LTS Change

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by jen12, May 10, 2012.

1. jen12

jen12 Devotee

May 10, 2012

The teacher who I'm long term subbing for wants to return two weeks early and finish out the school year.

I'm thrilled and not thrilled.

Yay:
    A) The age group is pre-k and they're exhausting.
    B) The dynamic inside the classroom with the aides is not good. They can't stand each other, and I have spoken to both of them about job performance. One argues back, the other one does what I ask, then seems to forget about it. Basically, I have one aide who is a control freak and the other one is another child. From what I hear, this is not anything to do with me. These problems were in place well before I got there.
    C) I miss older kids who can read.
    D) I have a cold I can't shake. I need to get away from children coughing in my face!

Boo:
    A) The job was supposed to go to the end of the school year. I'm not sure how many day-to-day sub jobs I'll find during the last two weeks of classes.
    B) Less money...I don't do this for my own enjoyment. I need the tiny check I get each month.

So...welcome to subbing...we go with the flow and adapt to change.

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

May 10, 2012

Sorry for the last minute change. It's always hard when you were expecting something to find out that it's not coming. There will be some sub jobs these last two weeks, but probably not consistent work.

4. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

May 11, 2012

Does your state allow you to apply for underemployment in the event you are not called at least 4 days? I would look into it...if you leave has been at least 6 months I think you would qualify.

5. ciounoi

ciounoi Cohort

May 11, 2012

Sorry about this... it can't be fun! Could you ask the preschool if there is any way you could sub there for the last two weeks? Even if nobody's out, they might need coverage just from end of the year stuff.

6. Nitch

Nitch Rookie

May 11, 2012

Bummer.

7. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 12, 2012

Yep, I completely undersand how you feel having been a sub myself for a good 10 yrs. Well, there's nothing you can do about it, so to try to make that last good money before you're out, I'd send a mass email to all the teachers saying that you're available to sub.

At the beginning of every school yr when I used to sub, I'd send a mass email out titled, "Your Substitute is Available!" & I'd send it with a read receipt so you know how many of them read it...or at least bothered to read it.

By the way, I don't particularly like toddlers & really little kids either. I like kids I can actually converse with too!

8. Christinak6

Christinak6 Rookie

May 15, 2012

I just had the same thing happen to me, but I was teaching in an upper grade class. It's all bitter sweet since I think that I was ready for some change. I've learned a lot from this assignment and have grown as a teacher.