Low-fat and low-calorie eats?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Teaching Grace, Apr 5, 2011.

1. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Apr 5, 2011

I've been dieting lately and doing well. I definitely have a weakness for sweets. I'm curious about over-all though what are some lower-fat and lower-calorie foods that I can eat more of to really up my 'diet game'?

3. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Apr 5, 2011

SKINNY COW!!!!!!

If you don't want skinny cow treats, try freezing flavored apple sauce. It ends up tasting like Italian Ice.

4. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Apr 5, 2011

I love skinny cow! Diet hot chocolate (skinny cow actually makes some haha, but swiss miss is easier to find) is 25 cals and a great sweet treat. You can also try some of the sweet varieties of the 100 calorie packs. The cookies are actually really good and the individual packaging keeps you from eating more than one serving. Fruit with some whipped cream or some sort of whipped topping is pretty good too.

5. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Apr 6, 2011

I third the Skinny Cow idea. Also, look at the mini candy bars. If you eat just one, it's only about 30 calories. But, make sure that you'll be able to stop at just one. The Warm Delights are pretty good if you want something hot, and they are 150 calories. I usually consider yogurt or cottage cheese with fruit a dessert.

Snacks I keep in the house: baby carrots, apple slices, string cheese, Special K bars. When I think I'm hungry, I always start by eating a baby carrot or two. If the craving goes away, I know I was just bored or emotionally wanting to eat. If I'm still hungry I'll choose a bigger snack.

I also love Get Lost tea. It's good at keeping cravings away because it's sweet and bitter at the same time, and very filling for a tea.

6. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Apr 6, 2011

Yogurt in the freezer s yummy, especially the push up ones.

If I have had enough to eat that day, then I can usually be satisfied with a cup of tea as "dessert." I have SO many flavors to choose from, and with a little milk and stevia, it can usually calm my sweet tooth.

If you like ice cream, the turkey hill brand light recipe are very good!

If I start eating the sweets it becomes a vicious cycle. Then I will want a little something salty. Then a little sweet, then salty. I could go through the whole pantry.

7. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Apr 6, 2011

Fat-free chocolate pudding snacks; they're only 80 calories and taste great!

8. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Apr 6, 2011

Frozen grapes are yummy too. I also like vegetables with hummus. I also put cottage cheese and yogurt or fruit in the blender (I hate the lumps in the cottage cheese) and put it in small containers in the freezer -- it tastes almost like frozen yogurt.

9. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Apr 6, 2011

Here's a trick I've learned! Get a giant container of low-fat yogurt (you need some fat and non-fat doesn't taste as good) and mix in two boxes of the sugar-free, fat-free pudding mix of your choice. Mix this well and store it in the fridge overnight. You then have a yummy treat that fills you quite nicely.

10. yearroundteach

yearroundteach Companion

Apr 6, 2011

Some of the things I keep around for snacking are: slice fruit (apples, strawberries, kiwi, pears, peaches, etc.), Naked drinks (I love Green Machine....looks nasty but is oh so yummy. I only drink about 1/4 to 1/2 at a time because there are too many calories), 100 calorie cottage cheese and fruit doubles, Dannon Greek yogurt with honey, baby carrots, protein cookies (from a health food store), etc.

Some of those have fat in them but none are high in fat. And when I absolutely have to have a treat (chips, chocolate, etc.) I eat the 100 calorie packs of things. They are not filling and can't be a snack in themselves but it beats caving to my craving and going to get a real bag of chips because I'm depriving myself.

11. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Apr 7, 2011

If you have an electric ice cream maker, try this. Put in small carton of yogert. Let it run for about 20 minutes, until it is like soft serve. Yum. Think of the varieties you can make? I have not tried vanilla yogert with some chocolate flavoring, but it sounds good.

12. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Apr 7, 2011

Look for anything high in fiber (I suggest 2 or 3g or more), low in sodium, low cal (less than 200 calories) and low fat (less than 3g of fat). When snacking it's best to eat something that is high in fiber so it keeps you full, longer. Otherwise, you will want to eat again 30 min later.

13. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Apr 7, 2011

I just discovered these Jello Tempations. I got the lemon because it was only 100 calories (the chocolate is 120 I think.) Anyway, mmmmmmm..... it has meringue on top!