m.O.O.S.E Folders/Binders

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by jaszmyn, May 28, 2008.

1. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jul 8, 2008

This is what I do. I usually get the yellow poly 3 prong folders, but they can get expensive, so I decided this year to get regular one cent folders from Staples. I got two sets so in January the kids will get new folders. They wont be as nice as the poly folders, but they'll be cheaper!

I print on shipping labels "B.E.E. Book - Bring Everything Everyday!" with cute bee clip art and stick it on the front. On the inside I have address labels that say LEFT at home and Bring RIGHT back on the pockets with hand print clip art. Then in the prongs I put a sheet protector. At the beginning of the year in first grade it held a page with an alphabet chart and then a little later in the year a sheet with all our word wall words.

I wonder if gluing a ziplock bag to the inside of the "bring right back" side of a pocket folder would work instead of having a pencil case.

I wonder if all that makes sense!

2. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jul 9, 2008

Does anyone know where there are some good sales on pocket folders (with binder holes)? I have so many of the 1 cent folders from Staples, but without holes they're not going to do me much good. I still need to buy the zip pouches, too. These BEE/MOOSE/IPOD/etc binders get to be so expensive!

3. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Jul 9, 2008

I bought the penny folders! I just turned them inside out and hole punched them. Worked great! You can only do one folder at a time, but the extra time was worth it! I'm supplying the folders and sheet protectors, but I am sending home a letter requesting a binder and zip pouch. Hopefully you'll be able to keep the zip pouches for a few years, they seem pretty sturdy! :)

4. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jul 9, 2008

Same here! I use regular pocket folders, turn them inside out and three-hole punch them. They hold up very well.

5. Daisha

Daisha Companion

Jul 13, 2008

I like the pocket folders idea. Last year I had purchased nice very high quality and expensive binders and found that they held up for about four months. I was upset, and stopped using the idea and just went to one homework folder.

6. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Jul 13, 2008

We have these folders. Our school buys each student one every year. 1st graders get the grey/silver color, and 2nd graders get the green color. They're actually quite nice and last all year. I'm going to use these for my S.T.A.R. folders.

7. Daisha

Daisha Companion

Jul 14, 2008

Miss W,
    Our school is getting those for next year, they look really sturdy. I sure hope they hold up longer than my binders did.

8. RugRats

RugRats Companion

Jul 14, 2008

We used these at my old school and I loved them!!! I put a paper clip at the top to keep any note I sent home in the front see through cover (Some kiddos would carry them upside down and anything smaller than notebook paper size would fall out). They'd also store their book to read that night in that front cover. They lasted the whole year!!!!

9. Sheree

Sheree Companion

Jul 14, 2008

I do the same thing but I laminate them! Then, I use a sharp blade to make the slit for the folder. It makes the folders more durable. In NJ, the state has a few teacher resource centers (works like a library for teachers), I can laminate there for 25 cents a foot. It's a lot of cutting though!:rolleyes:

10. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jul 14, 2008

The cheapest laminating I can get around here is .75 a foot. Staples charges 3.00 a foot!! Outrageous! I hope I can laminate at school for free. :)

11. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Jul 14, 2008

We use those folders too, and I really like them...but they just don't fit my organizational needs. So I'll use them for something else I'm sure around the classroom, but I can't wait to just say "open your Star to your math folder" and EVERYONE know right were that is!"

12. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Jul 14, 2008

Yeah, I love the organization of it all! My 2nd graders know where everything is at all times. When they check out books for home, they know where to put it (in the pocket). When they need to write their book titles in their reading log, they know their reading log is always in the first plastic sleeve, when parents need to find out what day their child has PE, they know that the specials schedule is always in there. It's just a nice thing to have for the parents sake and the children's sake. Especially those students who may not be that organized and can be very forgetful at times. I had a student who would forget to blink her eyes if they didn't blink automatically. :eek:By October, she was so independent and knew that her homework was always in her STAR when she got to school so that she could turn it in. (Although it did take her a minute or two to remember that :lol:)

13. teaching4God

teaching4God Cohort

Jul 19, 2008

What do you use for dividers?

14. jaszmyn

jaszmyn Comrade

Jul 21, 2008

I plan on using pocket folders to act as dividers and also hold the necesary papers. But I have known other teachers to use laminated constuction paper.

15. cgibbs7

cgibbs7 Rookie

Jul 25, 2008

I liked the idea of the MOOSE binders and did some searching.

I am going to use ROCKET binders. Really Organized Children Keeping Everything Together.

16. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Jul 25, 2008

For dividers, I cut tag board into 9 by 11.5 sheets (so they'd be just slightly larger than any papers I'd be using), labeled them with computer labels - words and clip art - and then laminated them. We have a teacher resource center that has paper, tag, Ellison punches, laminators, Zoomer copiers, etc. and it's all free for teachers, to it cost me nothing but time.

I used the 5 cent poly binders from Staples, and found 50 cent zippered pouches from Walmart.

My only complaint doing it the way I did is that I can't really label the binders with a large sheet of paper. I did computer labels for each kid, and I'm going to go over them with packing tape, but I'd love a bright, colorful cover. There's no way I'm spending the $$ to buy 45 of those clear-view binders, however, and I want them all done by the time I meet the parents so that I can introduce them to the the concept. I hope they last!
    Kim

17. firstgradeteach

firstgradeteach Comrade

Jul 30, 2008

I used these last year. I loved them but would need to use a different kind of notebook. I used the cardboard notebooks covered in the plastic type material. Most looked terrible by the end of the year. I am going to try to 25 cent notebooks this year.

I used freezer ziplock quart bags that i hole punched in place of the zipper pouches. I was surprised that they outlived the actual notebooks!!!! I would prefer zipper pouches but didn't want to fork up the money.

I used plastic sleeves and a folder in each notebook. The plastic sleeves had my contact info, special schedule, current spelling list, DRA graph, and behavior chart. The folder had a keep at home and send back to school side. This year I will spend more money and buy the plastic folders. My normal folders were all falling out half way through the year.

My students kept their sight words in the clean ziplock baggie. I didn't have a special place for money, they just put it in the return to school side.

I have a lot of work to do to fix my MANY problems last year.

18. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 1, 2008

I wish someone would/could post pictures showing everything in their folder! For some reason, I'm just not getting it, and I'm fascinated with the idea!

19. Pooh42

Pooh42 Companion

Aug 2, 2008

pwhatley

This site might give you an idea of what it looks like

http://www.smithsroom.com/moose notebook.htm

I am using them for the first time this year also:) I am calling mine J.U.N.G.L.E

20. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jul 23, 2009

Wal-mart just put out BOXES of these zippered pouches in all kinds of colors -- and yes, they are still 97 cents each. I wanted to buy all new ones because they looked so nice, but the ones I've been using for the past 3 years are still in great shape, so I'm going to be frugal and reuse them again this year.

21. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 24, 2009

I got mine this year at Target for 50 cents each

22. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 24, 2009

Thanks, Pooh42! Mine will be T.I.G.E.R.! binders (Today I've Got Everything Ready!)