Lowercase b & d Help

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by cdowdell, May 15, 2008.

1. cdowdell

cdowdell Companion

May 15, 2008

A lot of my students are still struggling with this when they read and write. Do you have any ideas on activities/lessons to do w/ them? It's late in the year but I want to hit it again.

3. kidsalot

kidsalot Comrade

May 15, 2008

I use 2 visuals . For /b/ I draw a baseball bat and baseball . If you draw them close together they look like a lowercase /b/
    For/d/ I draw a dish and knife(I know it doesn't begin with /d/ but it is the dish they see first) Once again if you draw them close together they look like a lowercase /d/

4. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

May 15, 2008

I think it looks like a bed. You can make that visual aid.

5. Silmarienne

Silmarienne Cohort

May 16, 2008

This being Kindergarten, I leave b, d, p and q to the first and second grade teachers. Reversals are normal until at least second, for most kids it clears up on its own.

6. Sheila

Sheila Comrade

May 16, 2008

You can play tic-tac-toe with b and d.

I also have a die that has a,b,c,d,e,f glued on to it. They have a piece of paper with all the letters at the bottom and empty squares above the letter. One child at a time rolls the die. Then the children record on the sheet by writing the letter in a box above the letter that was rolled. They like to see which letter makes it to the top first.

Another idea is to play memory with b,d,p and q.

Also, you can play ZAP/SNAP/BOOM/OH NO. Gather a t least 24 craft sticks. On ten write b and the other ten d. Then on 4 write your choice of word (ex ZAP). The kids draw the sticks and read the letters. You keep drawing and keep what you can read. If you draw a ZAP you have to put all the sticks back. My kids love this game.

You can create a letter search. Like a word search but they need to look for b and d only.

Find an old Connect Four Game. Glue b's and d's on the game pieces. They can then play connect four.

7. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

May 16, 2008

While you can practice it, I agree with this statement. Some reversals still occur by the end of first grade but it does diminish.

8. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

May 16, 2008

I just remind them. If the whole class is writing and I see a couple of students with reversals, I just make a general announcement to check. We have the alphabet up in the room in several places. Then when I read the writing with individuals, I just point out reversals and they fix them. Often I see children checking without the reminder.

If they are reading and trying to sound something out and are saying /b/ for /d/ I simply say, "that's a d."

It is developmental and they will get it.

Love the Connect 4 idea, though! I'm thinking of all sorts of ways to adapt that one!

9. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

May 16, 2008

I've made a connect 4 board with masking tape in a snap on tables before.

10. SueHue

SueHue Comrade

May 18, 2008

A parent recently showed me how she helped her daughter remember the formation of the letter b by writing the word boy and making it into a picture of a boy with glasses. In case you are not artistic, here's how she did it:
    the circles of the b and o are the eyes/glasses
    the hair is an arc/rainbow from the tops of the y to the b
    the chin comes out from the bottom of the y
    add ears, mouth, and a nose

Most of the students remember the word boy starts with b - they read the bathroom signs at school. Since I've introduced the drawing, the students have been doing much better with the reversal. However, I still see them checking the alphabet from time to time in front of the classroom to make sure they have the correct letter.

11. KinderMissN

KinderMissN Companion

May 18, 2008

I draw a picture of a doughnut. Doughnut before the line = d (doughnut begins with /d/) After the line= b

12. hojalata

hojalata Comrade

May 18, 2008

I taught my students to use their thumbs as a guide. If you give the thumbs up sign with your left hand it looks like a b, and if you give it with your right hand, it looks like a d. So we say a, B (hold up left hand), c, D (hold up right hand). Of course we did a lot of explaining before hand about how this can help you (they didn't just magically understand). We also have little posters of two thumbs and then lightly traced over with the b and the d so students can see the correlation. For the kids who get them mixed up all the time we give them a little card to put on their desks.

13. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

May 18, 2008

That's my favorite idea so far!!

14. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

May 18, 2008

Great idea!!!! I teach first and still have two girls who do the reversals (I started the year with about half the class reversing, so yes, they do diminish on their own!) and this is a great idea! I will make a few for desks and to send home for writing at home. :)

15. sfteach

sfteach Rookie

May 26, 2008

Teach them that writing a 'd' starts with the letter 'c'. 'b' starts at the top.

Hope this helps!