Love the Job HATE checking papers!

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by PinkFish, Dec 1, 2008.

1. PinkFish

PinkFish Rookie

Dec 1, 2008

So does anyone have any suggestions for checking papers. I teach second grade math, science, and social studies (44 students in all) and I can NEVER seem to get on top of grading papers. I LOVE teaching but grading papers in making me go insane. I absolutely hate grading papers. I try to get papers checked the day we do them but with 44 students it takes soooo much time that I never seem to finish. Does anyone have any ideas?

3. d_anne5

d_anne5 Rookie

Dec 2, 2008

Girl, I'm right there with ya. I teach 6th English, and I dread it when the time comes to read through and grade 140 essays. UUUGGGHHHH.

Do you try to grade EVERYTHING? I've quickly learned that the recycle bin is my best friend. I grade some but not all of their daily work. If it gets to the point where I'm overloaded, I just think, eh, this won't even put a tiny dent in their grade, and I chunk it.

Do you have a set amount of grades you're supposed to take per week? We have to take two per week, so at the end of the six-week period, we have a minimum of twelve grades. I'd choose a couple of things to grade and chunk the rest.

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Dec 2, 2008

Are there things that the students can check themselves?

5. d_anne5

d_anne5 Rookie

Dec 2, 2008

Oh yeah! Trade and grade is the best! I can't do it that often b/c English is so subjective, but with you teaching math and science, you could probably trade and grade some of those assignments.

6. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Dec 3, 2008

I'm way behind in my grading--- like I have stuff from Halloween I still have to grade :( I don't give grades in this private school, so I can get away with not grading every little thing, but lately I've just been TOO tired or too overwhelmed with needing to do lesson planning that I've had zero time to grade.

Now that my plans have been set for the next few weeks before the holidays start, I'm going to focus on grading. I think you just might have to decide to do certain assignments that are easier grade for you and less time-consuming ones if possible. I started doing simple checklists--- if I see it you get a point, if I don't (or I don't see enough of it) you get half or no credit. That helped me check 67 notebooks in 2 evenings without too much of a problem.

But ya... it's an issue and I stopped freaking out about it after a teacher who's been here for a few years told me that every teacher at the school was very behind in grading things. :)

7. d_anne5

d_anne5 Rookie

Dec 3, 2008

8. Patty4thgrade

Patty4thgrade New Member

Dec 3, 2008

Well it is nice to know that other teachers are having the same problems. I TRY to give my students the chance to redo some assignments and that puts me way behind when it comes to returning papers. I keep promising my self that I'll get better but i always get back into this grading rut.

9. CanukTeacher

CanukTeacher Comrade

Dec 6, 2008

I would think about how much you grade. I take in and read quite a bit of stuff, but I only grade 6 assignments per course per semester (I teach 3 high school classes per semester). So in 5 months, I grade 18 assignments. The research I have been reading on A & E suggests that we should assess (i.e. provide feedback - verbal or written) more and evaluate (put grades on things) less. Damien Cooper and Ken O'Connor have great books on these subjects :)

10. CanukTeacher

CanukTeacher Comrade

Dec 6, 2008

By 18 assignments I meant 18 class sets of assignments

11. wig

wig Devotee

Dec 6, 2008

Be careful with the trade part of it. Some districts do not allow it. But, truthfully, IMO other students should not know what grade someone else is getting. We clear off our desks, I give them a colored pen, and they grade their own. If they also write the correct answer down with the colored pen, I will give them extra points.

However, it has been ages since I taught second grade so I am not sure how well they would do with any kind of grading.

Not everything needs to be graded. I earmark certain assignments to be graded. The others are for completion onlyI give them a 0 (not done at all), 1(started), 2 (half done), 3 (almost done), 4 (completed). For second graders 0-2 may be sufficient. I add the points together at midterm and the end of the quarter, so they have 2 homework grades in addition to their assessments and other assignments.

12. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Dec 6, 2008

Pinkfish,
    I used to teach departmentalized 3rd grade for several years, and I was in exactly the same situation -- I taught 45-50 students, and taught math, science, and social studies. Now, you are going to think I'm crazy, but here is what I did, and it really helps:

-in class things (simple assignments) I had the kids grade their own. I had them put all pencils away and handed out special red pens. We went over things as we graded. At the bottom of each page,I said, "Okay, check your neighbor!" Each student would glance over to their neighbors and make sure they had a check for correct answers and an X for incorrect ones. (Everyone loves to tattle, so it was easy. They each had a pre-assigned "neighbor" to check.) It was quick and easy. If I ever had concerns that someone wasn't checking their own paper fairly, I would walk over and pick theirs up and do it myself, or check it privately later. Honestly, they were very honest about it. Students learn a lot by grading their own papers and actually seeing their own mistakes.

--no matter what, and this is so hard to do at first, I checked all tests, quizzes, projects, and assignments within 24 hours. No exceptions!!! I made it fun. Since we took lots of tests on Friday, I'd go to Panera's early on Saturday morning, order a nice breakfast, and sit there and grade everything, and still be home nice and early. I really enjoyed it.

I no longer teach departmentalized, but I've kept the habit of grading everything within 24 hours. Once it gets to be a habit, it really makes your life easier. You never have huge piles of things that need grading.

Hope it helps!