lunch when suddenly asked to sub

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by thesub, Sep 4, 2016.

1. thesub

thesub Comrade

Sep 4, 2016

Hi all: I am a p/t AM aide in an elem. school and last year I was asked to sub in the afternoons many times.
    By the time I got around to lunch, the cafeteria was often closed and a banana+granola bar was never enough for me. I'd get home exhausted and starving at 4 pm. So can you all give me some ideas for a portable dry lunch (besides sandwiches) which is filling too? I don't like taking Greek yogurt, having it sit in my bag for 4 hrs and then bring it back home if I don't sub. I feel the yogurt gets spoiled and I don't always park it in the staff refrigerator.

Thank you!!

3. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Sep 4, 2016

I keep pouches of flavored tuna or salmon in my bag. I also keep cups of Easy Mac in my desk for days I'm rushed out of the door and forget to grab lunch. I also keep Clif bars in my desk. Basically anything with protein.

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 4, 2016

I also like the tuna in the little pouches. I usually have it with crackers, which would be easy to keep in a tupperware container and wouldn't go bad if you didn't eat them one day.

I sometimes bring a whole avocado and eat it the same way, smushed on crackers.

Maybe you could keep some shelf-stable protein drinks on hand as well, as long as you don't mind drinking them at room temperature if you don't manage to get them into the fridge.

I agree that protein is key. I personally also try to go for some carbs, as well.

5. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Sep 4, 2016

Instead of a granola bar, you could try the protein/nutrition bars (i.e. like the Zone ones, or one of the many others...I forgot which kind I always get...ha). They'd have double (or more) the calories at about 200-250, and would contain a much better amount of protein that would help you get through the day instead of the simple granola bars which tend to be more sugary. Of course, you might already be choosing a granola bar similar to that, so my apologies if so!

6. teacherpippi

teacherpippi Habitué

Sep 5, 2016

Can you just add an ice pack to your bag? Amazon has thin ones that fit well in insulated lunch bags.

I'd also have a few meals in the freezer that can be grabbed when needed.

7. thesub

thesub Comrade

Sep 8, 2016

Thank you, thank you!! I like the idea of the freezer meals. Btw, I'm vegetarian.
    Thanks again.

8. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Sep 8, 2016

Hummus and veggies would be good. I think I've seen small portioned hummus cups that you could throw in an insulated bag with a baggie of veggies or whatever you like to use for dipping. I find hummus keeps me full for a while.

9. teacherpippi

teacherpippi Habitué

Sep 8, 2016

Hummus freezes really well. I will buy a big tub and portion it out. You could freeze pitas too and grab whatever fresh vegetables you have.