Magic 'e'

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by dizzykates, Dec 9, 2010.

1. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Dec 9, 2010

How do you introduce and practice magic 'e'?

I am reading a book with two examples - here and bike.
    I would like to capitalize on this opportunity to somehow sort words and work with magic e as a whole class.

Anyone have earth shattering ideas?

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Dec 9, 2010

I bring in a magic wand. Then we change words by adding or deleting the e. The students love it!

4. Falcon Flyer

Falcon Flyer Companion

Dec 9, 2010

I really enjoy Saxon phonics way of teaching it. Instead of calling it "magic e" they call it sneaky e. You call up four students and give each a letter of a word, like pine. Each child says the sound of their letter, and the vowel says the short sound. Then, when it's the e's turn, they sneak behind the vowel and tap them on the shoulder. Now the vowel says the long sound and the students sound out the word correctly. I know it sounds convulted (the Saxon directions are much clearer!) but try it out. My kids loved it and they really related to a "sneaky" character. I guess you could do the same thing, though, and still call it magic. Instead of sneaking, it could use a wand like the OP said.

5. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Dec 9, 2010

I call it "Mean Mr. E" in my class. The kids love it and really remember to use this trick. The idea is this: Mean Mr. E always hangs out at the end of some words. When he is there, he tells the vowel in the middle, "You say your name, and I'll be quiet!!" (we say this in a mean voice). Mean Mr. E tells the vowel to say its name, he frightens them, which makes them say the vowel long sound. He remains quiet.
    I have a poster in my room with an illustration of "Mean Mr. E" at the end of words making a mean face.

6. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Dec 10, 2010

:lol::lol::lol:

That's hilarious! And a great mnemonic. I'm hardly surprised the kids love it.

7. teacherpippi

teacherpippi Habitué

Dec 10, 2010

Sitton Spelling teaches "Bossy E" and "Sleepy E." I like this because it explains both the E that makes the vowel say its name *and* the times the E doesn't change the vowel.

8. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Dec 10, 2010

I like this! I always used "magic e" before, but I will remember this for if I ever teach the little ones again.

9. kab164

kab164 Companion

Dec 16, 2010

Magic e

I do the magic e lesson. I type up a sheet of words like slim, cap, man, Pet, and tub. Together we sound the words out. Then I give the students a magic 'wand' (which is a fancy pencil they get to keep). They print an e at the end of the word we just sounded out and sprinkle 'magic dust' on the vowel. Now we sound out the word again, this time making the long vowel sound.

I reinforce by saying "cap becomes cape when you add the magic e."

They like this and I think it means more when they are actually actively involved in the lesson.

10. cjw4ua

cjw4ua Rookie

Dec 16, 2010