Lunch and Bathroom Breaks

Discussion in 'General Education' started by IClilpeopleu2*, Jul 12, 2020.

1. IClilpeopleu2*

IClilpeopleu2* Rookie

Jul 12, 2020

How do you guys handle Bathroom breaks for teachers?
    I have to hold it for hours before I can get anyone to come give me a potty break or wait until my lunch break. This week employees didn't even get lunch breaks ( understaffed and nobody to break anyone)

How do you do it at your work??

3. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jul 12, 2020

If I need to go badly enough, first, I get the kids started on independent work. Then, I pop my head out in the hallway and try to grab the first person who walks by. If there is no one out there, then I call the office and ask them to send someone to my room. This was for the primary grades, when I didn’t have a teacher next door to me. With the intermediate grades, when I had a teacher next door, I’d first pop my head in to ask her. If she was busy, I’d either call the office or, sometimes, just make a run for it and hurry back.

4. IClilpeopleu2*

IClilpeopleu2* Rookie

Jul 12, 2020

I have one year olds I cant just leave the room. I'm back in a corner room and nobody checks on me. I have even been forgotten about a couple times and had to get someone to give me lunch break

5. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jul 12, 2020

How many kids do you have at one time?

6. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jul 12, 2020

The other thing I’ve done, when I only had a small group of kids (as opposed to a whole class), was drop them off in another teacher’s classroom with a book or something to do. Then I ran in the bathroom, and I picked them up on my way back.

Using the bathroom is a basic necessity. There has to be some sort of plan for teachers to use the bathroom as needed. I’d ask your supervisor about how it should be handled going forward.

7. IClilpeopleu2*

IClilpeopleu2* Rookie

Jul 12, 2020

4 right now but I'm getting two more soon.
    My owner wants to move a couple of mine early so I can get more in my room and she can get more babies...all about:dollarsign::2cents:

8. IClilpeopleu2*

IClilpeopleu2* Rookie

Jul 12, 2020

Oh I cant take them to another room that would be frowned on :worried:

9. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jul 12, 2020

It sounds like your need to have a serious conversation with your director. It’s against OSHA standards to not allow employees to use a restroom when needed.

Dropping students off in another class isn’t ideal, and it shouldn’t be the first choice option, but there has to be some way to make sure that employees can take care of their biological needs.

10. IClilpeopleu2*

IClilpeopleu2* Rookie

Jul 12, 2020

To be honest this place has a TON of issues, but it would take too long to write
    It all

11. shrikant275

shrikant275 New Member

Jul 13, 2020

Oh, I can not take them in another room that would be frowned: worried:

12. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jul 13, 2020

That's not that worrisome. Early Childhood has strict ratios that have to be met. Also, certain room and certain staff are only licensed for certain ages. I'm most familiar with laws in Florida and Louisiana, and some of what i'm saying may be outdated cause it's been 20 years. But, ratio is based on the youngest member of the group. So if there is an infant present, ratio drops to 3:1. For kids up to 2, the ratio goes to 6:1. For two-three years old, it's 11:1. I think threes are 15:1 and fours are 20:1. (Again, this is what I remember from 20 years ago.) Also, only some sooms meet requirements for diapering. So, it's pretty much policy at every child care center ever that you can't just drop off kids at another teacher's room while you go potty.

I was super lucky to work at an awesome center where we had aides come in and give potty breaks once in the morning and once in the afternoon, as well as lunch breaks. When they weren't giving breaks, they helped with hectic times of day, like snack, waking up from nap, etc. They weren't allowed to help with diapering, but they counted for ratio. I got my bathroom break while kids were on the playground in the morning.

13. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Jul 13, 2020

Sometimes I take my whole class to the restroom. While they are going the teacher bathroom is right across from the kids bathroom and I will go quickly while they are going. I teach first grade so it is pretty easy to take a whole class to the restroom.

bella84 likes this.
  14. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jul 13, 2020

Don't let them forget about you. Call someone to cover for you. How many hours are you working? You should have breaks during the day. If I can't take a break due to being short staffed I just keep calling the designated people until someone responds. If there's nobody else why doesn't the director cover for you? She can't be that busy that she can't come and let you go for a bathroom break. It's the boss's job to make sure everyone has a break.

bella84 likes this.
  15. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Jul 13, 2020

I worked at a center with similar issues. Definitely call the front office to tell them you need to use the restroom.

16. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jul 13, 2020

At my school I have learned the squeaky wheel gets the grease. If you're quiet and don't advocate for yourself they will walk all over you in more ways than one.

otterpop and bella84 like this.