Lower middle class + how much do I charge for tutoring?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by corps2005, Aug 16, 2008.

1. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

Aug 16, 2008

Well, I took a big pay cut to work in the system in which I am working, but I love it here. :) I do need to supplement my pay, so I've been thinking of becoming a private tutor. I don't plan on going to the houses of my students or having them come to mine. Instead, I will meet at a public place like a public library. I'm also going to stick to tutoring grades 1-5. I won't have to worry about seeing students from my school because they cannot afford the costs of a private tutor and are considered low income.

1. I'm not sure how much to charge a lower middle class family, which is what the majority of families in my area are. Some of the teachers at my school charge anywhere from 25-50 (50 is with a master's degree) dollars an hour. I was thinking of charging 20 dollars an hour, due to the restrictions I have. Is that too low? Should I charge 25 and see if there are any biters? I'm also only looking to take on 1-3 students.

Right now, I've taught for four years. I'm certified for early childhood (k-5). I am also in the last year of my Master's in Reading and Literacy.

2. Also, how should I go about doing this? Should I put flyers out in my community? Should I put an ad out on Craigslist?

3. Can I tutor in places like the public library? Would restaurants like McDonald's or the such work also? Do libraries usually charge you to tutor there?

Any suggestions?

3. peachieteachie

peachieteachie Comrade

Aug 16, 2008

I would at least charge $30/hour, but it is really your choice. Your human resources department might have some sort of tutor listing that they can put your name on, so when parents call seeking a tutor, human resources can give them your name and number. I would also post an ad on Craigslist or even put an ad in the newspaper. I would definitely tutor in a public place like the public library instead of McDonalds or elsewhere. Libraries are more quiet and even more academic. I don't think libraries charge you to tutor there, but you can always call and ask.

Good luck with tutoring!!

4. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Aug 17, 2008

I charge $15 an hour. I'm thinking of raising it to $20 though. I tutor after school in my classroom.

5. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Aug 17, 2008

I charged $30 an hour, but it was a very well-off area and I drove there instead of having the child come to me. I think $20 or $25 is VERY reasonable. $15/hour is a steal!! :)

6. michelleann27

michelleann27 Cohort

Aug 17, 2008

I agree 15 bucks is a steal I know teachers even in low income areas have charged 50 bucks an hour.

7. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 17, 2008

As a mom I think I would have a hard time paying more than $15 an hour and my child would have to be failing and the teacher would have to be TOP NOTCH for me to consider more. Having said that, I know that the going rate, according to this board, is well more than $15.

8. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Aug 18, 2008

The thing is, those professional tutoring businesses charge sooooo much they are out of reach for almost all of my parents. I think it's ridiculous because they don't seem to do all they claim. And really, how is a parent to know if their child is at grade level or a year below? It varies so much by region, district, even school. Grade level expectations at my school are higher than at some schools and a bit lower than others in the city. At least if I'm tutoring them I know where they need to be so I make it affordable.

9. math_teacher

math_teacher Companion

Aug 18, 2008

runsw/scissors - I noticed you said you tutor in your classroom -- I find that very interesting bc my district strictly prohibits tutoring on school grounds. Is that unique to my school or do other districts have similar policies?

10. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Aug 18, 2008

I can't speak for the districts; I teach at a private school. I got permission from my P a number of years ago and just continued.

11. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Aug 18, 2008

3. Can I tutor in places like the public library? Would restaurants like McDonald's or the such work also? Do libraries usually charge you to tutor there?

Libraries would the best for tutoring as long as you can find a quiet area! Ironically, my local library can still be noisy (kids crying and their moms don't even take them out of the library!) and the librarians don't seem to care. Most public places can be distracting but if you find a quiet coffee shop without loud music that might work too!

Good luck.

12. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Aug 18, 2008

In my area, the library does not charge you to tutor there...and it is usually quiet as long as you're not in the "children's area". McDonald's might be distracting...however, I think even a quiet park can work. Sometimes it just depends on the student!!

13. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

Aug 18, 2008

Fantastic! These are great ideas. :) I'm waiting for a response from our local library just to be sure. I never thought of a coffee shop though. That would definitely work. A place Barnes and Noble might work too. What do you guys think about B and N?

14. jenngugs

jenngugs Companion

Aug 18, 2008

My library has quiet study rooms you can reserve in advance for free...I usually do this with my students.
    I wouldn't do B&N just because I'd spend all of my tutoring money ;)

15. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Aug 19, 2008

I have seen many people tutoring at B&N and Borders in the coffee shops. They usually have quiet music playing and most everyone respects the desire to keep the area quiet for readers.

16. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Aug 19, 2008

I teach at a private school, I will be tutoring in my classroom after school for $20.00 per hour/$10.00 for a half hour.