Low Socioeconomic School

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by TeachCreateInspire, Oct 18, 2018.

1. TeachCreateInspire

TeachCreateInspire Rookie

Oct 18, 2018

I was just hired to teach 1st grade at a low socioeconomic school. The principal stressed how important behavior management is, because this school has a lot of behavior issues. I am very excited about this opportunity, but I want to be extremely prepared! Can anyone give me advice on what to expect and things I should try and/or avoid? I've been doing my research, but I'm sure someone on here can tell me something I haven't read or thought of yet. Any advice is appreciated!!!

3. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Oct 18, 2018

Is this your first teaching position? If so, I would start with Harry Wong's First Days of School and use that like your bible. It is also essential to not think of your students as "low SES" or "behavior issues" or even "at-risk." Think of them as individuals first, and always keep a growth mindset. I know this seems like it can't really make a difference, but it does. It took me years to really understand the effect our mindset has on the outcomes of our classes.

4. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Oct 18, 2018

With first grade model everything you want. Play "copy the teacher". For example, you can show them by pushing in your chair and lining up how you want them to line up. You model to them how you'd like them to use a quiet voice in working with a partner etc. Then see if they can copy you and do as well as you did. Praise them as they correctly copy your behaviors. Be really positive with them. If it is a game and they see you doing it, they will get it. If they don't get it right the first time, no problem! Model it again and practice again. If you just tell them to be quiet or tell them you want this and that other thing...well it will be a long year.

Look at first graders as children with huge eyes and smaller ears. If you show them, they will do much better then a lot of verbal directions. They need routines that are practiced.

I have seen some really good First grade teachers and some who really struggle. The best ones are patient and persistent in modeling and practicing the routines. Once students know and follow those, then you can teach and have a lot of fun with them.