M.Ed in Elementary Education

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by jambey, May 5, 2017.

1. jambey

jambey New Member

May 5, 2017

Hey all,

I'm new here. Hope this is the right place for my post.

I am from the UK, and whilst I am not a teacher, I have planned and taught my own lessons, booster groups, interventions etc. I recently got onto a M.Ed Elementary Education course in the USA with a concentration in STEM education (a big interest of mine). I don't have an kind of teacher certificate (whether from the UK or USA), but I want to work in private schools as a teacher after this course anyway.

I begin in August, flying over in July to settle in, but as it draws closer, I am getting very nervous and I feel I am not going to know anything compared to what other people on the course with me will know, especially as pretty much all of them will be teachers with lots of experience, etc! Any advice or words of wisdom on this?

Also, the M.Ed concludes with Teacher Action Research, but my visa means I cannot work as it's only a student visa. How could I conduct Action Research if I am not a teacher or working in education whilst undertaking the course? This is bugging me and making me question if I could even complete the masters!

It's a dream of mine to study and do this course in the USA, but as it edges closer I am doubting myself, my capabilities and feel I'm going to be behind everyone in terms of experience and knowledge on my course!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

J

3. Mrs Teacher

Mrs Teacher Rookie

May 6, 2017

I'd say go in with an open mind and try not to get anxious over what you may not know. Perhaps contact the school to find out what textbooks are being used and get them ahead of time? Or inquire about different authors/researchers/topics that you can read up on sooner than later?

To be honest, the hardest part will be learning the acronyms. I feel like education wins when it comes to most acronyms. I've been in education for 10 years and I still come across an acronym I don't know. lol

As for working, contact the school. I can't imagine they wouldn't be able to find you a student teaching unpaid position.

Ps. How will you support yourself if you're not allowed to work?? This baffles me! Haha

4. jambey

jambey New Member

May 6, 2017

Okay, thank you! I just worry as I'm not a teacher yet but I do work in education and have a bunch of experience with children and such in a variety of previous roles! Will not being a teacher yet be an issue do you think? Just the thought I'd be sat not knowing what these more experienced people are talking about lol! I will try and find out about textbooks etc.

as I said it's not really the not working bit that bothers me, it's how can I complete action research?

Well the visa allows part time work on campus only and I also got a decent scholarship from the school which covers 2/3s of my fees, which helps a lot.

Thanks for your reply!