Lunch Count

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Teachling, Aug 31, 2008.

1. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Aug 31, 2008

Would love to hear some creative ideas for doing lunch count. Currently, I use three plastic tumblers that were left by the previous teacher for indicating the types of food menu. The students place their popsicle stick on the tumbler that indicates their chose. I'm just curious as to what other techniques are used. Thanks!

3. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Aug 31, 2008

I have a cookie sheet divided into sections labeled with the lunch options and a side section for who isn't here. The whole thing is covered with clear contact paper. The students each have a small magnet with their name on it that they move to the section of their lunch choice. This doubles for attendance as well.

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 31, 2008

A teacher I subbed for last year had a poster board divided into 3 sections (hot lunch, cold lunch, brought lunch), each student had an apple with their name on it. When they came in in the morning they moved their apple to whatever lunch they were eating for that day. The teacher had a job where the student took the lunch count and then took it down to the cafeteria.

5. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 31, 2008

I just do the boring thing where the cold lunch kids raise their hand, then just subtract for the hot lunch count.

What's funny is at my last school, we didn't do lunch counts. And so, by the time my kids got to the cafeteria (fifth grade) they would be out of a lot of food. Sometimes, the cafeteria had to scramble to make my kids sandwiches (but the parts like lettuce would be frozen!). It was pretty sad. I told my kids that they needed to tell their parents this and have them call the district office. Nothing was done though.

6. lcluigs03

lcluigs03 Cohort

Aug 31, 2008

i do something similar. only it's on my whiteboard on the side wall...which i never use. the kids come in, move their magnet and go straight to the lockers. it's been wonderful! i also write my assignments on this board. you can see the pictures of how it's laid out on my website. www.freewebs.com/lcluigs

LC

7. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Aug 31, 2008

My first year in third grade I had a plastic paper tray thingy (what are they actually called? ;) ) separated into the three choices: hot lunch, cold lunch, lunch from home. Each student had a clothes pin with his/her name on it and would put the clothes pin on the lunch choice. It also doubled as my attendance.

For the last two years in fifth grade, though, I've used baskets labeled with the lunch choices and envelopes with the students' names on them. They put the envelopes in the baskets of their lunch choices and if they pay for lunch, they put the money in the envelope. This way, I can easily take attendance, see how many of each lunch choice, AND I don't have to call them up to give me their money.

8. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Aug 31, 2008

I am so glad we don't have to do lunch counts. I guess the cafe people just know. We are a big school though. We have over 800 kids and are just elementary.

9. Annie227

Annie227 Companion

Aug 31, 2008

We have 6 different choices for lunch (2 different hot lunches, a cold lunch, a salad, pb&j, or lunch from home). I cut a manila folder into a circle and divided it into the 6 different headings. I set the menu on the same bulletin board so they can see the actual options for each choice that day. Then they have a clothespin with their name that they move to the choice the want that day.
    It also helps me with attendance since I can just glance at that board and see which clothespins haven't been moved to the lunch wheel. After I tally them up, my messenger delivers the choices to the cafeteria.

10. teach_each1

teach_each1 Comrade

Aug 31, 2008

I use the side of my large filing cabinet. Each student has a popsicle stick with their name on it. When they come in the move thier stick to their lunch choice.

I purchased a large (about 4" across x 2" deep) magnetic locker pocket from the dollar tree that holds a large manilla envelope for lunch money, lunch count slips and a pen. It is a student job to fill out the form and take lunch money to the office.

11. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Aug 31, 2008

Now this is just sad. For a lot of kids the lunch and/or breakfast they get at school may be the only meal they get all day. If I were you I would report that district/school. That makes me mad!:mad:

12. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 31, 2008

Oh believe me, I brought it up at some of our staff meetings and it has been made known to the food services. I'm not at that school anymore, so I don't know what changes has been made this year, if any.

13. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Aug 31, 2008

Daily math problem.

"Let's see. We have 20 kids in the class. Two are absent. Seven brought their lunches from home. How many lunches does the cafeteria have to make for the class if the teacher buys a lunch too instead of going to Starbucks?"

I don't like the term "hot lunch" and "cold lunch" since the cafeteria often serves cold lunches.

14. phillygirl

phillygirl Rookie

Aug 31, 2008

I do the same thing. I printed food choices from http://www.abcteach.com.
    I use them to head my choices. The students each have a popsicle stick with a magnet on the back. The pictures help my first graders make the choices easier.:2cents:

15. Goldie

Goldie Companion

Aug 31, 2008

Last year, the kids had 4 choices at lunch. So we had to take a count of each choice. I did hand in the air counting. This year they have 3 choices. I use the whiteboard. Put menu on the board and as they arrive they move their "bear" magnet to the choice. This doubles for attendance.

16. phillygirl

phillygirl Rookie

Aug 31, 2008

17. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Aug 31, 2008

I tried the raised hands counting thing, but we have to take attendence so early some of the kids are still moving around getting ready for the day.

18. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Aug 31, 2008

Way to go!! Hopefully something you said helped change that school for the better for the kids!! :thanks: for what you do for the kids!

19. anewstart101

anewstart101 Cohort

Aug 31, 2008

I was at a school where we asked who brought their lunch because only a couple of kids did bring their lunch. It was easy to take count.

20. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Sep 1, 2008

Thanks for the ideas. I may do something like the cookie sheet technique to change it up but has to figure out how to use it on a desk rather than the wall. I placed my desk on the opposite side of the room and I am using it as my student center for turning in homework & lunch count.

21. LiveNLearn

LiveNLearn Comrade

Sep 1, 2008

I inherited a metal cabinet that has two doors. One door was painted cold lunch and the other hot lunch. I put each student's name on a popsicle stick and use a magnet on the back (they sell sticky magnets at walmart). It serves as attendance and lunch count. You can also use a magnetic white board or door.

22. frogger

frogger Devotee

Sep 1, 2008

Mine is similar - I took their picture the first day and cut it out (used a scrapbook puncher that was a circle) and put their pic on the magnet. When they walk in they walk up to it and move their magnet to their food choice which is also attendance as well. They seem to love it!

23. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Sep 1, 2008

I prop mine on the chalk ledge. If it is in the way later, I set it aside.

24. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Sep 1, 2008

I love this! I'll have to remember it in the future.

25. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Sep 1, 2008

I use my smartboard. I have the kids names at the bottom of the slide, and then they drag their name to their choice (packer, lunch of the day, pizza, or salad). I have a typed copy of the weekly lunches of the day, so they can quickly check and see what that is. I have a student figure it all up for me, and I send the totals to the office online.

26. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Sep 2, 2008

Love love this idea! I have these clear glass stone that I can use to place the pictures & stick a magnet in the back. Ah, when to find the time to do it--- it's another story. ;)

27. tgim

tgim Habitué

Sep 2, 2008

We do it as a math problem...25 students, 7 brought lunch, 1 absent... = ??lunches the cafeteria needs to make.

I have them sign in on a white board as they come in (where I post the menu, too) if they brought their own lunch...but we only have 1 lunch option from the cafeteria, which makes it easier.

28. yearroundteach

yearroundteach Companion

Sep 2, 2008

I haven't read all the replies, but none-the-less here is my :2cents: of how I do it. I have a medium magnetic white board that I have divided into three sections: Not at school, school lunch, home lunch. Students each have a magnetic fish (my theme is oceans) with their number on it (I use names for almost nothing...numbers rock!) that they move as soon as they come in the room in the morning. This helps with not only lunch count but also with our morning meeting of figuring out how many people are present/absent.

Then the student of the day fills out the school-made lunch count form. (We only have 1 school lunch choice which makes it easier) I also made my own form in Word for the students to turn in their lunch money. There are some students that, no matter how much I encourage their parents to send in a large sum early in the week, will come with exact change for lunch everyday. It drives me crazy when these kids have the money all day and are jingling it in their pocket, taking it out to show others, or tell me it's lost by the time lunch rolls around. So instead, the student of the day also calls for anyone who has money, takes that student's money, and records how much money the student had next to that student's name on the form. Then the SOD takes all the money in a ziploc bag down to the lunchroom stapled to the 2 forms. That way there is no money in hands all day to drive me bananas and the SOD each day gets practice counting and writing money.

:wow:, that ended up pretty long for something that is so simple. Hope it made sense and that it helps a little!

Last edited: Sep 2, 2008