Lucky Garbage Find

Discussion in 'General Education' started by janlee, Jul 28, 2008.

1. janlee

janlee Devotee

Jul 28, 2008

When putting out my recycles this morning I saw rectangular plastic pieces tied up with string at my neighbor's house. Being curious, I took it into the house to find out what it was. Wow! It was a rolling three tiered shelf about 4 feet high. Perfect for my reading corner! This is just one of many items I've seen being thrown out that I have "collected from the curb". I normally don't do this but when I see something I can use for my room I usually pick it up. Last week my son found a brand new fan, still in the box. Have you found anything being thrown out that you've picked up?

3. TeacherMJ

TeacherMJ Comrade

Jul 28, 2008

An entertainment center! A couple of years ago a friend and I hauled an entertainment center up a few flights of stairs after it was "thron away" at her apartment complex. I used it for a couple of years and now passed it along to another friend who needs to fill up a new apartment.

Other than that I love freecycle!!! :)

4. NewbieTeachr

NewbieTeachr Rookie

Jul 28, 2008

I found an organizer (like the ones that hold plastic bins or shoes). It was a Disney Cars one. The only thing that was wrong was that the bottom shelf was broken but I just taped it!

My husband got a computer chair with rollerblade wheels (super comfy)

I live in an apartment so I try to check the garbage area frequently because people are always moving and leaving good stuff!

5. michelleann27

michelleann27 Cohort

Jul 28, 2008

I guess I need to start looking around and see what I can come up with :) Ya'll haev lucked up.

6. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 28, 2008

I found the most comfiest couch and chair at my first apartment's curb. I got there at the same time as some other guy, so I took the chair and he got the couch. When I moved back home, my complained about the chair, as it wasn't the prettiest, but when I moved, she wouldn't let me take it! Everyone loves that chair.

I also found a really solid mailbox system being thrown out at my last school!! I couldn't believe it. I didn't need it at the time, as I was middle school, so I tucked it away in the corner of my room and put it in my storage unit when I left in February. I can't wait to use it in my third grade room this fall!!

7. janlee

janlee Devotee

Jul 28, 2008

Another place to look for items that are no longer wanted is a college or university when the spring semester is over and the students are moving out of their apartments. When I went to pick up my youngest son I couldn't believe the things the kids were throwing away. The school had placed dumpsters for unwanted items. Many things were still in boxes. What a waste of good money when so many of those items could be used by the less fortunate or teachers outfitting their classrooms.
    One man's trash is another man's treasure! Happy Hunting!

Last edited: Jul 28, 2008
  8. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Jul 28, 2008

I scored an child-sized artist's easel. four nice antique dining chairs (I recovered the seats with a leopard-print fabric), a perfectly good wooden adirondack chair and a stack of childrens' books. Our heavy trash days are like a treasure hunt -- and in our neighborhood, you have to get out early to get the good stuff!

9. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Jul 28, 2008

I haven't done this; a colleague has, and I say great!

That being said, you might want to check with your city. My city just reinstated an ordinance AGAINST going through the trash. It states that once placed at the curb, it becomes property of the city. You are subject to a ticket, fine, ??? whatever else.

Sorry to rain on anyone's parade, but it's worth a check.

10. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jul 28, 2008

I got a huge plastic little tykes playhouse from a guy unloading it off his truck at the dump. There was nothing wrong with it except that his daughter had outgrown it. I realize that I have boys, but they LOVE playing "fix it" in their house. They moved their tool bench out there and everything.

11. alilisa

alilisa Habitué

Jul 28, 2008

OOOH-It sounds like you have found some great finds everyone! I wish I could happen by some good stuff for my classroom (although I probably really don't need it!! ;) )

12. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Jul 29, 2008

I love "street shopping"!

13. Motzie

Motzie Rookie

Jul 29, 2008

It doesn't work for my classroom, but I found a very good condition foozball table at our dumpsters. Someone had carefully placed it beside the dumpster because they knew it was too good to just throw away...I'm sure they were hoping someone could use it. It works out great when I have my grandsons over!

14. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

Jul 29, 2008

My neighbors put out 3 solid wood dining room chairs. I took them for a friend who was getting divorced and needed furniture.

15. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jul 29, 2008

I missed getting some treasure. A few days ago I saw a shelf that someone put out. I was going to be leaving back out to go to school in a few minutes, so I went into my apartment. When I came back it was gone. I'll never hesitate to pick something up again.

Sometimes though trash might really be junk. A few days ago I saw a pretty floral chair and ottoman at the dumpster, and a lady and man were looking at it, sitting on it and trying it out. When I left the house later it was gone. A few days later it was right back at the dumpster. I don't know what the problem was, but I know I didn't want to find out!