Made the big move

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by Steph-ernie, Jul 2, 2005.

1. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Jul 2, 2005

Well, I have finally made the big move from California to Arizona! I moved out of my parents' house (FINALLY!) and into my very own apartment in a whole new state!! It's kinda weird being here all by myself, especially without teaching to keep me occupied. The first teacher work day is August 15th, so I've got a month and a half to get myself acclimated and get my home and classroom set up before then. It's very exciting, but boy is it HOT in this state!! The day I moved into my upstairs apartment it was 112 degrees! It was miserable trying to carry all of my furniture up the stairs in that kind of weather. Now that it's time to get everything put away in their proper spot. Very exciting!!!

3. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 2, 2005

Congratulations! Hope you love it there.

4. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jul 2, 2005

Congrats! I visited Arizona in August a few years ago and oh boy was it hot!! haha What part of Az are you in? Hope every thing falls into place for you! :)

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 2, 2005

Congratulations, Steph, and best of luck to you as you put your stamp on your new home. What an exciting time.

6. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Jul 2, 2005

Congrats on moving. I hope everything works out for you! Good Luck.

7. mrs. dub

mrs. dub Companion

Jul 3, 2005

I did the same thing in 1997. I hated CA and now consider myself a native Arizonan. Hope you enjoy the cacti and the heat--welcome!

8. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Jul 3, 2005

Wow, new job and a whole new state!! You're much braver than I am!

Good luck with both!

9. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Jul 5, 2005

Thanks everybody! I don't have internet in my new home yet, so I am coming to the library every few days to check email and check in here, etc. I am in the city of Yuma, which is in the corner of Arizona, between California and Mexico. So far so good. I got to go into my new classroom for the first time today, and it's completely overwhelming to think about setting it up! I also have about 12 teacher edition textbooks in the backseat of my car right now!

10. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 5, 2005

I'm hoping for you that your classroom is air conditioned!

11. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jul 5, 2005

Steph, glad you're getting yourself settled in, and hope you get your internet up and running soon... it's like going through withdrawal!!! :) Good luck with preperations for the year! :)

12. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 6, 2005

And if you ever feel lonely, check in here and PM someone (I'm always available). It is not easy to start out on your own.

13. lowrie

lowrie Companion

Jul 6, 2005

Congratulations on making such a big move! Best of luck as you get organized and set up, and seriously, if you do get lonely, Upsadaisy has a great suggestions, pm someone (I'm usually around too) and ease that loneliness :)

14. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Jul 7, 2005

Thanks guys,
    I have gotten homesick a few times, but it usually only lasts a few minutes, until I can distract myself and get over it!

15. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Jul 7, 2005

Hey Steph,

I know what you are talking about with getting homesick... I am avail for private message also and I can honestly tell you it does get better (been there done that).

Melissa

16. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Jul 7, 2005

Steph. I can see there are a lot of things to get used to being in a new state. (temperature is NOT east to ignore- That alone is a HUGE difference)I would love to hear back from you on the coolest things you learned about your new area that you DIDNT have at Calif. Have you any plans for outdoor nature hikes, biking, paddling? What can you do for the next Month before school starts? Hang in there and Stay cool! Ruth

17. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Jul 9, 2005

Ruth, I will definitely let everyone know my favorite part of Arizona after I have figured it out! Right now it's too dang hot to do anything outside! They were saying on the news the other night that this week it will hit 116. Yikes!!!! I've got a lot of stuff to do in the next month to prepare for the start of school. In fourth grade, the social studies curriculum is Arizona history, which of course, I know nothing about, so I have the textbook at home to learn all about Arizona history in the next month or so!

18. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Jul 14, 2005

Hey steph
    I'm moving this summer too! We can talk and be homesick together! (hopefully not too homesick though!)
    The change from New Mexico to Idaho is gonna be a shock though! I'll have to buy some winter clothes. I hardly ever wear anything heavier than a sweatshirt here ;)
    Once our car broke down in Yuma. It was about a bazillion degrees outside and I had to try to keep the babies quiet while our parents looked for a mechanic...hot hot hot ;)

19. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Jul 14, 2005

Wow - New Mexico to Idaho - that would be quite a shock! Good luck with that. When are you going to move? I think I would much rather have heat than snow, but today it was supposed to reach 116 here. That's a little out of control!

20. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Jul 15, 2005

I move August 16...but trying to get packed and ready to go on top of working a couple of jobs...at least it's only been about 103 here, I can take all the kids I nanny for to the pool...116 would be really hot to have little ones outside in! (or grownups for that matter :) )