Love in Kindergarten...is this the norm?

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by thompsonk, Feb 17, 2008.

1. thompsonk

thompsonk Rookie

Feb 17, 2008

My son is 5, found this in his bedroom. Claire is a little girl in his class. Always finding little notes in his backpack from her. Should I talk to him about this or just ignore it? Don't want him to focus too much on gf/bf stuff and be distracted at school...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. rogue0208

rogue0208 Companion

Feb 17, 2008

I must say, I'm pretty impressed with your son's creativity and spelling!!

You might want to have a casual conversation about this little Claire, ask him about her and how they play. As long as they aren't playing inappropriately, it's probably not a problem. I have a little girl and boy in my class who are "in love" and it's adorable, but we are trying not to encourage it because the little girl's mother was a teen mom and had her when she was 15. :(

Good luck!

4. MsMongoose

MsMongoose Companion

Feb 17, 2008

As long as both of them are doing this for "internal" reasons--, I think it is sweet--and I agree that he is very creative in his writing! Haven't poets always been inspired by their Lady Love?

There are plenty of bad/unpleasant things out there--we need love and friendship and nature to balance them out. I hope he remembers this as a "sweet time" when he's older.

5. little317

little317 Groupie

Feb 17, 2008

Its becoming the norm these days. Last year I had two kids that would write about each other during journal time. One wrote about a boy being cute. I had a quick talk with the kids about how its great to be friends, but that they needed to write about other things that were more "on topic" so to speak.

6. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Feb 17, 2008

My niece (now 17) was married and divorced in day care. Some start VERY early. Actually his writing and verses are pretty good! :)

7. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Feb 17, 2008

Sounds like a song. I wonder if they were doing a writing project in class. ;) You never know. I'd start by complementing his poem/song. Ask him how he came up with the wonderful verses.

8. moonbeamsinajar

moonbeamsinajar Habitué

Feb 18, 2008

Some of my four year olds are into having boyfriends this year. I have seen them holding hands, which I discourage, and I have even found them kissing, which I really discourage!

9. purplecrazy21

purplecrazy21 Comrade

Feb 18, 2008

I used to think the whole boyfriend, girlfriend thing in kindergarten was cute. That was when the kids just talked about being boyfriend and girlfriend or married though and didn't know all the specifics.
    Now though, it worries me the extent that the kids know about this stuff. I have kindergarteners in my class saying that one little girl is "hot" and sadly, I know they know what that means. I have also caught one of the boys trying to show others their private parts, and several of my boys had this girl cornered one day and they were trying to kiss her.
    I discourage all of the love stuff in my class because of this. I tell my kids that they're five and we don't need to worry about any of that yet. I wish I didn't have to, but I don't see what choice I have.

10. kburen

kburen Cohort

Feb 19, 2008

It worries me when it starts this early, but that's just me. I have no kids of my own and I'm told that makes a difference. I know someone who has a 6 year old and took her and a boy in her class "who likes her and she likes him" out for the girls birthday. I completely disagree with that....Sure, have a party and invite the whole class, or boys and girls...but to already be encouraging "dating" at 6 years old is too much for me!

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 19, 2008

Is the note your son's handwriting? It seems too contrived to me- the true love (true love) thing looks like real song lyrics..?:confused:

12. ESL

ESL Rookie

Feb 22, 2008

I'm not crazy about this type of behaviour either. Naturally, with specific reference to the kids cornering the little girl, and the boy trying to show off his privates. It also disconcerts me that 6 year-olds are referring to one another as 'hot'. That's terrible and a very poor sign of our times.

At the same time, kids are curious, and will explore. And we should try not to make them feel ashamed about their feelings and/or bodies. And dating at 6 is obviously very premature, even if it is perfectly innocent.

13. KinderMissN

KinderMissN Companion

Feb 28, 2008

My kids tease eachother about it almost daily. I remind them that they're too young to worry about boyfriends and girlfriends, and they have the rest of their life to worry about it. Then I remind them that boys and girls can be friends. I had a girl earlier in the year who thought the best compliment was to call someone "sexy"... I heard it all the time in my dramatic play area. I can take one quick guess what kind of language she heard at home.

14. purplecrazy21

purplecrazy21 Comrade

Feb 28, 2008

"Sexy" is another word I hear in my classroom routinely. It makes me so sad to hear five and six year olds talking that way.
    The other language they routinely use, and the actions they demonstrate also tell me what they do at home.
    I had to physically remove a little boy today(by taking him by the hand) away from two other students that I think he was trying to force to kiss. He was pushing their heads together.

15. Teacher2Be123

Teacher2Be123 Companion

Feb 29, 2008

Forgive me for this but...I'm assuming you posted the note and for some reason my computer isn't showing it. What did it say? (Then I'll leave a real response lol!)