Lunch

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by thera0705, Aug 31, 2009.

1. thera0705

thera0705 Rookie

Aug 31, 2009

Okay, I am trying to figure out some quick, easy, healthy meals to take for lunch. You all know that we have sooooo long to eat. I really want to find a few things that would keep my energy up. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!:)

3. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Aug 31, 2009

Cut up veggies; carrots, cucumbers, celery, etc, and add lite ranch to it, when you are ready to eat it. (Yummy!):cool:
    This can be 4 a snack during your 10 minute break.:D
    Rebel1

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 31, 2009

For energy, think protein. Keep some cheese and crackers and nuts on hand.

For lunch, I always liked leftovers best. Salads just wouldn't fill me up enough to get through the day.

5. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Aug 31, 2009

Cheese sticks, especially the lower fat versions like Sargento's or Weight Watchers, are also good and filling with some crackers; fruit; veggies; yogurt; hard-boiled egg. Be sure to have some protein in there to keep you going until after school.

6. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Aug 31, 2009

I usually make a sandwich. I also like to mix yogurt and granola. Some days I bring those cottage cheese doubles when I have no time or desire to make something.

7. 2inspire

2inspire Companion

Aug 31, 2009

I like to keep a variety of items on hand-and choose what parts I want depending on the day:

Each week I keep at school:

*Wheat thins or small bagels (tiny bagels this week-free w/purchase of Sara Lee bread)
    * Cubed cheese
    * Oscar Mayer chicken strips (blister pack for salads-I like the southwestern style)
    * 3 Yoplait Whips
    * Fruit (raspberries this week)

and always in my filing cabinet a pkg. of graham crackers and a tub of chocolate frosting :)

8. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Aug 31, 2009

Fiber one bars are good for a filling feeling when you are running out of time.

9. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Sep 1, 2009

Beware - my coworkers say these have led them to running to the bathroom as well!

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 1, 2009

Pepperidge Farm and Arnold have new bread out. They're called 'Sandwich Thins' by one brand, something else by the other. Essentially, they look like flat english muffins. They come in different flavors, are pre-split and are tasty. They make a nice small sandwich and are only 1 point on Weight Watchers. I like to spread with a little hummus, some lettuce, veg and low fat cheese.

11. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Sep 1, 2009

I buy the sandwich thins all the time. I actually got a double pack at the bread outlet that I froze. They thaw out in no time. I have been putting hummus on tortillas to make wraps but I think I will try them on the sandwich thins instead!

12. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Sep 1, 2009

Slightly off-topic: The sandwich thins are wonderful, but be careful if you try to toast them. I did this morning, and they turned into inedible bricks. They weren't burnt, just very solid!

Back to lunches--My staples are salads, yogurt, cheese and crackers, apple slices with peanut butter, and sometimes sandwiches. Every once in a while the generic version of Lean Cuisine goes on sale for $1 at our grocery store, and there are a few of those that I like. Because I only cook for one, I always eat my leftovers for dinner later in the week!

13. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Sep 1, 2009

I grab one of the 145 opened jars of peanut butter out of my cupboard, rummage in the fridge for a jar of jelly that doesn't have mold in it, buy a loaf of bread at the Quick Mart on the way to school, and put it in the teacher's lounge.

There's my lunch for about two weeks. Every day. Peanut butter sandwiches. I just don't care any more what I put in my mouth. I just want the break that comes with it.

Now if I could have something in my coffee in the morning.....

14. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Sep 1, 2009

I love those sandwich thins. (I am on WW and love that they are only 1 point) I don't have any problem toasting them, and perfer them that way==I buy Orowheat ones. Toasted, they come out chewy and crunchy.

15. ozteach

ozteach Comrade

Sep 2, 2009

I make a veggie slice on the weekend - eggs, frozen vegies (peas, corn, carrot), diced bacon, shredded cheese. Bake for 40 min, slice and take to school each day. Also, canned fruit and yoghurt for morning tea. Leftovers work for me too. Soup during winter.

16. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Sep 2, 2009

My "cheap" plan this year is to make salads. I want to make a batch of either tuna, chicken or egg salad, and then bring in lettuce and make wraps! I love them, they are relatively low calorie (if you use light mayo) and full of energy! I will probably also have some good crackers that I can top with the salads so I get a bit of carbs too.

I made a bunch of salads for a party this summer and used low fat yogurt and some mayo combined and they were great!

17. gab

gab Comrade

Sep 3, 2009

I love sandwich thins,toasted, with a 1/2 T peanut butter between the slices...I don't like too much peanut butter & it's only 2 points. We have a toaster in the staff kitchen which is nice and pb goes in cupboard aboabove my classroom sink along with Kelloggs Fiber Plus bars...only a half at a time because I find it filling and because a whole one upsets my tummy. I love grape tomatoes too for a yummy snack...0 points!

18. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Sep 3, 2009

I have no trouble with any Fiber One products. I think everyone's tummy is different :)

19. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Sep 3, 2009

Today I had a whole wheat bun with deli roast beef, tomato, pickels, lots of mayo and mustard. I'll take soups and lots of left overs from dinner the night before.

20. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Sep 4, 2009

I have the same thing each day. A frozen generic 'lean cuisine' type meal ($1.09), a piece of fresh fruit and a can of diet soda (or a bottle of water).
    Boring, but cheap, easy and semi-healthy.

21. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Sep 5, 2009

Sounds like a great thing for me! :D

22. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Sep 5, 2009

I try to keep boiled eggs in the school fridge. A great pick me up for lunch or after school. I am also on a sardine kick but I am afraid to eat those in the teachers' room!

To me the key is making the lunch the night before. Sandwich, soup, salad with tuna in a separate container, dinner leftovers, and I buy frozen low cal meals on sale and always keep them in the freezer for emergencies.

23. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Sep 5, 2009

I also keep yogurt, cheese, and cottage cheese on hand. For a long time my lunch was cottage cheese with frozen strawberries. Yummy! Another thing I love but is kind of expensive, is Laughing Cow Light wedges on Wasa crackers. You can have a great snack for about 100-150 calories. Sometimes I have this for breakfast at school.

24. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Sep 5, 2009

love these ! I get the whole grain ones for my sandwich YUM!

I also have left overs
    sandwich, 100 pack of something

25. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Sep 5, 2009

Hilarious! Lol.

26. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Sep 5, 2009

I usually pack a hummus sandwich or lox on a bagel with a pepsi MAX.

27. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Sep 7, 2009

MY FAVORITE ITEM IS YOUR LAST ONE! :lol:

28. wb929

wb929 Rookie

Sep 7, 2009

In my drawer I always have:
    -protein bars (I like Pure Protein and Cliff bars), Fiber One bar, or granola bar
    -a small jar of peanut butter and an english muffin or mini bagel (whole wheat)
    -peanuts
    -oatmeal (just add water and heat)

29. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Sep 7, 2009

My coworker always keeps an apple slicer thing-a-majig in her room. Her apples seems so crispy and delicious. Something about sliced apples are much better than having to bite into an apple. And something about them being freshly sliced. Beats brown, soggy apples slices from home any day.