Lying Student

Discussion in 'Behavior Management Archives' started by vmaguirr, Nov 26, 2006.

1. vmaguirr

vmaguirr New Member

Nov 26, 2006

I got a new student about 2 weeks ago. He is a behavior problem and has social issues. He has started lying about other students. He makes up stories and tries to get other students in trouble.

He will come up to me and say "He hit me at the carpet" or "In the bathroom, he pushed me". He will blame students who are really good students who I know wouldn't do those things.

I talk to both of the students and can tell the new student is making up stories.

Parents are complaining about the new student already.

I know that he may be trying to fit in with the class, but this is the wrong way.

The students don't want to be his friend because of his behavior. I don't know what to do because I feel so bad about him not having friends, but also don't blame the other students.

Any suggestions for the lying student?

3. synapse

synapse Comrade

Nov 27, 2006

I would start with the things you can directly control.

Start with your own perception/observation of this student. What does the student do (the behavior(s), frequency, duration, when they occur, etc.) that is problematic? What are the "social issues" that you refer to and why are they problematic? How do you feel about this student and how does that impact your interactions with him? What are you doing to develop a relationship with this student?
    What are you doing to help this new student become part of your class? How have you developed your class to welcome newcomers?
    How have you helped this child adjust academically?

4. vmaguirr

vmaguirr New Member

Nov 27, 2006

Thank you! Those are great questions to reflect upon.