lunch duty woes

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Linzi, May 20, 2014.

1. Linzi

Linzi Rookie

May 20, 2014

I just got my schedule for next year. I am glad to be teaching one prep, but I found out that I have the worst prep period both semesters (the one with the dreaded lunch duty). I'm not very happy because it essentially means I lose 30 minutes of my planning EVERY DAY the entire school year. It's such a pain since we aren't allowed to do anything except patrol the cafeteria (no grading at a table, etc). I don't want to be a whiner at work, so I'm getting it out here.

Best of luck to all of you as you get your schedules!

3. a2z

a2z Maven

May 20, 2014

What? They assign duty during prep. That isn't prep if you can't prep. Doesn't work that way here. Sorry! :(

4. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

May 20, 2014

That seems like something that should rotate so that no one person gets stuck with that all year. Blech! I would find whoever is in charge of scheduling and ask if there was a way to rotate. At my old school, the high school teachers were each assigned one week on a rotating basis. You did duty in exchange for 25 free lunches.

Side note-Does teaching one prep mean you teach the same class over and over all day? Is that good? I mean, I'm thinking for me that would make for such long days.

5. Linzi

Linzi Rookie

May 20, 2014

That is kind of cool that they give you free lunches, but we don't get that (or get any pay for it, like I've heard from other states before). I have been considering trying to find out if there is someone else who would like to set up a situation and maybe do 2 duties one week and none the next.

The reason I like one prep is because it drastically cuts down on the time I spend at night on planning and gives me a chance to be a bit invested and more creative in my lessons.

6. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 20, 2014

Our coaches have lunch duty, but that is separate from your prep time. I can't imagine a school asking that of one person.

7. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

May 20, 2014

I have never heard of teachers having lunch duty. Here in my neck of the woods, teachers have a duty-free lunch and we hire breakfast/lunch supervisors to cover the cafeteria and playground.

8. teacherguy111

teacherguy111 Cohort

May 20, 2014

I have no prep period at all and all the teachers have to eat in the same area (and supervise) the middle school students at the same time. At least you don't have to do that lol.

9. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

May 20, 2014

We have lunch duty, on a rotating schedule. No added perks, just mandated duty. During our lunches so unless you pack something portable, you don't get to eat those days.

10. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

May 20, 2014

That's incredibly disrespectful to me. Teachers need teacher time. I'm glad our union protects that.

11. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

May 20, 2014

What?:lol::eek: They paid teachers for doing a duty by giving them a free cafeteria lunch? What?:eek: I don't care if they were serving gourmet food; a free cafeteria lunch is no payment.

I prefer teaching one prep 6 times a day than multiple preps because it means less planning.

12. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

May 20, 2014

That's crazy.

I guess, teachers can eat during their plan (which I do because lunch is at 10:25 at my school).

13. jteachette

jteachette Comrade

May 20, 2014

Well, you can eat during your planning time, if your special isn't cancelled that day, or if you have lunch duty on a day where you have a planning period. (There are some days where my only planning period is before or after school.)
    Luckily, my assigned day is on a day when my students have 2 specials right after lunch.

14. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 20, 2014

It sounds like the OP teaches high school, which doesn't usually have specials, and will have lunch duty every day. Lunch duty cuts into her planning time, so she'll lose that every day.

OP, does your contract allow for this sort of use of your planning time? In my district that wouldn't fly.

15. kab164

kab164 Companion

May 20, 2014

That is a bummer. Our school pays teachers for lunch or recess. I have earned four comp. days doing part time recess this year. It's been a great way to earn some much needed days to recharge

16. Linzi

Linzi Rookie

May 21, 2014

@teacherguy111 sorry to hear that you have it that bad, do you have to do all your plans/copies/prep on your own time? that would be awful. I'm a first year so I still do a TON of outside hours, although it's been better this semester because I'm down to one prep. I expect next year to be even better because i'm teaching the same thing i am now for the entire year.

@caesar I haven't looked back at it, but the contract I got was a one-pager, basically an agreement that I'd be hired for the year and do acceptable work, blah blah blah. We don't have a union or union contract here, so I'm not sure if that would have more explicitly outlined what was in or out of the job description. I've heard some teachers in the school make comments about whether certain things they have us pitch in on are "legal" but everyone there seems to go along with things as they are without too much (if any) pushback or complaining. I love the cooperative and community feel of the school, so I don't want to make a big thing about it, but sometimes it does get annoying to be required to do even more stuff, especially because I put in so much time doing extra things for the students already.

17. greendream

greendream Cohort

May 22, 2014

See, this is why it sucks not to have a union. Your contract sounds exactly like mine: a page that says that they agree to hire you, but you are assigned whatever duties the principal wants. Some schools take full advantage of this vague language. My previous school required teachers to stay for student tutoring until 5:30 PM one day a week. We were all told it falls under the "duties assigned by the principal."