M O S A I C of THOUGHT

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by TeacherShelly, Jun 25, 2011.

1. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jun 25, 2011

Not sure if this is a vent but I don't think it is. I'm reading Mosaic of Thought and it is a tough read for me. Ironic, isn't it, that a book about reading comprehension is so hard for me to comprehend? Haha.

I've finished two chapters and am eager to get to the strategies. No one ever taught me to comprehend. I make connections, reread, ask questions while reading - just naturally, though.

Reading this book so far is like floating in a life boat in the middle of an ocean but not knowing how to get to shore.

Help?

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 25, 2011

Sending you a pm.

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 25, 2011

I felt very much the same way with reading Mosiac of Thought. Hearing them model and discuss their strategy use was a foreign concept to me.

Pick up a copy of Strategies that Work to read when you finish this one. It is much more classroom oriented and complements Mosiac of Thought (same authors).

5. teacherheath

teacherheath Companion

Jun 25, 2011

It's been YEARS since I read that one.
    The thing that sticks out for me was about kids making 3 types of connections to text:
    1. Text to self--relating experiences/parts of the text to their own experiences.
    2. Text to text--relating parts of the text to other text.
    3. Text to world--relating parts of the text to world events.
    In addition to this, I really like the visualizing/verbalizing stuff from Lindamood-Bell. It teaches kids to make pictures/movies in their heads as they read.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 26, 2011

You are referring to the comprehension strategy of activating schema. There are other comprehension strategies which proficient readers use consistently and automatically. Teaching students to be aware of and to utilize these strategies deepens understanding.

7. Zabeth

Zabeth Rookie

Jun 26, 2011

Debbie Miller's "Reading with Meaning" is exceptionally -- well -- readable, and is grounded on the ideas of Mosaic of Thought. She as a lovely conversational, inspirational style. After you read Miller, I think Mosaic will make more sense to you.

Good luck! I'm still working through Mosaic of Thought myself.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 26, 2011

Mosaic is the philosophy...Miller is the 'how to':thumb:

9. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 26, 2011

I loved Debbie Miller's "Reading with Meaning" as well. If you've never really been aware of what is going on when reading, it takes time to become comfortable with consciously making meaning and able to model and teach this to students.

10. Zabeth

Zabeth Rookie

Jun 26, 2011

And this is my challenge, as a supply teacher (think sub to those of you in the States) trying to get on as a classroom teacher: when I get into the classroom, I have this completely unrealistic expectation that I'll be able to teach like Debbie Miller right away!

How can I, as a mid-40s third-career person, be patient and decide it's okay to grow into the profession?

End threadjack.

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 26, 2011

Small steps...you don't hae to be Debbie Miller or set your classroom up like hers...start by teaching some comprehension strategy lessons...focusing deeply on one strategy at a time, and circling back to previously taught strategies. Small steps make a big difference!:love:

12. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 26, 2011

I completely agree! Change or set up one small part to focus on and slowly improve and add another piece. It takes time to become great!

13. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 14, 2011

I have this book as well as Reading With Meaning. Both have their benefits.

Probably the best thing I have done is find where teachers have collaborated and contributed sheets with the strategies online- the Mosaic listserv, which many teachers know about. When I read a book, it has to be extremely engaging for me to read cover-to-cover. Personally Reading With Meaning is more interesting, in my opinion, but it's probably because I am more of an application kind of person. I do like both, though. :)

(Especially when I found Mosaic of Thought at a used bookstore for less than $10.00!)