Love this BIP Addition!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by cutNglue, Nov 16, 2011.

1. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Nov 16, 2011

Not all schools have the right attitude, training or resources to handle special needs. I'm particularly frustrated this year because I get the distinct impression that my son's new school feels like it is about parenting (in spite of the millions of papers about other things) but more importantly I feel they focus on reactive responses/strategies and the problems. I keep telling them I want to see PROACTIVE/PREVENTIVE strategies.

I feel they do listen. They are trying. They added changes we specifically asked for. I just feel like the thinking kind of stops there.

But never fear! I found some great stuff tonight! I was going through my son's old records and new records and looking for gems and patterns. I found something on an old BIP from an alternative school that was PERFECT! It includes a section on Preventive Strategies! The categories are broken down by:
    Environmental Factors
    Physiological Factors
    Emotional Factors
    Situational Factors
    Curriculum & Instruction

I planned to show the team this tomorrow but at the last minute I decided to try my hand at making one. As I was going through all these lengthy reports that were conducted in the process of renewing eligibility, I found TONS of stuff written specifically for the classroom by the Psychiatrist, School Counselor, last year's Classroom Teacher (school next door) and a few from that old BIP I am referring. I was able to write TWENTY-SEVEN GEMS for them to consider and broken down by additional categories.

***Environmental
    Seating, Visual Aids, Attention Getting Strategies
    ***Physiological
    Physical Activity, Nourishment, Breaks
    ***Emotional
    Positive Peer Support, Building Self-Esteem, Therapeutic Interventions and Adult Support
    ***Situational
    Consistent Routines and Advanced Notification
    ***Curriculum & Instruction
    Reducing Complex Info, Task Assistance & Frequent Check-Ins, Support Materials and Note-Taking

I also love the support language in these documents!

So now instead of feeling upset and anxious, I feel ready and I have something positive to contribute. (I also wrote notes and asked another teacher to help me find areas that need a bit tweaking on the BIP Draft).

I know this is such a conflicted post. It has negative and positive stuff. Believe it or not, I do feel better! At least we have a good direction to go in!

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 16, 2011

Sounds good, cut!