'Mad Scientist' ideas for Halloween

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Jem, Sep 29, 2008.

1. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Sep 29, 2008

3. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Sep 29, 2008

I"m sure you already know about this one....how about mixing vinegar and baking soda? You can use film canisters and put the baking soda in the cannister (sp?) and the vinegar in the lid. When you put the lid on and put it upside down on teh ground, the cannister pops off like a rocket.

4. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Sep 29, 2008

Steve Spangler has tons of ideas on his blog and website, and most of them involve stuff people already have around the house!

If you sign up for his Experiment of the Week, you'll get a free experiment in your email weekly, and those involve freebies, too.

Steve's going to be on Ellen tomorrow; check your TV Guide for times and watch. He's so much fun!

5. La Profesora

La Profesora Cohort

Sep 29, 2008

6. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Sep 29, 2008

We did a science lab. theme at my church for VBS this summer... we did the mentos in coke bottles, we made goo, did a sink or float experiment (like a peeled orange vs. an unpeeled orange), and things like that- I can get you exact directions for anything if you want.
    The one thing that I remember that was easy off the top of my head was putting a hex nut (you can probably find one at the hardware store) inside a regular latex balloon, then hold the balloon in between your hands, and when you spin it, it makes an unusually loud sound ...I'm not sure why (the science part of it), but I'm sure you could find that one online. The kids loved it.
    What a great Halloween idea! Good luck!

7. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 29, 2008

He's going to be on Ellen tomorrow!!

8. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Sep 29, 2008

TeacherC, the hex nut in the balloon thing is Steve's, too. There's a video of it on his website. Steve Spangler is my hero.

9. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Sep 29, 2008

I thought it might be there...he has everything! :)

10. Electron

Electron Rookie

Sep 29, 2008

Dry ice - and lots of it! You can usually get it from the grocery store; ask the meat and frozen goods guys when the truck comes in. It's good for fog with a cheap fog machine, of course, but there are other things too.

Get some beakers of food-coloring-colored water and plop some in there just before your kids get in, for example - 'mad scientist' style bubbling and 'smoking' potions!. Another good one is water with a bunch of detergent in it with dry ice in the bottom... bizarre opaque bubble 'columns' that ooze out of the top, and when you touch them, burst in a puff of CO2-H2O vapor :D

11. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Sep 29, 2008

I also really like Steve Spangler. But, I don't think he puts the science part of the activities into kid terms very well. I look on his website and also get his weekly experiments but they do not really explain why certain things happen. At least, to me, his explanations can be rather long and confusing.

But I still do his experiments, but more as a fun time, not a full experiment. I really like the lava lamp one, did it last year on Halloween

12. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

13. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Sep 29, 2008

You beat me to the punch....wahhhhhhhhh, I'm gonna go sulk in a corner now. Dry ice is my favorite tool for halloween special effects...and you get to introduce a fancy new big word...sublimation!!!

14. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Sep 29, 2008

Grrrr. So the owner of the school thinks that doing pumpkin math AND mad science on the same day is overstimulating. What??? For third graders? She said we could do our normal desk work (newsflash: we don't do desk work) and it would still be exciting simply because it was Halloween (we're not allowed to dress up, btw). Because I'm not in the mood to fight, I'm just going to do the pumpkin math, and then have a pumpkin themed open house in the afternoon, with parents invited. We'll have pumpkin food. I asked if I could invite parents to volunteer, so it will be our 'thank you' to the volunteers.... a passive aggressive party, if you will. I'll save the crazy science for Jan or Feb when we need a fun day. But I'm still cranky about it. How did I get stuck in this school???? Was I not clear enough in my interview when I gushed on and on and on and on for over an hour about my BIG IDEAS????????????

15. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Sep 29, 2008

Sorry, that just stinks for you, but you can still put dry ice in the pumpkin juice :D

16. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 29, 2008

Ugh! Jem, this stinks for you!! I know there are some schools around here that would be clamoring at your door to work for them! This principal doesn't sound like they know anything about education. Is the principal and the owner the same person? I know you said the owner doesn't have an education degree.

17. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Sep 30, 2008

Different people, same philosophy.