LTS Interview Wednesday

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by emmakate218, Aug 31, 2009.

1. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Aug 31, 2009

I just received a call requesting an interview for a 12 week LTS teaching position in 2nd grade. The teacher will be going on maternity leave soon. Cool. I've never been called for a LTS position and on top of it all, it is in the most exclusive district in my area. I've never even interviewed in this district before. I attended school there K-12 though, but not even that is enough to get in! Ha! Another neat thing is that the LTS position will be at an elementary school I attended 5th grade at and one of my nephews is currently in 5th grade there! I'm excited because I know a LTS position is surely a way to get my foot in the door with the district and the fact that I attended school there K-12 will finally benefit me. Anywho, my interview is Wednesday at 4 pm.

Does anyone have any tips about interviewing for a LTS teaching position? What type of questions do you think I'll be asked in regards to being a LTS?

3. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Aug 31, 2009

Good luck! The two LTS interviews I went to this summer just asked the normal interview questions.

4. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Aug 31, 2009

If you would be coming in after the year has started they might as how you would help the students transition from having the regular teacher to you. What would you do it make the transition easier for them (since they are young).

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 31, 2009

Good luck!!!!!!

6. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

Aug 31, 2009

I had an interim interview for mid year but I would have been taking over for the teacher. As one poster said, they were very similar questions to what you would be asked if interviewing for a FT postion. How would you handle discipline? Reading block questions, etc. Definitely what TeacherNY said about transitioning...I think I had something in regards to the parents and the transitioning (you know parents are going to be worried--I would be).

Good luck!! :)

7. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Aug 31, 2009

Me, too. I have been interviewing for sub positions and the questions are standard teacher interview questions! They did ask me what is the most important thing a sub should do, and I answered to keep everything going how the teacher has it planned so that they wont miss out on a day of learning. Stick to the sub plans, and get your behavior management in place right away. I guarantee they will ask a behav. mngmt question. I know you will do great! Good luck Emmakate! It sounds like a great job. :)

8. Teacher87

Teacher87 Rookie

Aug 31, 2009

Good luck!

9. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Aug 31, 2009

Good luck! I had the same question that was mentioned already about transitioning-- I came in midyear and left near the end of the year (covered a maternity leave). Definitely prepare to answer a question like that.

10. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 31, 2009

Good luck! When I interviewed for my LTS position, the questions were the same as normal, but it was a full year position. I'd be prepared for the transition questions like others suggested. Good luck!!!!!!!!

11. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Sep 1, 2009

Thanks for all the suggestions and the well wishes, y'all!

I feel confident. I did a year of practicums in second grade and I attended school in the district K-12.

I'm sure too that I will be asked how I will handle transitioning the students and the parents since I would be coming in just after the beginning of the year.

Last year, I was reassigned from pre-k to third grade because of enrollment - this happened a month after the school began. It was a tough transition because the students were pulled from their original class and into my class. Lots of upset students and parents. Ugh. From what I learned last year, some just don't get over it (typically the parents) and they can usually make it worse for the child. I had one student last year so upset (it was really his mother projecting onto him) that he told me his father was going to call the principal and complain and have him moved back to his original teacher. He said this to me in front of his mother when she was picking him up after school. She just let him rant and rave. I just know that he picked it up from her - she had probably been spending the past couple days ranting and raving to her husband about the situation and she didn't even care that he was witnessing it. Way to make your child resilient! When he said that to me, I dropped down to eye level and firmly told him, "I understand you're upset, but we need to try our best to be positive and make the most out of this change." I did it mainly so the mother could hear it. She knew how he was speaking to me was wrong and that he picked up his negativity from her.

It's really the parents that dictate whether or not the child will be positive or negative about the situation. So, I think some parents, once they hear I'm qualified, they'll be comfortable with the change, but some parents will take longer to win over and will want to see the "proof in the pudding" first before they're comfortable.

What do y'all think about this? At what point do you think parents become comfortable?

12. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Sep 1, 2009

That happened to me last year, too. I took students from 3 other teachers classrooms. Fortunately the parents all were ok with the move. Sorry you had that experience!

13. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Sep 2, 2009

I'm leaving in about 15 min. for my interview at 4 o'clock. I've been so anxious all day! Eek! I will be back soon to update!

14. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

Sep 2, 2009

:) Can't wait to hear the details! :)

15. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Sep 2, 2009

Sending good vibes your way!!

16. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Sep 2, 2009

oooo... can't wait to hear.

(We are a small bunch these days... and I'm longing to hear that one of you has gotten a bite!)

17. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Sep 2, 2009

I'm back!

I think it went really well and I'm excited! Be forewarned, this may become rambly:

I got there a bit early and waited in the front office while the staff meeting was coming to an end. In walks a pregnant teacher...she sits down and instantly, I knew she was going to join the principal and I during the interview. The nerves are starting to really build at this point. We started chatting right away - about her pregnancy (it's her first...good news!), my experiences teaching, and how I attended school at the elementary and graduated from the district. And then, in walks another pregnant teacher! Double score! Two teachers - one second grade and one third grade will be out for 12 weeks. The third grade teacher and I started chatting about whether or not she had my nephew when he was in third grade there. The principal walks in while we're all chatting...I stop to say hello and she's like, "Don't let me stop y'all!" The interview starts with questions about teaching methods. Then there were a couple questions about working on a team. They all took notes, but the conversation kept flowing. I made sure to talk about handling the transition even though it wasn't really asked. I think I answered all the questions really well! The last question was about my personal info and as I told the principal about how I was born and raised in the town, attended school in the district K-12...she was like, "Did you go to school here?!" And I told her yes...she was all excited to hear that. I then told her I have one nephew that is in fifth grade there and another nephew had been in special education at there. She asked their names and she knew immediately who they were.

What could have gone better? I asked two questions - one about having a mentor/buddy and one about professional development. She wanted me to ask more...I just kept thinking, "I don't have anymore! I grew up in the area and even went to school here! I don't need to know anything else!" She tend proceeds to tell me about their student population..."Yeah, yeah, I knew that." is what I kept thinking.

The two teachers were very nice and it was kinda funny at the end because since we all started chatting when we first met each other in the front office, we didn't exchange names. At the end of the interview, one of the teachers was like, "we didn't tell you our names!"

While I was waiting in the front office, the principal's secretary called about three to four people to come in for an interview! Eek! How many people are they interviewing?! As I was leaving, another candidate was waiting...she was wearing a long denim skirt and a peachy colored shirt that looked like a scrub top!

The principal said they're interviewing other people and hope to have a decision made by next week.

To sum it up: 2 open 12 week LTS teaching positions in second and third grade, they start in October and go through part of January, the interview went well - the flow was more conversational, decision to be made by next week

Do you think it would be appropriate to e-mail thank yous to the principal and the two teachers or should I snail-mail?

18. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Sep 2, 2009

Sounds like a great interview, emma! I think that e-mailed thank yous would be fine. Good luck!

19. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

Sep 2, 2009

Sounds good!!! :) Good luck!!!

20. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 2, 2009

Sounds great, emma! With time on your hand, I would snail mail thank yous.

21. Jlyn07

Jlyn07 Comrade

Sep 2, 2009

I think you have a great shot at getting one of those positions!! I think I'd snail mail the thank you's since they won't be making a decision until next week. If you sent them out tomorrow they might even get them Friday.