Love my job but Burned out! Need motivation!

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by anewstart101, Apr 1, 2011.

1. anewstart101

anewstart101 Cohort

Apr 1, 2011

This is my first year in this position -- I love the students -- every things about it --------

The commute is depressing ---- with jobs in teaching hard to come by ----

I can't quit ---- the commute is too much I am exhausted ---- day in and day out ----

It is me and my kid.

I am okay once I get to work -----------

but am dead tired driving home in traffic -----

being a parent of a child with a severe disability -- the drive just makes me sad ---- :blush::(:confused: and I have so much to do when I get home

I am not interested in moving to the area ----- due to services for my child --

How do I get motivated -- to keep doing this --

the thought of another year driving is devastating -- I do it for my son -- but it makes me cry --- I am gaining weight --- and need to make a change for that --

I think I am PMSing.

Thanks in advance for motivation

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Apr 2, 2011

But some motivational or calming music for the car.

Maybe try having your students submit things on tape or CD so that you can listen to them in the car.

Is there a closer area that would still provide services for your son?

Is there a train or bus that you could take?

4. CanukTeach

CanukTeach Companion

Apr 2, 2011

Hi A New Start,

First of all, I totally understand! My first year teaching I was driving an hour (and I enjoy driving and I didn't have a child) and I was just tired all the time. At least once a week I would fall asleep the moment I got home. Sometimes I still do that 7 years later.

For what it is worth, here are a few ideas:

- I realize it is super hard to do, but try to build exercise into your schedule. When I come home all I want to do often is lie on the couch but I realize I need to exercise. I am running a 1/2 marathon (well maybe I'll be walking part of it...) in May so I have a schedule and I HAVE to go out and do what is on the schedule each evening. Most of the time it is under 1/2 an hour. Once a week it is an hour. Once a week is a rest day. Once a week it is an hour and a half. I have way more energy and am less distraught about things. So try to find something you can do. It could be a walk with your child. Or you could get someone to babysit for 1/2 an hour while you go out to do something else. I am so aware of how hard it is to do but it is sooo worth it.
    - What do you enjoy doing? Can you encorporate this in the car? Do you enjoy books or music? Could you download some of them? I also see the idea of listening to student work on the way home a good one. If you bought a blue tooth recorder you could provide student feedback to them as well.
    - Is there anything you can cut out or cut down on to decrease your out of school work load? Could you make all lunches/dinners on Sunday so you don't have to cook all week? Could you lay out your clothes for the week on the weekend?
    - Can you find any down time for yourself during the week? Even if it is just 1/2 an hour that is yours it really might help?

Good luck! It does get easier.

5. etcetera

etcetera Rookie

Apr 2, 2011

Wow-you are doing a lot for a first year of teaching-a commute, a child of your own with special needs, plus the regular demands of school. From what you say-the commute is the main issue.
    A couple of ideas:
    1. How late are you staying after school? If you are leaving right when you can "legally" leave then never mind, but if not-maybe leaving earlier would help you miss some traffic. You'll still have loads to do at home, but you would get to it earlier.
    2. I used to commute for an hour-I actually really enjoyed the commute itself-I turned it into my only "me" time. Listened to my favorite music, listened to books on tape, etc. It was a good buffer between home and school for me.