Made a wrong career move

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by addison2008, Aug 25, 2014.

1. addison2008

addison2008 New Member

Aug 25, 2014

I recently moved to a new area. I had one year of experience teaching at an alternative high school. I accepted a job in Bradenton, FL at a charter school, thinking the hours were the same as the public schools. They are actually 9-5 on campus, plus some meetings at 8:30 and some from 6-8 at night.

My daughter just started kindergarten. After only being into the second of week of teaching, I can see this is not going to work. I am a single parent. Our life is literally wake-up, go to school, come home and go to bed and of course work all week-ends. We never see each other. I want to quit. If I quit a charter school, will I ever be hired again?

I knew the hours were long, but there is no balance here at all. The demands at this school are very high and I am not making enough money to afford even afford a one bedroom apt in this area. I don't know what to do, but I don't think I can do this for another week. Any advice is appreciated My only other option riight now is to work 100%commision as a health and life insurance agent, as I am already certified. I have never been so unhappy and feel like I am neglecting my child.

3. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 25, 2014

I quit a charter last year. It had similar hours- 7:30-6 with a 30 minute lunch. No planning period. We had a grade level meeting from 7:30-8. Kids from 8-4. Staff meeting from 4:30-6. It usually took 30 minutes to load buses since we used public transit buses. That ate up the half hour gap that I have in there.

Anyway, I quit to take a long term subbing job. No benefits. Temporary. My pay was standard sub pay for days 1-20 and on day 21 I received a large pay jump.

The problem- the teacher came back from maternity leave at Christmas. I had to day-to-day sub in January. We had a lot of snow days, which meant I didn't get paid at all. Luckily I landed a contracted position at the end of January. I had to commute 90 miles each way/180 miles per day.

I landed a contracted (local!) job for next school year at a public school.

So- you can get jobs after quitting a charter. Both jobs that I've taken know that I was hired in at a charter and that I quit it. I've never actually let them know that I began the school year with them, and I left it completely off of my resume since it was only a few weeks. (Most don't question whether or not I taught there since by law our school year starts after Labor Day. They are on an extended school year plan (I think 200 student days) so they started at the beginning of August.

Can you financially survive if you quit? If yes, go ahead and quit now since it will not work for you.

4. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 25, 2014

Just check your education code in your state if you are thinking of not listing this job on your resume. We were told at a workshop that this was grounds for dismissal.

5. daisycakes

daisycakes Companion

Aug 25, 2014

Yes, I have quit a charter school and I have known many others to do so as well.

6. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 25, 2014

Seriously? Not listing a job on a resume is grounds for dismissal? Even with education related jobs, my resume would be a mile long! Most people do not list jobs that they only held for a few months on resumes, much less jobs that they held for mere weeks. I would never recommend lying about it, but I don't think it take up precious space on a resume.

7. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Aug 25, 2014

I rarely ever recommend a teacher quitting. However, with what you describe, I have to make an exception. I think you should seriously think about leaving this school. You seem to see early on how this is effecting your family.

Continue weighing your options and I am confident you will reach the correct decision.

8. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 25, 2014

That's what they told us this past week.