Lucy Caulkins

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Beth2004, Sep 22, 2008.

1. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Sep 22, 2008

I went to see her speak today near Boston and as usual she was great! It was an all day Writers' Workshop conference and well worth the $150 my school spent for me to go! :) I saw her at Teachers College last March and I'm hoping to go again in October. Anyone else seen her?

3. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Sep 22, 2008

I have never seen her. I like some of her ideas. But can not do all of them in kindergarten it just doesn't work.

4. MissHunny

MissHunny Comrade

Sep 22, 2008

2 of my team members saw her last year and didn' think she was all that great, although we all love her units of study program.

5. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Sep 22, 2008

What was it that they didn't like about her? She's been great both times I've seen her. I love how she shows such good examples of student work to really illustrate what the students should be doing in their notebooks for each unit.

6. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Sep 22, 2008

No, I didn't get to see her, but she's on my list of "must sees" I did however get to attend a workshop by Irene Fountas last week, it was awesome!!! I can't believe you only paid $150, that's a bargain!

7. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Sep 22, 2008

My school sent two teachers to see Lucy and learn the writing program last year but it never worked out for us. At least we ended up with a lot of composition notebooks that we ended up using for regular journals. What is the innovation Lucy is supposed to bring to writing anyway? We never really understood what we were supposed to do. What was good to you about her program? Maybe we need to look over it again.

8. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Sep 22, 2008

If you're already using writers' workshop, then it's possible that you wouldn't find anything innovative about her program since that's what she teaches. I don't think that her program is any better than any other writers' workshop programs, I just really like the books she has for her grades 3-5 units of study and I love hearing her speak.

However, if you're not familiar with writers' workshop and still didn't find anything new or different about her methods, you probably do need to look it over again. Her ideas for teaching writing are pretty far from the "traditional" methods.