MA in Curriculum/Instruction vs. MA in Elementary Ed

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by veg_guy, May 22, 2005.

1. veg_guy

veg_guy Rookie

May 22, 2005

Hi everyone,

Can someone tell me what the difference is between a Master's in Curriculum/Instruction and a Master's in Education? Can either one be used to teach at the elementary level?

Thanks,

Ed

3. Irissa

Irissa Cohort

May 23, 2005

Every degree is different at every school. My understanding is that a C&I degree focuses more on the why and wherefor of C&I and not on any particular subect area. This degree most likely will NOT allow you to teach.

A masters in a particular area still may or may not make you eligible to teach. My University (where I use to work before I went back to teaching) has both teaching and advanced tracks.

Call the school and ask to speak to a College of Ed Advisor (or whatever their title is) they can help you determine what is right for you.

Ris

4. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

May 23, 2005

You will probably already have your BSE (or some other), and/or teacher's license. If not, you can go through your states alternative certification program, and then do one of these. I'm looking into C&I masters and PHD. programs also. Either will help you advance your career in education. If you already have an Early Childhood Education/Elementary Education degree, you might want to look into C&I. If not, you may want to look into a masters in Elementary Education. Either is good, depending on which college you're looking at.

5. veg_guy

veg_guy Rookie

May 23, 2005

Thanks for the replies! I should say a little more about my current circumstance. I have lots of different degrees but none of them are education related. So I'm starting from scratch here. I live in CA and am looking into a Masters of Education in Curriculum and Instruction program that has elementary education credential coursework embedded in it. I know that I'll be able to teach in CA since I'll be doing my credential coursework along with my Masters. I'm assuming that this sort of background will transfer to other states as well but I'm not 100% sure. I know some states (like Massachusetts and Kentucky) require a Masters in Eduation within a certain timeframe but I'm not sure if a Masters of Education in Curriculum/Instruction will fulfill that requirement or if it has to be a Masters in Elementary Education.

6. Irissa

Irissa Cohort

May 24, 2005

Every state has a different requirement as to what they want for certification. If calf. has a degree that imbeds the classes and your transcript from that college reads "state approved program" then you shouldn't have a problem transfering most anywhere. I spent 6 years advising in a college of Ed program so saw lots of different things but most states have a stamp on transcript.
    My suggestion is to look at that state's DOE webpage and see what they say about certification.

Ris

7. veg_guy

veg_guy Rookie

May 25, 2005

The "every state has a different requirement as to what they want for certification" part of becoming a teacher is what I find so frustarting. Anyway, I think I'll be okay. Even though the Masters I'm looking into is called Curriculum and Instruction, the actual content is more akin to a Masters in Elementary Ed. It may just take some extra explaining and headaches if I move elsewhere.

8. litlmama

litlmama Comrade

May 25, 2005

My personal opinion on the entire Master's thing, and this is from experience. It's a rehash of everything that was taught during teacher prep, which means it's all review for a HUGE sum of money for a slight pay increase and all it does is make the schools look better to the parents because the teacher's have Master's Degrees. MAybe that's a bad attitude, but when I pay money I want and expect to learn things that are not common sense items...

ok- you caught me. I'm a bit bitter about that...

As for moving, figure out where you want to be veg guy. I went from one state to another and finally jumped my last hurdle after seven years of ridiculous requirements. I'm talking really stupid, time wasting, mind numbing things, like modification for slower learners (common sense)...

9. veg_guy

veg_guy Rookie

May 25, 2005

Fortuntately the program I'm looking at only requires one class beyond the credential work to get a masters, so it's not a big deal.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure where I ultimately want to settle down so I'll have to be prepared to jump through some hoops. :(

10. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

May 25, 2005

I understand litlmama's point. It will be a rehash of undergrad school. You don't have a BSE:EC so it will be different for you. The plus for me is the small stipend from the school, and later in life I may want to teach at a college level. You know, after teaching for 30 years or so.

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 25, 2005

Does curriculum and instruction open pathways to positions such as 'Staff Developer'- Also if you are interested in administration at some point down the road, this may be the major to choose.

12. awaxler

awaxler Comrade

May 25, 2005

veg guy,

since you stated that you have many degrees, but "none in education" a Masters will not be a rehash of anything. My Bachelors was in Government/Politcal Science and my Masters was in Elementary Ed., therefore everything I learned in my Masters was completely new. Sounds like you may be in the same boat as I was.

Also, having a Masters will make it easier to move from state to state. At least it was for me. I am in the process of moving from NY (where it still seems to be winter) to Florida. Since NY had many requirements for certifcation, including obtaining a Masters degree, getting my Florida certifcation was simply a few clicks of the mouse and a check for $53.

As far as which degree to go for...I went with Elementary Ed. for a few reasons. One, with my bachelors all I needed was 18 ed. credits to teach secondary education...15 of those 18 credits were applicable to my Elem. Masters...Once I had a job teaching middle school I continued taking a few classes per year until my Masters was finished and now I am certified k-6 and 7-12 social studies.

However, what I liked most about my elementary ed. program was all the constructivist strategies I learned. I was able to take what I was learning for elementray education and apply that to middle school with great success. I think that it is unfortunate that too often secondary education moves away from many of the proven elementary methods of teaching.

--Adam Waxler

13. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

May 25, 2005

Does CA have the same credential program as AR? We have the PRAXIS test series, which is recognized in all states.

14. AMK

AMK Aficionado

May 25, 2005

I understand litlemama's point as well. I took some great classes and had some really great professors when I was taking classes for my masters. There were 2 occasions I felt as though I could have taught the class.
    But in some districts here in NJ they will help pay for your masters so it is nice.

15. veg_guy

veg_guy Rookie

May 25, 2005

AWAXLER: Thanks for the post. Yes, we are in similar situations. After having looked at a number of states' requirements, it seems like getting a masters is important to moving from state to state. Or at least facilitates the process. And I'm sure I'll learn a lot in the process. I'm choosing the easiest path I can to my masters. There are programs out here that are more rigorous (i.e., more classes and credits) but I already have two masters (yes, I'm insane!) and want to spend as little time as possible getting a third one.

MISS W: No, CA doesn't use the Praxis. We use the CSET, which was designed specifically for the state of CA. If you look on the front page of the discussion forums, there are a couple of forums devoted solely to the CSET. Lots of people have been pulling their hair out over this test. At the elementary level, you also have to pass a reading assessment that tests your ability to provide reading instruction, diagnose problems, etc.