Low Carb

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by tiki7719, Jul 21, 2008.

1. tiki7719

tiki7719 Companion

Jul 21, 2008

Anybody hear eat LC?

3. Mrs.Sheila

Mrs.Sheila Cohort

Jul 21, 2008

Yep! I just restarted about a week and a half ago and couldn't feel better!

4. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 21, 2008

We do! It's really helped with my husband's weight loss. Mine too but not as much.

We're eating better and not as near as much processed foods!

5. Mrs.Sheila

Mrs.Sheila Cohort

Jul 21, 2008

Yes! Doesn't it feel good to NOT be eating the processed junk?! Amazing!

6. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 21, 2008

I'm on a protein-restricted diet, so I can't do the low carb diets.

However, I met with a dietician who customized a plan for me. It's based around the food pyramid & serving sizes, with modifications for restricting the protein intake.

It's a great diet . . . when I stick to it. It's not actually hard to do, but DH is one of those "eat whatever & stay skinny" people, so we've always got tons of processed junk foods in the house . . . and I fall off the wagon a lot. :)

7. tiki7719

tiki7719 Companion

Jul 21, 2008

I'm waiting to restart it this week. I'm nervous! I lost 35+ pounds on it before but gained it back when I stopped (I was young and didn't read up on it well). Now, I'm looking to start again.

I need some tips for breakfast. I'm so used to eating cereal and milk. I eat breakfast once I get to school, but, I hate cafeteria food Any suggestions?

8. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

Jul 21, 2008

Samer here. I lost 40 lbs and was surprised that after a while, you really don't crave the carbs anymore. The initial change is tough though. I've gained most of it back, but it took 4 years for it to come back - it was a gradual regain.

9. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Jul 21, 2008

I should eat less carbs, for being diabetic.

10. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jul 21, 2008

My husband and I are going back on this next week (traveling this week.) For breakfast, try hard-boiling a dozen eggs and grabbing one of those. You can pair it with some cottage cheese or yogurt, and even add a piece of Wasa or Ry-Krisp with a little butter.

11. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 21, 2008

What I learned when I went to the nutritionist with my husband is that everything is a trade off. I think he can have 3-4 carbs at each meal, so he can have his bowl of cereal each morning. He just has to watch the serving size & make sure only to eat 1 serving, not a jumbo serving, which can be 2 or more servings!

12. Mrs.Sheila

Mrs.Sheila Cohort

Jul 21, 2008

It depends on what plan your on. I am doing Atkins, and I can't have cottage cheese or yogurt on Induction. I am staying on Induction for about 2 more months before moving up the ladder.

Lately my favorite breakfast has been my 2 cups of coffee with Davinci sugar free Carmel syrup and heavy whipping cream, and 2 hot dog weiniees!

You could make ~ Breakfast muffins with sausage or bacon , eggs, and cheese baked in the oven until done, breakfast meatballs, oh there is so much you can do!!

13. BethMI

BethMI Cohort

Jul 22, 2008

I have done South Beach twice. It worked really well for me. I must do it again b/c I have been a pig as of late!!! Eating whatever, whenever :( Hard part is my husband won't do it, and we have a young son who loves his breads. I hate starting it in the summer, though, b/c you have to get rid of fruit for 2 weeks. :woot: and that is really hard for me. Buuuuuuttttt, I would like to start the year skinnier. Ah, the dilemma.

14. Mrs.Sheila

Mrs.Sheila Cohort

Jul 22, 2008

Start now! It will be one less thing to start when the school year begins! I started two weeks ago (on Atkins) and it couldn't have been a better thing for me to do! :2cents:

15. tiki7719

tiki7719 Companion

Jul 22, 2008

I have the South Beach book under my bed. I might flip through it and see what its about.

16. tiki7719

tiki7719 Companion

Jul 22, 2008

two months on induction? i thought it was two weeks.

do you have a recipe for the bacon/sausage, eggs and cheese breakfast muffins. those sound delicious.

17. Mrs.Sheila

Mrs.Sheila Cohort

Jul 22, 2008

It is two weeks, but... on a support group I am on, many lo carbers have successfully lost doing induction until closer to goal weight. Actually i am pretty happy and satisfied on induction, so I don't feel ready to move up anyway.

Just cook you some bacon or sausage, then crumble it into muffin tins that you have sprayed with Pam or brushed with olive oil. Add to that scrambled egg mixture ( eggs, and a splash of heavy cream) and top with cheese. To this you could add mushrooms, green onions, or any veggies you like! Fill only to about 1/2 full maybe a tad above, as the eggs will expand! Bake at 350 for about 15 minutes or until set!

18. BethMI

BethMI Cohort

Jul 22, 2008

Those egg muffins do sound good!

I know I should start now, it's just SOOOO hard not to eat fresh fruit, and here in MI, it only lasts so long before it gets really expensive.

19. Mrs.Sheila

Mrs.Sheila Cohort

Jul 22, 2008

You have to do what is right for you! Maybe come Fall ( octoberish) will be a good time for you? I am hoping to be close to goal by then! AT least by Christmas!

You know what?! This may be the first year that one of those little boogers ( three year olds) in my class doesn't make a fat comment! :) :woot:

20. BethMI

BethMI Cohort

Jul 26, 2008

Ok, so I started it 4 days ago. I am doing pretty well, but I feel like I am hungry often. I know I was snacking way too much before, and I am not now, so maybe that is the difference, or I am not filled up as much without carbs. How do you feel? What do you do about it? I am starving!

I don't remember feeling this way the other times I have done it, but it's been awhile too.

21. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Jul 26, 2008

Bf and I are going on a weight loss plan Monday. We want to lose 20 pounds by Christmas. I lost 85 pounds in HS by doing low carb and working out a lot. Some of the weight as creeped back on. We'll be doing a low carb, high exercise routine to blast the weight off.

Beth- Snack on a piece of string cheese, nuts, beef jerky. The protein should fill you up.