Lubbock teacher fired for Facebook rant

Discussion in 'General Education' started by 3Sons, Jun 14, 2015.

1. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Jun 14, 2015

3. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

Jun 14, 2015

At this point I feel teachers especially should know better than to post whatever they want on social media. Whether it's right or not is a different issue, but the fact is that teachers simply CANNOT post and say the same things online as other people without extreme consequences up to and including the loss of a job and teaching licensure.

It is a free speech issue, and I won't go into my opinions on what she actually said, but the point is that right now, that's how it is for teachers. Maybe it'll change, but probably not.

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 14, 2015

I think it probably would have interfered with her job, or had the potential to do so, if she had remained employed. It doesn't bother me to see an ignorant teacher ousted, actually.

5. heatherberm

heatherberm Cohort

Jun 14, 2015

The right to free speech just means that she won't be hauled off to jail. It doesn't protect her from being fired and in this case, I don't think it should. I don't have much problem with someone who works with children and families - all children and all families - getting the boot after publicly posting something that ignorant.

6. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Jun 14, 2015

To publicly display racist and hurtful comments like that is just wrong. Firing might be a bit on the harsh side, but I can understand it. If someone feels what she says is not racist, then I guess we will need to agree to disagree.

7. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Jun 14, 2015

I actually have a huge problem with people being held accountable for what they say privately such as a private email being circulated or a secretly recorded conversation (Donald Sterling). People should have the right to opinions even if we find them offensive.

But to put something like this publicly is a choice. I don't like that firing always seems to be the go to option, but it demonstrated very poor judgment and a lot of parents would likely be upset to have her as their child's teacher.

8. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Jun 14, 2015

I'm going to let the school district run with their decision on this matter. She has right to her opinion, but it was a dumb thing to post on Facebook l.

9. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jun 14, 2015

I think the district was right to fire her, and I'm glad that acted quickly. Freedom of speech and freedom from consequences are not mutually exclusive ideas. You can not be employed with tax payer dollars in a position that serves the entire public and make derogatory, hateful, slanderous comments about one section of that community. You just can't.

There's NO WAY I would want my personal children (2 of whom are biracial) in her class. Based on what she said, I would not be able to trust her judgment in any discipline situation my children where involved in.

10. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Jun 14, 2015

Freedom of speech=/=freedom from consequences.

If she had done this in a stupid, drunken rant in front of a couple buddies that somehow got taped and released, that would be a different story, but if you post something this offensive in a public forum under your own name, you deserve whatever you have coming your way.

With that said, something like this always makes me a little nervous about slippery slope possibilities.

11. Reality Check

Reality Check Habitué

Jun 14, 2015

I'll never understand why folks that do this don't create a bogus "Facebook" account to announce their unvarnished opinions.

:huh:

If they feel they have to have a "Facebook" page under their own, real name, use that account for picnic pictures, family, and "Hey, how about this weather?" comments.

12. greendream

greendream Cohort

Jun 15, 2015

Bingo. She won't be sitting in a jail cell for what she said, but anyone with half a brain knows that whatever you post online can definitely get you fired. It's been proven time and time again.

13. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Jun 15, 2015

It most certainly does not just mean you won't be carted to jail. There are a host of things the government cannot do in response to free speech. They can't fine you for it, for example. And if this teacher had posted a rant on how Obama was destroying the country (sans racism) she would certainly have a good case for wrongful termination (note: as opposed to a private employer, who could freely fire someone for their political views).

I suspect, as someone mentioned, that this would interfere with her job and she'd lose a suit.

I don't care one whit about this fool losing her job. I might care, though, when someone wants to use this as a precedent for other cases.

14. vateacher757

vateacher757 Cohort

Jun 15, 2015

I just took a portion from the link and will make a few observations.

First she lumps ALL blacks into the "drop out of school, no education basket. If she feels that way I can only imagine how she feels about the black kids in her class and how she treats them.

Second she wants "them" all on one side of town to leave the innocent (white) people alone....again lumping ALL blacks into the basket of being violent etc etc

Third she says she is stating her true and honest opinion so this is how she REALLY feels about black people and she has the nerve to apologize and also say it was NOT directed ant any one person or group, yeah right.

She is the type of person that should not be teaching any diverse group of people. She may a great teacher but not the one to teach in a diverse setting with her views.

15. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 15, 2015

She shouldn't even be teaching in a setting that is not diverse.

16. hopesma

hopesma Rookie

Jun 15, 2015

I don't think she should be teaching at all either. If she is willing to make those statements publicly, I'm sure her views come through her teaching, subtle or not. We teach our kids that everyone should have equal rights and I would not want my children being told or shown otherwise by someone in a "teaching" role.

It is drilled into us in our district that teachers have to be so careful online. It just boggles my mind that she let go like that, unless she'd been drinking heavily, which could open up a whole new can of worms.

17. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Jun 15, 2015

Agreed. It is semantics. Even if you disagree with firing due to her personal beliefs--OK, she was fired for her stupidity.

18. vateacher757

vateacher757 Cohort

Jun 16, 2015

Oh I don't think she should be teaching at all but the reality is there are people who would welcome her with open arms to teach their children.......perhaps even open their own non public school to do so.

19. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jun 16, 2015

There are parts of this country that share her views and would gladly hire her to teach their children.

Fortunately...those parts of the country are very limited.

20. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Jun 16, 2015

Now, I daresay most of us have opinions on social structures and subcultures and whatnot and perhaps discussions can get heated. But you watch how you discuss them. And a teacher should work to understand all students.