Mad Math Minute

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by MrsV, Jun 26, 2007.

1. MrsV

MrsV Rookie

Jun 26, 2007

Hey everyone!

I am planning on using mad math minutes in my classroom next year.

My master teacher last year used them. She laminated each page and the kids wrote on them with washable markers and were able to erase and use the same mad minutes all year. She uses them over and over for many years.

I would really like to do mine this way as well. She actually gave me one of each of the originals and I want to start copying and laminating, so I am not overwhelmed at the beginning of the school year.

The problem I am having is that I don't know how many to make of each of the different mad minutes. I know I will need a whole class set of the first one, because everyone begins on #1. I can't contact my master teacher because she is out of the country for a month.

Does anyone do mad minute this way or can tell me where I might find an answer? Thanks!

3. Ms.T

Ms.T Comrade

Jun 26, 2007

That is a great idea!! I do Mad Minute and I hate that it uses so much paper and takes a long time for me to label new levels, etc.

I did it in 2nd grade this past year; we did them about 4 days a week for half the year. Only 1 kid got up to A41. Almost everybody else got stuck at A21 or below. :(

I think maybe a whole class set for A11-A21 and then maybe 5 each of the others. If you find out you're getting close, you could just add more.

So, do they use dry erase markers, or Vis-a-Vis markers? And do you hard or soft laminate? Does it matter?

4. sayuri

sayuri Rookie

Jun 26, 2007

what an interesting idea. yes, we do timed tests also. i hate the copies that it takes up. i would love to hear more about how you laminate or keep track of how well the students do.

currently, my students do 30 questions in one minute. we self-correct as a class and then they do 5 times each of the problems they missed. they get a parent signature stamp to take home that evening. so much to copy and file afterwards!

5. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Jun 26, 2007

What is the book that you have to buy to get the backline masters of the sheets? I would love to do this next year as well, my collegue gave me copies of A11-A21 but I want to have my own resource.

6. Lesley

Lesley Habitué

Jun 26, 2007

Very neat idea. I have done many things by laminating and the kids do the work on the laminate-they can write with crayon it just wipes off with dry paper towel.

7. MrsV

MrsV Rookie

Jun 26, 2007

You can use any laminate really. The kids use regular Crayola (or any brand) washable markers.

The teacher walks around the room as they are timed. When the teacher calls time (1 minute), the kids who are finished bring their mad minutes up to the teacher to be checked. The kids who don't finish erase and wait until the teacher starts an other minute round.The teacher goes through and checks all the problems for those who finished. If the child misses any, they have to go back, erase everything and start over (just like the kids who didn't finish). If the student got everything right, they pass on to the next mad minute.

8. Youngteacher226

Jun 26, 2007

Can anybody tell me the name of the actual book that I can purchase for Mad Minutes?????????????

9. Johnny Orgovan

Johnny Orgovan Rookie

Jun 26, 2007

Check out my Mad Minute Relay idea at the Mad Minute Relay thread.

10. Ms.T

Ms.T Comrade

Jun 27, 2007

Youngteacher, I don't have a whole set either. I just get them from one of my coworkers. (I should really make a whole set sometime.) I'm not sure, but it seems that they might not be in print anymore. If I'm not mistaken, MM has been around for a long time. Maybe ebay has them?

11. Lesley

Lesley Habitué

Jun 27, 2007

Try amazon.com

12. mstnteacherlady

mstnteacherlady Cohort

Jun 27, 2007

I'm not exactly sure what Mad Math Minute is, but I have a book called Math Minutes that has 100 one-minute activities that cover different skills. I got it because it covers many of the skills that are tested. Most of the questions are problem-solving questions and it has sections that are built to increase speed in working basic math operations. It's not the same as what I understand you're talking about, but if you are interested...

It is called Math Minutes: One Hundred Minutes to Better Basic Skills.
    Here is a link for a first grade book: http://www.amazon.com/First-Grade-Math-Minutes-Hundred-Better/dp/1574718126/ref=sr_1_2/103-2932004-0503021?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1182998613&sr=8-2

You can also search amazon for other books as well.

13. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Jun 28, 2007

The book is simply called, Mad Minutes. It has a blue cover and I believe I found it on Amazon. Everyone in my school comes to me to use my copy... too funny. It's well worth the purchase I must say.

14. Youngteacher226

Jun 28, 2007

I looked on Amazon, but didn't find a book that sounds like this. Can you provide a link to the actual book. There are so many diff. titles, but none that sounds like this one. Thanks.:)

15. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Jun 28, 2007