Lunch restrictions???

Discussion in 'General Education' started by HWilson, Aug 24, 2011.

1. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Aug 27, 2011

But if they're not on free lunch, then they DO have money- parents just won't bring it in. I also think you're really overanalyzing what a 5 year old would think about someone having a sandwhich. They're not sitting around analyzing everyone's lunch and then making inferences about their financial situation.

For those of you that think this is an awful policy, what do you propose they do instead to get the money? What do you think would work better and actually get the parents to bring it in?

2. daisy11

daisy11 Rookie

Aug 27, 2011

In my school we give them a penutbutter sandwich with milk.

3. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Aug 27, 2011

I don't know what the answer is, but I also know that the cafeteria cannot provide free lunches (for those kids who don't qualify for free lunches) and also continue to be able to afford quality food. If parents don't pay, and the kids eat, they operate at a loss....so what money do they use to buy food for the next week? Our meals program, county wide, serves over 100 schools of varying sizes, but is completely self-supporting. The only money it takes in are the subsidies for the kids who qualify for federal free lunch.

In our school, teachers have been known to "pad" lunch accounts of struggling students who don't qualify for FARMS.

4. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Habitué

Aug 27, 2011

we have a limit of $10. They have a choice of ppj or grilled cheese. I guess i never thought of how embarrassing it is. I've given kids a couple of bucks - usually a kid I know really well. Some kids decide not to eat.

5. soleil00

soleil00 Comrade

Aug 27, 2011

I do think it is an awful policy, but I honestly don't know any other way. Notes home do not work as my school used to do that. Now they use the "lunch of shame" as the teachers call it and the neon stickers that tell the parents the kid needs money.

I know with my school, they implemented an online payment system. It has helped a little bit. Younger parents are more willing to pay online with a credit/debit card instead of having to send cash or a check with a 6 yr old...

6. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 27, 2011

But this is simply not true. One, parents have to apply for free lunch and some parents are not responsible enough to do this. Two, some parents have too much pride to go through the application process and accept free or reduced lunch. Three, stuff happens...a family can go from good to bad in the time it takes to read a pink slip. So it doesn't mean parents can afford lunch just because children are paying (well, at least should be paying). But even if parents could afford to pay but just haven't because they forgot, because they don't care, or for whatever reason...does that mean the child is due less compassion? Because, again, sure they are getting a good meal...but that meal was designed to be "less than".

The solution? I don't know. But that doesn't mean I can't recognize how embarrassing the current policies are.