Lunch Count

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by ally101479, Aug 19, 2005.

1. ally101479

ally101479 Rookie

Aug 19, 2005

Does anyone have ideas/suggestions for doing the lunch count? I am not having any luck with finding graphics for all of the food items my school offers. I thought about typing out all the kids names and just having them move the card over to Buying, Packing, or PB&J when they walk into the room. Is this a good idea or not?

Allison

3. BethMI

BethMI Cohort

Aug 19, 2005

My kids can read the menu in 2nd grade, so I don't need pix. Our first grade teachers do use pix-I think they may have cut some from grocery ads, if you go to google and then images (I believe it is), they have TONS of pix. THat may be helpful. My kids each have a magnet with their name on it, they move it from a spot on the wall to "Main, Choice, Bag or Milk" those that aren't here get moved to "Absent." Main and Choice are our two hot lunches for the day. This is how I do attendance too, kills two birds with one stone!

4. WITeach

WITeach Cohort

Aug 19, 2005

I'm doing something similiar to BethMI's method, but I use clothespins with their names on them instead of magnets. They clip their name to a laminated piece of paper that says either hot or cold lunch and white or chocolate milk. I found it's realy easy to take the count this way.

5. TeachGrd1

TeachGrd1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2005

I use giant popsicle sticks. Each one has a magnet and the chils name. i hang tem where the child can easily reach them. I have four categories (1st choice, 2nd choice, sack, brought) and I just read the choices to the students first thing in the morning. They were able to do the procedure on their own by day 2. I just make sure to remind them of what choices they have.

6. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Aug 20, 2005

I have a two-column pocket chart by the door. On one side is the students names. On the other side I put 1 green slip (salad bar), 1 blue slip (brought lunch), and 1 red slip (regular tray). The students lunch card (it's kind-of like a credit card) goes in front of the colord slips. When the students arrive they read the menu and put the color slip of what their choosing for the day. This is how I get my attendance as well. If the white lunch card is still in front, I know that the particular student is not here. I never have to call role. I might give them a five minute warning. When I'm first teaching the proceedure, I call the students who have not shown me what they're doing for lunch. After a month, I don't call anymore (I still look around the room to make sure).

7. ThirdGrade123

ThirdGrade123 Companion

Aug 20, 2005

I have something similar to Miss W. I also use a two pocket chart but w/o student names. I wrote each lunch item and 'brought lunch' on a different sentence strip. I put all of these on one side of the chart. On the other side of the chart (or in a seperate container if space allows) I stored clothespins with all the students' names.
    I assign one person to look over the menu and the meal of the day in addition to the regulars (PB& J, etc). Then the students move their clothespins to the food they are ordering. My helper then records the lunch count for me and I use that to help me with attendance.
    I usually use the lunch cards to call students to line up..but I do like the idea of using them in place of clothespins.

8. FallCreekGal82

FallCreekGal82 Companion

Aug 20, 2005

I didn't have to deal with this in my Title I room, but most people I knew had some system such as moving the clothespins or craft sticks to the specific line choice. Students were to do this as part of their morning routine just like turning in homework. That way you can also take attendance. Wastes less time getting an individual response from each student.

9. mtwist

mtwist New Member

Aug 21, 2005

I am a fifth grade teacher, and I have divided a small bulletin board into different sections using border. The largest section across the bottom says "Absent". The rest of the board is divided into these sections - Salad Bar, Hot Lunch, and Sack. In the absent section, all of the students' names are written on an "apple" which are tacked to the board. They move it to the proper section. It is so easy to count. Too, a student has the job of moving all of the apples back to the absent section at the end of the day.

10. ctopher

ctopher Comrade

Aug 21, 2005

The teacher across the hall from me has 3 mugs on a small table inside the door. 1 mug is for hot lunch, 1 for PB&J and the other for Pack. The kids take a stick with their name on it and put it in the correct cup.

I've found that it's just as fast to call out the meal and have the kids raise their hands as it is to do a method like above.

We're supposedly doing away with lunch count though this year! YAHOO