Luggage

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by JustMe, May 26, 2008.

?

Simple Question - Has an airport ever lost YOUR luggage?

1. Yes

18 vote(s)
    54.5%
  2. No

15 vote(s)
    45.5%
  1. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 26, 2008

My husband and I will be flying this summer for the first time ever and another thread has me asking this question: has the airport ever lost your luggage? Do you ever get it back or does it just get swallowed up by a black hole? Is there no compensation? It just seems INSANE to not be able to keep up with the luggage - I'm not saying it is the easiest thing to do with all the transitions and such, but it's not rocket science either.

So, has it happened to YOU?

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 26, 2008

Yes, the airline lost my luggage once. They ended up finding it about two weeks later and delivered it to my house.

Usually when they lose your luggage permanently, they'll reimburse you something like $100-250.

If you can take your luggage with you on the plane, do that. The last several times I've traveled, they seem to have allowed people to bring on the small, rolly bags and a carry-on.

4. MrsMikesell

MrsMikesell Cohort

May 26, 2008

They lost my bag on the way to my Vegas wedding!

All I had was a dress and make-up. No shoes, undergarments, nothing.....

Luckily it was found about 2 hours before the wedding and brought to my hotel for me!

Kelly :)

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 26, 2008

When my son was about 8 months old, we took a short flight to visit my parents. My suitcase made it fine, my son's, with toys and all his clothes, did not. I needed to go out to replace quite a few things and was reimbursed for immediate, out-of-pocket expenses even though the luggage showed up 4 days later.

6. Superteacher81

Superteacher81 Comrade

May 26, 2008

I have had it happen. Luckily, I was back in my hometown and they delivered my bag the next day. From what I understand, if it isn't found, you fill out a form and write down what you had in the bag and they are supposed to compensate you up to a certain amount. I just try not to put anything super valuable in checked luggage just in case. But, as long as you get to the airport early, it should be fine.

7. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

May 26, 2008

No, I've flown over 25 times just about everywhere you can think of. I do take a carry-on w/extra undies, 1 day's clothes, and whatever RX meds.

8. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

May 26, 2008

I almost never check my luggage, so it isn't too much of a worry. The worst case of lost luggage I've heard was when one of my brother's groomsmen had his lost on his way to DC from Prague. He had no American money to pick up incidentals, so my dad had to take him shopping for underwear and socks right before the rehearsal dinner my parents were hosting.

9. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

May 26, 2008

I checked mine once...never again. They lost it for a few days, and I was without clothes in California...was staying with a friend. I only had my cell phone and laptop.

10. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

May 26, 2008

I lost a baby carseat for a few days. They loaned me one and personally delivered me mine when it was found. I was 45 minutes away from the airport. If they hadn't found it within a certain period of time, they agreed to reimburse me for one.

11. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

May 26, 2008

The year that I lived in a different state, I came home for spring break to see my bf.

I brought two suitcases- one with stuff I needed, and one with things I wasn't going to need until I moved home, that I wanted to get out of my way.

They lost the suitcase with my clothes and everything, and I got the one with my cookbooks, old textbooks, and extra blankets!

They found it the next day, but I hated that I had to spend the first day I'd seen my bf in months with no makeup, frizzy hair, dirty jeans, and his shirt!

12. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

May 28, 2008

Yes, yes, yes. The worst was last summer when my sister and I flew to San Antonio for a teachers' conference. They lost all our luggage! The newbie at the lost luggage place accidentally told us that our airline had 800 bags unaccounted for that day! Something happened in Seattle, and lots of people were just out of luck.

We went to our conference. Luckily, our hotel opened into the big Rivercenter Mall! We bought a few tshirts and undies, and wore the same jeans and tennies all week! We decided we were going to enjoy ourselves no matter what and we did. Our luggage arrived the day before we were to return. No explanation.

Now I always either wear a nice outfit that will work where I am headed, or pack an essential outfit in the carry on with small toiletries. Hey, Safeway is selling little packs of shampoo, conditioner, mouthwash, etc, all in a little bag, all small enough to go through security. Things are sure changing. I just heard that come July, we will all only be allowed to check one bag, period!

13. Amers

Amers Cohort

May 28, 2008

This thread scares me! I've flown one time, and the airport didn't lose my luggage. We didn't have to change planes at all though. I'm flying to Miami next month, and we have to change planes in Chicago on the way down and somewhere in Alabama (I think) on the way back. I would be devastated if my luggage was lost before my cruise! :unsure:

14. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

May 28, 2008

I have never flown on an airplaine before, but my mom has. She is a travel nurse and she went to CA I guess its been a yr now and she flew. They lost her stuff some stuff she boxed and sent home by mail. She was out there 18 weeks so it was a lot of stuff she needed to bring plus a weather change. I have a note also I have heard on the news channels that they are going to start charging like 15 dollars (thats no exact) per carry on you have. Also, if you bring a dog/cat its a charge now for that too(used to be free with ticket price). Hope this helps you!

15. jw13

jw13 Groupie

May 28, 2008

My luggage was lost when I traveled to San Diego. They found it somewhere where it shouldn't have been, of course. I had a hardshell suitcase. Well, they found a way to destroy it. When it got to me it was duct taped closed. It looked like they dropped it out of the plane at 35,000ft. Fortunately all my stuff was accounted for and they gave a suitcase to borrow for my return trip. I never did return that suitcase to them. :)

16. KDS

KDS Companion

May 28, 2008

just recently when all the American Airlines were cancelling right and left, i BARELY even got to Los Angeles. I thought we were going to be stuck in Dallas forever! and we live in Corpus!

I got my luggage 12 hours AFTER i got back! First thing i did when i got home was take off all my clothes and toss the undies in the trash! :)

17. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

May 28, 2008

Mine was lost on the way back from Europe. They found it a week later and it was delivered to my house. A little beat-up, but everything was still inside.

Ironically, it was lost between O'Hare and STL. lol All that travel and no probs until we get back home. Yeesh.

I still continue to check my luggage though. I hate it when people are blocking the aisles to stuff their pilot bag in the overhead. GRRR. Pet peeve of mine. :soapbox:

18. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

May 28, 2008

I flew back from Houston & they lost it. Worst part had my clothes in it that I needed for the next nite. I did get it back the next afternoon!!!

19. Amers

Amers Cohort

May 28, 2008

I read somewhere that American was going to start charging for checked luggage....ummm, I guess they better stop losing it if they're going to start charging people to check their belongings. I would be so mad if I had to pay to check my stuff, then they lost it!

20. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

May 28, 2008

No KIDDING!

I read that they are charging for the first set checked only. I was wondering if they had a max because our family of 5 is flying this summer. Can everybody be checked under my name?

21. Amers

Amers Cohort

May 28, 2008

I don't know how it will work. My fiance and I lucked out because we already bought our tickets. I think that American is going to start charging in June.

22. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

May 28, 2008

I have flown a LOT (my dad is a pilot) and it has happened to me once. I had visited my (at the time) boyfriend for 3 weeks and had absolutely everything I loved in my suitcase. I had actually tried to fly the day before, but the bus was full, so I had to wait. The day I flew was when they started the no liquids on planes. So if I had flown one day earlier, I would have taken my suitcase on the plane!

Well, enough with rambling-they lost my suitcase with all of my favorite things. I NEVER got it back. However, I did get about $2000 back for it. So a lot more than the $100 someone else said. I had to fill out a lot of forms, and it took me months to get the money, but it was nice to have it.

The very next time I flew they lost my suitcase again. I freaked out!!! But that time they found it an hour or two later!

23. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

May 29, 2008

No, but watch out for the luggage fees airlines are adopting these days. I know some airlines are charging $15 for ANY luggage you check-in. Other's charge money for overweight/oversized bags, and most will charge for checking in more than one bag!

24. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Jun 1, 2008

Our friend told us he actually saw the luggage handlers throwing luggage up in the air and letting it land on the ground! Crack heads or something! Our last trip, DD's brand new suitcase came off plane without a wheel. My wheel casing was torn almost off. They lost our luggage in Little Rock. They had someone there who's only job was to drive a van around and deliver the late luggage! That airline lost luggage every day! We got that luggage the same afternoon. I had outsmarted them though! I was to speak to a university class when we took our DD to visit, and I wore the clothes I wanted to speak in. haha!

Moral of the thread: always, always, always pack a complete outfit, toothbrush, and moisturizer in your carryon!

25. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jun 1, 2008

I've had mine lost twice, although I flew to between NC and RI about 10 times in 2004 (long-distance relationship.)

The first time it was lost for my whole trip, which was 4 days. I was given an allowance for each day, though. I think it was something like $45/day. All I had to do was mail my receipts to US Air and they mailed me a check a few days later. At least I got some free clothes this way lol. Gotta look at the bright side!

The second time they only lost my bags for about 12 hours. It was totally weird though because the airline actually called my cell phone and gave me directions to a McDonalds where I met some guy with my luggage. It was super-creepy.

26. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Jun 2, 2008

The last time my parents flew, they could tell that the bag had been opend and inspected by TSA ( latch was in a different position) although there was no sticker inside saying it had been inspected. My mom had bought 5 pairs of fancy (expensive) socks at a specialty store while they were on vacation. She never took them out of her packaging, and when they unpacked, they had been taken from the suitcase. She said it was about $30 worth of socks that she never got to wear. She was so mad, and of course, there's no way she would ever find them, even if she did report it to TSA.

27. Carmen13

Carmen13 Groupie

Jun 3, 2008

I have taken 10 roundtrip flights and it never happened to me.