loving lingo

Discussion in 'Just for Laughs' started by mommaruthie, Jul 17, 2003.

1. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Jul 17, 2003

I am curious if teachers have a loving lingo, affectionate pet names they call their students.

I personally use the popular 'sweetie, honey' or maybe the not so popular, 'baby or puppy'

For example, here puppy give me the open glue, and i will close it for you. :)
    feel free to share your embarrassing or normal pet names!

3. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Jul 17, 2003

I don't think I use those types of names, but I rhyme the kids names sometimes... like Samantha Bamantha.

My first grade teacher gave me the nickname of Amanda Panda. :)

4. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jul 17, 2003

One of my gifted teachers back in 3-6th grade used to call us "rugrats." I was offended back then (the show had just come out), but now I think it's kinda cute...

5. Bookworm

Bookworm Companion

Jul 17, 2003

My favorite is Munchkin. A few of my kids would act annoyed, but I know they loved it. I also call them "hush puppies" when we are lining up.

6. Margo

Margo Devotee

Jul 17, 2003

I call my guys "friends". I picked that up from a preschool teacher that I worked with. I think it helps self esteem.

Amanda, my niece is also called Amanda Panda.

7. AngelaS

AngelaS Cohort

Jul 17, 2003

Usually honey or sweetie, but occasionally baby (that one is usually in an incredulous tone, as in, "Baby, I can't let you have recess all afternoon!!", followed by laughter). I also use pumpkin and sweat pea, I think because my mother called me those things. Incidentally, I use all of the same names for my partner and my dog, too... hmm...

8. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Jul 17, 2003

I tend to put the tites Miss or MR infront of the kids names....i dont know why...its just a habbit I started last year!

9. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Jul 17, 2003

AngelaS,
    You mentioned your dog, and what's funny is, I rhyme my dog's name, too, just like I do my kids at school. :D Barkley Shmarkley.

If I didn't rhyme my kids' names at school, I'd probably call them honey, but whenever I have, they get embarrassed :eek:.

10. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Jul 17, 2003

I usually call the girls 'sweetie', and the boys 'bud' or 'buddy', and I also tend to use Miss or Mr. with their first names.

11. AngelaS

AngelaS Cohort

Jul 17, 2003

Amanda- yeah, they will get embaressed if you don't start it on the first day of school! Then they get used to you! I messed up this year and didn't start out hugging them (new grade level, 'big' kids), but once I saw the other third graders hugging their teachers, I felt bad! I won't make that mistake again!

Barkley Schmarkly! I love it.

12. Shilo

Shilo Rookie

Jul 18, 2003

I say my friend or my little friend, ocassionaly I say "dear" but that's usually my stalling technique so I can count to ten--"Jessie, dear, can you come talk with me about the paint on the wall?" I also use Mr and Miss and their last names, if they are "teaching" or role playing, it helps them learn their last names and the way they are used in society.

13. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jul 20, 2003

I use nicknames for everyone. Usually it is sweetie or babe. I also have a bad habit of shortening kids names (Hilary - Hil, LaKesiha - Keisha). That's not always bad, except sometimes they decide they really like it and the parents don't always like them going by a shortened name. I had a John this year who was just the sweetest most adorable kid ever. I called him John-boy all the time. (I teach 4th, and they still love being called by the nicknames!)
    Christy

14. ellie25

ellie25 Rookie

Jul 28, 2003

Being from the south- I usually call mine sugar- (pronounced sugah ),
    pumpkin, honey, butterbean, etc. Anything that pertains to food seems to be my favorites- I wonder why..., BUT I've found that sugar (or sugah, rather) rolls off the tounge nicely when you can't seem to remember a name.
    The kids in my room have gotten used to it by the end of the first week- there is always some eye-rolling at first, esp. by the older kids- the babies (younger ones) just love it though!

15. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Aug 10, 2003

I usually use 'sweetheart' to all and sundry - but startled my Teaching assistant by calling her sweetheart - we dont have that sort of relationship.LOL

16. 5leafclover

5leafclover Companion

Aug 10, 2003

Well, for me, it would seem kind of silly for me to call the students sugar, sweetheart or honey. It just wouldn't sound right, and it definitely doesn't come natural. So I mainly stick to buddy, chief, or nicknames that I make up for the students. Usually the nicknames come from an event that happened to the student. Like one kid who got hotsauce all over his clothes at lunch one day. He became known as Hotsauce. One kid last year was called PBJ because that's all he would ever eat. One kid wouldn't stop talking about Yugi-Oh! so I would call him that whenever he was talking about it. Like, "Alright Yugi-Oh, back to work."

Using a nickname like that helps take away some of the sting when you are just trying to get a kid back on task.