Lunch Time

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ms.SLS, Jul 24, 2013.

1. Ms.SLS

Ms.SLS Cohort

Jul 24, 2013

What do you do for lunch at work? Cafeteria? Personal microwave? Sandwiches? :)

I've always lunch boxed it, but I'm considering getting a mini-fridge/microwave deal set up.

3. platypusok

platypusok Companion

Jul 24, 2013

I have a mini fridge in my room. I need to get a microwave because the one in the teacher's lounge is always gross.

Usually I bring sandwiches or leftovers. I eat in my room. I either grade or surf the internet. Or I talk to the kids who come to my room to eat.

I have lunch duty once a week, so I have to schlep my lunch to the cafeteria and watch the kids eat their lunches.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 24, 2013

I have an hour duty free lunch. Our faculty room has two fridges, microwaves, a coffee maker and soda machine. Most days I bring lunch but go out with colleagues for lunch about once a week. On the Amy's I stay in, I eat in the lounge and then usually do some email, copying or other prep work.

5. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jul 24, 2013

I didn't have a fridge in my classroom because I'd put one of those blue reusable ice packs in my lunch bag.

I did, however, always have a microwave in my room. Super convenient for heating up leftovers for lunch, making oatmeal in the morning (if I was running late), or popping popcorn for the kiddos.

6. Shanoo

Shanoo Habitué

Jul 24, 2013

I typically eat in the staff room. We have two microwaves and a fridge. Some days I offer extra help and on those days, I'll eat in my room. One day a cycle I have lunch duty and on those days, I'll bring my lunch to the cafeteria.

I will occasionally buy my lunch in the cafeteria, but that is not often.

7. Sm2teach

Sm2teach Companion

Jul 24, 2013

We are spoiled at my school. We have 3 full sized refrigerators, 3 microwaves, a toaster, and a panini maker for about 33 teachers and staff members in the teacher's lounge. We are encouraged to eat in the lounge with our team members and most all teachers do. I most often bring a lunch to heat in the microwave. Some teachers will occasionally eat in the cafeteria. Sometimes we will order from one of the few restaurants in town and one of us will go pick it up. Some teachers will store frozen dinners in the freezer and some bring enough stuff to build their lunch for the entire week. Our principal keeps bread, peanut butter, poptarts, popcorn, canned soup, or canned chicken for anyone who forgot a lunch. We also always have sweet and unsweet tea made. We have a coffee maker with sweetner and flavored creamers available. We have a hot chocolate and cappuccino machine as well. Our principal is very proud of our setup and will always invite guests back to get a cup of coffee. During awards day he invites the parents back.

8. Sm2teach

Sm2teach Companion

Jul 24, 2013

We never have lunch duty and we get 30 minutes for lunch. We do have lounge duty throughout the year. We are divided into three groups. Each group gets about 8 weeks of lounge duty. It ends up being about 1 week per person. That person is responsible for washing any dishes, wiping tables, cleaning out microwaves and wiping down counters. It takes about 10 minutes a day. Our lounge stays pretty clean as most people wash their own dishes throughout the day.

9. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jul 24, 2013

Last year I always ate in the lounge or in one of my team member's rooms. The year before I had an odd schedule and there often wasn't anyone else eating at the same time as me. That year I used to come on here at lunch, haha. I need that little "break" in the middle of the day and I didn't want to do schoolwork unless I was way behind or something, even if I didn't have anyone else to eat with.

I always swear I'm going to quit buying lean cuisines and then I fall back into doing it anyway. It's just so easy to grab them out of the freezer in the morning! For about six weeks during the year I was bringing in a big salad every day with fruit, nuts, and spinach. The problem was it was so voluminous that it took me SO long to eat it. By the time I dropped the kids off and went to the bathroom I had about 20 minutes and I felt like I was shoving it in and almost never finished it. It stressed me out so much that I went back to my lean cuisines, haha.

I hope there are people to eat in the lounge with this year. I'm also hoping for a late lunch! The afternoon is so long when it's early! Two years ago I had lunch from 11:00-11:30 and school didn't get out until 4:15.

10. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Jul 24, 2013

The teacher who had my class before me left a microwave. I typically bring a meal of some type and heat it up. Our cafeteria is way too expensive for teachers, and the food is nasty.

11. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jul 24, 2013

Some of you sound so lucky compared to us! Our district has banned mini fridges and microwaves except for the main teachers' workroom.

12. Zelda~*

Zelda~* Devotee

Jul 24, 2013

Our cooks make something special for staff every day. It's often fantastic. :)

13. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Jul 24, 2013

We don't have a lounge, but they've shoved a mini fridge and microwave in the corner of the counseling office. I usually eat a Lean Cuisine meal there.

Or I go to the taqueria across the street. Far too often, actually. :whistle:

14. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 24, 2013

We aren't allowed to leave for lunch, which is good, because we have a 20 minute (duty free) lunch. That 20 minutes included transporting our kids to and from the cafeteria, as well as being the first "potty break." I tend to eat in my room, during my planning period, but with changing grades, I don't know when my planning period will be yet. I do have a fridge and microwave in my room. Often, I'll bring a (gross looking, but delicious) mixture of Greek yogurt, peanut butter, cinnamon and honey/stevia. It's a perfectly balanced meal (when considering protein, fat, & carbs), and I keep it in my fridge. Sometimes I'll bring a lean cuisine or some leftovers or a "mason jar" salad.

15. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Jul 24, 2013

I bring my lunch most days. I usually eat in my classroom and do work.

16. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 24, 2013

No personal fridges or microwaves. No workroom. Our 20 minutes for lunch includes getting to & from the cafeteria.

I typically eat a peanut butter sandwich of drink an Ensure. I would rather relax eating that than rush for something else. I wouldn't eat frozen dinners anyway. They're not something I like.

17. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Jul 24, 2013

This is absolutely amazing.

I would love to see this at our school for either lunch or breakfast. I think this is a nice "benefit" that has positive impact on the teaching climate.

18. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jul 24, 2013

Last year, I brought a lunch box with an ice pack to store my lunch in every day. The contents ranged from salad to leftovers to frozen lean cuisine. I had an odd lunch time, but one other sped teacher and myself were able to schedule our lunches together. I always used the microwave in her room. This year, we won't have the same lunch time. The only person who will have the same lunch time as me is my para, so I guess the two of us will eat together, unless she chooses to leave for lunch. Teachers get 25 minutes. Paras get 30 minutes. All duty-free. We're allowed to leave, but I don't think 25 minutes is long enough to get anywhere and back in time and still be able to eat the food. I'm planning to bring a min-fridge and microwave. I'm crossing my fingers we never have a ban on those! We did at my last school, but I'm so looking forward to the convenience of having them this year!

I'm contemplating bringing a blender this year for smoothies, but I'm worried it would be too much mess and noise.....

19. queenie

queenie Groupie

Jul 24, 2013

Is your school hiring?? :lol:

20. Ms.SLS

Ms.SLS Cohort

Jul 25, 2013

So, do you think it's important to eat in the staff lounge? Especially as a new faculty member? My last school was really small and so I knew everyone anyway. My first school, I worked at for three years and still only knew maybe half the people. I'm moving to another large school - I hate eating in the staff lounge, but I don't want to be "that new girl" for another 3-4 years sooo....

21. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jul 25, 2013

One of my very first education professors offered my class his three best pieces of advice:

1) Be kind to the custodians and secretaries.
    2) Keep your mouth shut until you're tenured.
    3) Stay out of the teachers' lounge (at least until you're tenured).

His reason for number three was that the lounge is often full of gossip and complaining. He said that, as new teachers, we didn't need to be exposed to that early on. We were safer from being drawn into all that and getting on anyone's bad side by staying out of the lounge. That doesn't mean you shouldn't be friendly with colleagues, just to choose wisely when conversing.

Personally, I hate eating in the teachers' lounge anyway. I much prefer to eat in my classroom or a colleague's classroom, and I have done so at both schools where I've worked. It does prevent me from getting to know others in certain departments with whom I never work, but I'm friendly and polite when I pass them in the hall. It also gives me more time to truly take that short break I need in the middle of the day and to get to know the colleagues that I choose to get to know. :2cents:

22. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jul 25, 2013

I have an hour of duty free lunch. In our staff room we have 2 microwaves, a fridge and an oven. I usually re-heat leftovers for lunch and then head back to my room once the kids are out for recess to do some prep work. We don't really have anywhere to go for lunch because I teach in a small town. Sometimes I go for a walk, though, to get some fresh air and exercise in.

23. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jul 25, 2013

I have a mini fridge in my room, but I eat in the lounge. I think the lounge gets a bad rap sometimes. I've worked in four schools, always eaten in the lounge, and never experienced other teachers gossiping about students or school politics. That is always done in classrooms with closed doors! :).

24. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 25, 2013

I have gotten into the habit of not going to the staff lounge; I always ate at my desk, catching up on work. One of the things I want to change for this coming year is to make it a point of going for at least 15 minutes--while I eat. I'll be at a new school, with lots of new staff members, and that's the only way I'll get to know everyone.

We can't have fridges or microwaves (or any other appliances) in our classrooms. At my previous school, we had 2 fridges and microwaves--not sure what we'll have at my new one.

25. BumbleB

BumbleB Habitué

Jul 25, 2013

We aren't allowed to have mini fridges/microwaves in our room. But we do have them in our staff lounge. I usually eat in my room and grade/plan, but sometimes when it's too hot I would eat in the lounge (building doesn't have air conditioning but lounge does).

I would usually bring a hodgepodge of items, I don't like to eat the same thing multiple weeks in a row. Lean Cuisines, salads, sandwiches, leftovers, etc.

26. platypusok

platypusok Companion

Jul 25, 2013

I'm jealous.

There is a group of elem teachers who eat in the lounge. And some of the elem teachers eat in the cafeteria at the teachers' table. But none of the middle school/high school teachers do.