Magic Playdough

Discussion in 'General Education' started by flowerpower31, Sep 4, 2011.

1. flowerpower31

flowerpower31 Comrade

Sep 4, 2011

For those of you who have tried it: did the food coloring stain the kids' hands? Did it get on their clothes? I'd love to use it, but I'm afraid of having that happen!

If I do it, I will do it in the baggie at first like the instructions say, but I'd love for them to be able to take it out of the bag once it's mixed!

3. EDUK8_ME

EDUK8_ME Cohort

Sep 4, 2011

I am not familiar with this recipe but I do make a cooked playdough recipe with Kool Aid. I would definitely make it in bags. Once it is mixed well, it shouldn't stain hands.

4. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Sep 4, 2011

Not sure what "magic" you are talking about unless it is the white playdough in individual bags with food coloring inside the balls that has been pinned lately. I haven't used it but just be careful to use only a couple of drops of food coloring and it should be fine. Either way, it will wash out (eventually :lol:)

5. jeifer

jeifer Rookie

Sep 4, 2011

I did a ball of playdough the size of a golf ball and one drop of food coloring in the middle. My kids took it out of the bag to mix it. It didn't stain their hands. And it changed enough for them to be super excited about the color.

Last year my husband made it for me but put like 3 drops and it did get on their hands. By the end of the day their hands were clean though.

6. crunchytxmama

crunchytxmama Companion

Sep 4, 2011

I used it this year on the first day of school. I tried it out on my own kids before I gave it to the students. More than one drop of food coloring seemed to make it really sticky and made it stain their hands. One drop, however, didn't really make very exciting colors. I'm thinking next year of trying the gel. The activity was really fun for the first day!

7. Miss.W

Miss.W Companion

Sep 4, 2011

When tested it out on my hands last year, it stained mine. Instead, I just got a ball of colored playdough and put it in the middle of the white playdough. They can't see it and it changes the playdough color just the same. :)

8. teach24iam

teach24iam Comrade

Sep 4, 2011

I used liquid watercolor paint....worked just the same, but no stains at all...the kool aid will change the color as well and add a nice scent... I have also added peppermint extract around the holidays and some others that I can't think of right now...

9. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Sep 4, 2011

I used yellow playdough in the middle and blue on the outside and when they mixed it it turned green and they loved it with no staining problems. All of the playdough was home made with no problems.

10. flowerpower31

flowerpower31 Comrade

Sep 4, 2011

I love this idea! I think I'm gonna do this. Thanks!

11. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Sep 4, 2011