Low readers in 4th, 5th and 6th grade

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by indianateacher, Oct 3, 2011.

1. indianateacher

indianateacher Rookie

Oct 3, 2011

I have a group of about 8, 4th-6th graders who are at a 1st grade reading level. All are LD. Right now I have been working on sight words, using a book with sight word poems. I also use 1st grade leveled readers that I have the students take turns reading aloud.

My question is what should I teach next to improve these kids' reading? My school does not have a reading program for Special Ed. at this time.

Thanks in advance for your ideas!

3. ciounoi

ciounoi Cohort

Oct 3, 2011

If you assess your students to find out their reading level, you can borrow from the Read 180 model and have them read high-interest, easy books to improve. These students need all the reading practice they can get! I think there is actually a site online (don't remember where,though) where you can find the reading levels of various books. Try googling it.

4. indianateacher

indianateacher Rookie

Oct 3, 2011

I do an assessment our Special Ed. department in our district requires that tells me their reading level. I'll look online for a website that gives the levels of picture books. I'm trying to talk my principal into getting Read 180 or something similar!

5. AndreGreen

AndreGreen Companion

Oct 3, 2011

For our struggling 4th and 5th Grade students. We use Read 180 for 4th Grade and Reading Plus for the 5th Graders. Both programs are basically the same, they do differ from each slighty. Also, for our 1st Grade struggling readers, we have a program called Let's Read- it's a one-on-one program for struggling readers.

6. TAKlinda

TAKlinda Rookie

Oct 17, 2011

Reading fluency is easily improved if you have students use highlighters to decode word lists. They find small words or sound units within the larger word.

7. newtoclass

newtoclass Rookie

Oct 22, 2011

Is there a test that you could give them to assess their phonological awareness/phonics knowledge? I've read a number of articles on LD stating that a lot of kids who are LD have gaps in these areas. This year, for my LD students (second graders who read at a kindergarten level), we are working on these skills.

8. lisamicheller

lisamicheller Rookie

Oct 22, 2011

You can find reading levels by book title here: http://www.lexile.com/fab/ (search on the right if you don't know the student's Lexile)> If you have a specific book title that you want to find a level for, use the Quick Book Search at the top.

I would suggest starting a resource for those students on a daily basis that includes:
    * word families (ie: amp, camp, clamp, tramp) build-ups,
    * highlighting vowel sounds in CVC words to focus on the vowel then reading the word,
    * high-frequency sight word and word bank practice,
    * reading a short passage each day relevant to the warm up,
    * writing letters for sounds (ie, say "Write the letter or letters for the sounds I say."),
    * copying written sentences (carefully monitoring capitalization, spelling, and punctuation).

Good luck!

9. bros

bros Phenom

Oct 22, 2011

The district psych could perform the GORT

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 23, 2011

Not sure what you mean by this?