Lower Back Pain

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by deedee, Mar 6, 2008.

1. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Mar 6, 2008

How do you know if back pain is because of a slip disk or something like that or something wrong with kidneys or a cyst? I have had a large pain in my lower back for about 5 days now and it is just getting stonger. I bought a heating pad and excedrin back meds today and it doesnt seem to be working. What could it be????? Should I see a doctor or a chiropractor?

3. glenn

glenn Rookie

Mar 6, 2008

I really believe in chiropractic care. A chiropractor can determine what the cause of the your pain is . The chiropractor can then treat it with an adjustment or something like ultrasound if that is what he or she determines would be the best treatment plan for you.

4. little317

little317 Groupie

Mar 6, 2008

Yup. I'd look into a chiropractor. They can even write prescriptions for massages if that is what you need. Also, remember to do both ice and heat. Ice first and then heat. I also use stuff called Biofreeze. Its similar to something like Bengay, but it feels cold.....yet doesn't stink for ages!

5. Tbelle1035

Tbelle1035 Cohort

Mar 7, 2008

If it was me I would get myself to a doctor. It could be many things. I'd rather be safe.

Most of the time it's nothing to be alarmed about, but I'd feel better if I saw a professional...

Good luck, and take care of yourself!

6. kburen

kburen Cohort

Mar 7, 2008

Go to a doctor before a chiropractor. I had the same issue...VERY intense back pain in the lower back, to the point of crying in pain to sit, lay, or even stand. I couldn't bend to lift a toilet seat without extreme pain. Eventually it was found (after 3 dr. visits, a week on prednizone and percoset for pain at night, x-rays, and seeing an orthopedic) that when I fell a year and a half ago I tore the protective tissue and muscle away from my spine and had an exposed disk. The orthopedic gave me an exercise to do on my own and i was on bed rest for about 2 weeks. I've been ok since and only experience pain at night and it isn't bad enough to even take pain meds.

7. rchlkay

rchlkay Companion

Mar 9, 2008

I think you'll find everyone disagreeing on what to do. It really just depends on your own personal feelings. However you feel, get to one of the two because you don't want to mess with what could be serious. The above poster found out something serious by going to the doctor. I went to the doctor and got brushed off several times (3 appt.s and an ER visit in 2 days) by being told it was a pulled muscle and to stretch. After just one appt. with a chiro, she ordered an MRI. Turns out I have several ruptured disks and a few other problems. I'm scheduled for surgery over spring break.

8. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Mar 9, 2008

A lot depends on YOU. If you're like me and have a very high tolerance for pain, then anything that you would be noticing would be severe enough to send you to a doctor.

Things like that are also very non-specific to a condition as well. I've had lower back pain with my period, an ovarian cyst, a kidney stone, gall bladder trouble, and kidney failure. In only two of those cases was the pain enough to send me to the doctor, but in all cases once the problem was fixed, the back pain disappeared.

9. janlee

janlee Devotee

Mar 9, 2008

In my opinion this forum should not be a place to be diagnosed. An individual is the only one who truly knows what is happening to their body. Visit a physician and once a diagnosis has been made for something that is affecting you and you have a prescribed treatment then ask if anyone has used this particular treatment and did it work. Everyone is different! My mother and I have had back pain and my sister then developed pain over the holidays. She thought she would do what we did. It got worse. She finally saw a doctor and found out she had a virus in her spine. Needless to say she wasted valuable treatment time.

10. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Mar 9, 2008

Because of the massive snow storm I wasnt able to see a doctor yet but if the pain continues on monday I am making an appointment. I understand a few of the symptoms now so I am not as worried as I was before.

Ima - You basically described me, I hate to go to the doctor if its something that will go away in a few days.

janlee- To be honest the reason I posted was because I wanted to hear opinions not be diagnosied. I am away from home and thought I would get a few opinions before I jump to Urgent Care, which is the closest physician. thank you for your opinion!

11. janlee

janlee Devotee

Mar 9, 2008

DEEDEE your welcome. I hope all things work out for you.

12. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Mar 9, 2008

Doctor first, could be your kidneys. My mom recently had a really bad bladder infection and didn't know it until her back started hurting so bad because the infection had reached her kidneys!