Lucy Calkins writing program anyone??

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by cariberry, Jul 11, 2006.

1. cariberry

cariberry Rookie

Jul 11, 2006

I am interested in buying the Lucy Calkins writing program for the primary grades. I teacher first grade. It is a large expense at $150, but have checked it out and researched it on the internet, one of my professors from college, and several friends who use it at their school. All of them rave about how wonderful it is...I spoke with my new principal about purchasing it for our grade level, she basically said it was out of the question.

Does anyone here use it, and would you recommend it as well? I might just go ahead and use half of my legislature funds to purchase it...

Thanks in advance,
    Cari

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 11, 2006

What do you get with the program? I bought both her books (The Art of Teaching Writing and Writing Between the Lines) on ebay.

4. IndyJo

IndyJo Companion

Jul 11, 2006

Yes her work is good. I've checked out her books from either my college's education library or a prof. dev. library. Then guess what I did?! I wrote notes and/or copied pages for me to get started. Then, if funds come along later or your principal changes your mind, then get it. If you can't get a copy of it, I'd check out websites that contain her information. By the way, if you tell your principal it will improve standardized test writing, you may get it! :0)

5. 5thgraderocks

5thgraderocks Companion

Jul 11, 2006

Our district purchased a six-pack of Lucy Calkins books for every classroom teacher. Our ILA coordinator gave me my books in June so I could read them over the summer. The books are called:
    Units of Study for Teaching Writing, Grades 3-5. There is another set for lower grades. I'm not sure if this is what you're referring to, but they are outstanding. I know I won't need any other resources for a LONG time!! I'm not sure if they cost 150.00??? I also have The Art of Teaching Writing and Writing Between the Lines. It's hard to imagine that six soft covered books would cost 150.00.

6. iteachk-1

iteachk-1 Rookie

Jul 11, 2006

It is well worth the price. The curriculum includes 9 books and a CD of printable resources so the $150.00 is not so bad. My school could not provide funding so I bought it myself. It is one of my most valuable resources.

I LOVE Lucy Calkins!!!!!! She is a master teacher in literacy instruction.

7. cariberry

cariberry Rookie

Jul 11, 2006

That's the one...

Thanks so much everyone for your input. I am going to try and borrow it from my professor for a short time to read it over again and make some copies...if I Like it even more, I think I will buy it.

Thanks,
    Cari

8. 5thgraderocks

5thgraderocks Companion

Jul 11, 2006

Oh my gosh

:eek:
    I went to check my kit. OK ... I took all the cellophane off:) I've read only Book One and part of Book Two. The 3-5 set that I have has six books plus "A Guide to the Writing Workshop." It was worth it to remove all of the plastic!! Guess what's sticking in the back??? It's a CD!! I can't wait to check it out! I nearly had to promise my firstborn grandchild to get the books for the summer. If they were $150.00 each, and our district purchased a set for every classroom teacher ... :wow:

I've been tied up with my "Bullying" class so you've given me incentive to hit the books again!!

9. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 11, 2006

Good thing you opened the pack! Lucky you.

10. iteachk-1

iteachk-1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2006

5thgraderocks,
    If the set you have is as good as the primary set, you will love it. The conferring handbook that comes with the primary set is really good. Is it not included with the 3-5 set?

You are so lucky that your school provided them for you. Enjoy!

11. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jul 12, 2006

I am wondering if there are workshops /professional development on her work/teachings. I looked on Ebay for the set which was about 150$. As others have said, it sounds worth it. :)

12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 12, 2006

It's totallly worth it. The poetry book alone is worth its weight in gold. My district bought every k-2 teacher the primary units. The grades 3-5 units a newer and I haven't seen them but I would definitelly recommend based on the experiences I've had with my set.

13. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jul 12, 2006

I assume these books are user friendly??? Is the WW explained in detail with activities?

14. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 12, 2006

OMG- couldn't be more user friendly. Gives a narrative of classroom experiences with the lessons, workshop ideas, and the CD is great with copies of work samples, forms and special papers to use in each unit.

15. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jul 12, 2006

Great! Thanks.

16. darzie

darzie Companion

Jul 12, 2006

Our school and district used Lucy last year in the lower grades. They loved it. This coming year, grades 3 - 5 will be using it as well. We have a very large K -5 elementary school (almost 800 kids). We have 11 elementary schools. Our district has bought the kits for every teacher. I've read through the first two soft cover books, and checked out the CD (which is awesome). It is a step by step approach to teaching writing. I can't wait to use it! I've taught writing to 4 classes of fifth graders for the past 10 years, and have been looking for more of an organized, structured approach. I think I've found it! Enjoy!

17. evil_twin2327

evil_twin2327 Rookie

Jul 12, 2006

Columbia Teachers College Reading and Writing Project

Lucy Calkins' program is the basis of the Columbia Teachers College Reading and Writing Project. I was lucky enough to do my practicum and student teaching in a project school. It is absolutely outstanding!! I know the project runs workshops in the tri-state area- there is a February mini institute and a summer institute. Other than those workshops, the others are only open to project schools (unfortunately!).

I am teaching 6th grade and I am very interested in the 3-5 set. If anyone does have it, would it be suitable/able to be modified for 6th graders?

18. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jul 12, 2006

Thanks evil Twin.... :D

19. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 12, 2006

evil- the third grade teachers in my building used many of the lessons from the K-2 set (before the 3-5 set came out!). I'm sure grade 6 would find valuable information in the 3-5 set.

20. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 12, 2006

I found The Art of Teaching Writing today at Salvation Army for 59 cents! Of course, that was after I ordered one on ebay and paid $4 for shipping. I would love to hear more about implemented her program.

21. 5thgraderocks

5thgraderocks Companion

Jul 17, 2006

I can't wait to get started ... Well, at least if summer has to come to an end ... it will be fun to implement all the ideas in my Units of Study for Teaching Writing, Grades 3-5 kit. It appears to be very user friendly.;)