Lunch conversations?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by positiveautism, Oct 24, 2008.

1. positiveautism

positiveautism Comrade

Oct 24, 2008

I'm an autism support teacher, and I am going to make some conversation starter cards for my students to use at lunch. However, I realized that I really have no idea what kids talk about at lunch! :lol:

Could you all give me examples of what your students talk about during lunch? Also, could you post what grade you teach if it's not displayed by your name?

Thank you so much!

Nicole

3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Oct 24, 2008

Could you let us know what grade level you are working with?

4. positiveautism

positiveautism Comrade

Oct 24, 2008

I work with all grade levels at our school, but I'm primarily thinking of making these for kids 3rd - 6th grade.

Thanks!

Nicole

5. Engteach13

Engteach13 Rookie

Oct 24, 2008

I think that is such a nice idea. Sorry I can't be of help to you though. I have cafe duty for about 150 freshman...you don't want to know what they talk about at lunch. :blush:

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 24, 2008

TV shows
    Movies
    Video games
    Homework
    Upcoming trips/events
    Friends
    Pets
    Weather (at least they did when it snowed all day on Tuesday!)

7. Yank7

Yank7 Habitué

Oct 24, 2008

Last year I was given a note by the school lunch supervisor being passed around by the girls in my fifth grade gifted class.It was a list of the girl's name and the name of the boy they would like to sleep with.Maybe it is not a good idea to use what they talk about at lunch for your ideas.
    I think I might keep it general such as Their favorite school subject and why. What they like to do when they are not in school.What they would do if they won a million dollars.(I hope they don't decide to invest it in the stock market) Their favorite meal in the cafeteria and why they like it. TV shows and movies and so on.It sounds like a good idea,let us know how it goes.

8. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Oct 24, 2008

My kids talk a lot about their food. I have to eat lunch with them each day, and sometimes it makes me loose my appetite....

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 24, 2008

Like Engteacher13, I teach high school. We have 750 kids eating at a time in our cafeteria-- I have no idea what they're talking about!!

But, in addition to Mrs. C's list, maybe:

- the upcoming holidays. What are they doing for Thanksgiving? What traditions are observed in their families? What's their favorite part about Thanksgiving?

-Christmas/Chanuak/Kwanza... Which (if any) does their family observe? Are there any special traditions that mean a lot?

- sports. Are they football/basketball/hockey fans? Which team do they root for? Do they have favorite players?

-TV. Favorite shows, favorite actors, plotlines..

Oh, yeah. To take a page from Mrs. C and her snow: the weather!!

10. positiveautism

positiveautism Comrade

Oct 24, 2008

Thanks...these are great ideas! LOL...I know I wouldn't want the job of making them for high-school students. :)

I'm now trying to think of a name to call them. It's an inclusion school, so I want it to be cool for all of the kids. "Lunch Chats?" "Chat Cards?" I'm not sure.

Thanks again!

Nicole

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 25, 2008

I don't think I would specify that they're for lunch. Your kids might take that a bit too literally and think the topics were off limits, say, for Thanksgiving DINNER.

12. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Oct 25, 2008

I use the responsive classroom's First Six Weeks of School and one of the things they suggest is a lunch task.

I will ask the kids to tell me how many pets do they have and add them all up at the table, or how many sisters and brothers, etc. It's supposed to help start building conversations. I have only ever done it the first week of school because then I forget!

My kids talk about food mostly too. Sometimes they want to tell jokes or stories. They are really young though. I have a number of them who just eat- no talking! They do things like someone says something they think is funny, and then someone else says it. Then someone will change it a a little, and then they will all start saying it. It's really weird. Or they just say words they think are funny, or they sing funny songs. They aren't great conversationalists yet.

I don't think those are the conversations you want to model!

13. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Oct 25, 2008

I have my kids do mix-it-up lunches a few times a week where I put them in small groups and give everyone a topic to discuss. Most of these I pull out of journal prompt books. Some journal prompts are just too long or complex to write about, but they make great conversation starters.

14. positiveautism

positiveautism Comrade

Oct 27, 2008

Thanks so much for all of your ideas! Here's what I have so far: http://www.positivelyautism.com/downloads/lunchconversations.doc . I will probably add more based on your message in this post. I tried to make some of them goofy/funny, so that the younger grades would probably be entertained. Even if the upper elementary grades joke around about the dorky topics, I'm hoping the'll still talk about them.

Feel free to give me any feedback to make them better. Thanks!

Nicole

15. Giggles1100

Giggles1100 Comrade

Oct 29, 2008

I made conversation starter cards for my Autistic HS kids but I think they would work for you and I included a pic of the question so later he could just glance at card se the pic and ask question.

WHat did you do last night?

Did you watch TV? What did you watch?

DO you like video games, which is your favorite.

What is your favorite class or thing to do in PE?

What did you have for dinner, lunch Etc. What is your favorite thing to eat?

When is your birthday? What do you want for your birthday?

Do you like SPonge Bob? My kids favorite show is Sponge Bob? I really like XXXXX XXXX Who do you like?

I have a few more I am just trying to pull them off of the top of my head since I am not at school.

My student has gotten good at tailoring his questions to fit, so that if a kid likes Ben 10 he can talk about that, or if they are eating lunch he can say I love Mashed potatoes, but be patient it took my guy 1.5 years of using the cards to starting his SR year this year and can start a conversation on his own! Now if I could just get him to greet people when they say HI to him!

16. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Oct 29, 2008

This is a great time to invest in the stock market.