Loud lining up

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by LovetoteachPREK, Oct 17, 2011.

1. LovetoteachPREK

LovetoteachPREK Companion

Oct 17, 2011

Hi everyone,

Need some input here...in a perfect world, my 20 preschoolers wouldn't need to line up quietly and walk quietly down the hall several times a day. Unfortunately, we are in an elementary school and have a little distance to walk for outside, specials, lunch, etc. I have cut down on transitions as much as possible BUT...

One of my sections this year is so LOUD! They can't even hear me give directions. None of my tricks are working. I've tried preteaching and practicing, singing a song, using cute ideas like bubble gum mouths and marshmellow toes, but I am running out and the ideas only work a couple times each. For awhile I could do "If you're ready to go outside, clap your hands (if you're happy and you know it,)" but it has worn out its welcome! Some of them will even leave the line and start running around the room while I'm trying to get others in line. I have some very "challenging" personalities - but we've got to get a handle on this.

So...any other ideas? I'm feeling exhausted and dejected here because it's too early in the year for nothing to be working!

3. raynepoe

raynepoe Companion

Oct 17, 2011

I am with you! My HS class this year is off the wall and lining up is a mess for us and we too are in the school, what is working for us right now, is those cute little fingerplays... We are doing a new one each week so it doesn't wear out its welcome we are having some positive results.

This weeks is :

Pumpkin Pumpkin (make a fist)
    Big and round (roll hands)
    Here is his smile (trace lips)
    But he doesn't make a sound! (whisper with finger on lips)

I have also bought a 4 pack of signs from the Dollar Tree one says QUIET and looks like a stop sign, one has a hand and says raise your hand, one is feet and says quietly line up, and the last one is ....I forgot

I am wondering if the signs will help and we are "practicing" using them ... so far so good.... but we will see!

4. Audria007

Audria007 Rookie

Oct 27, 2011

That has got to be hard for you and your kids especially with how young they are. Have you tried holding a rope? I remember my second grade teacher used to do something with us where every time we were quiet in the hallway we got a marble in a jar, if we were loud she took a marble out, when the jar was full we got a special treat or a party, sometimes we got to watch a movie. The only problem with that was if one person messed up the rest of us were "punished" but for the most part it worked....

5. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Oct 27, 2011

How old are your little ones? I have 4s and we are in an elementary school too so I deal with the same issues. I have found that a discussion at the beginning of the year of WHY we have to be quiet in the hallways is extremely helpful. I tell them that when we are in the halls, the big kids around us are still working and they need to hear their teachers and their friends. Then when we are in the hallways and someone starts making noise I remind them in a quiet voice, "Shh, the big kids are still working."

I think it also helps that I don't talk in the hallways. I have found that teachers who model being silent have quieter classes than teachers that stop to chat with other teachers.

One more thing- when the big kids come into school in the morning, they are LOUD and obnoxious as anything- I use that opportunity to close the door and make a big deal about how sad it is that they are being loud and not respecting that we are trying to learn. Then I use that as a reminder later so they get an understanding that kids being loud in the hallway really DOES make it hard to hear in the classroom.

6. WhoDatTeacher

WhoDatTeacher Rookie

Oct 30, 2011

For my students I have always tried to make a game out of being quiet in the hallway. Such as having them walk through the hallway like spies so no one can see or hear them. You could also maybe explain to them why it is important to walk quietly in the hall: not disturb others, in case of emergency, etc.

7. abcme

abcme Rookie

Nov 3, 2011

Sometimes you have to beat them at their own game. If there going to talk anyway, why not give them something to say? For example, could you do a treasure hunt on your walk? For instance, search for anything square shaped on the way to your destination. They might get so busy looking they will forget to talk!

8. dogs&teaching

dogs&teaching Comrade

Nov 3, 2011

One of my 4/5 classes (I had most of the students last year.) all of a sudden become like that. They became very chatty(not quiet in the least bit) and started running a lot. One day they were just completely out of control and a coworker of mine came into the hall to ask me about getting lunch. I asked her if my class was being too loud. (After this she told me that she couldn't hear them at all.) She caught on and told my students that they were so loud her students weren't able to do their work and she was disappointed considering they were normally quiet. They have yet to act up in the hall again.

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 3, 2011

I have no idea here; this is well out of my frame of reference.

But each time they were too noisy, could you turn them around and go back to the classroom, and start over?

I bet you would have one or two rough days, but that things woudl improve after that.

And even if you blew one whole recess on walking to and from your classroom, the kids would be doing all that walking, so they would be getting a bit of exercise at least.

10. SamIAm

SamIAm Companion

Nov 3, 2011

This is what we used to do when I taught elementary, and it worked really well. I'm not sure it if it would be as effective with preschoolers, but it's definitely worth a try.

11. Picasso

Picasso Rookie

Nov 4, 2011

good ideas was shared here

How about writing a social story explaining what are the expectations/rules during lining up and walking. show them what the rules look like by modeling/role play until they understand the difference. teach that during circle time, give a lot of reinforcement at the beginning until they become better then move to an intermittent reinforcement.

Do not expect that to change over night, it will take some time (few weeks) until they get it.

12. zoey'smom

zoey'smom Cohort

Nov 6, 2011

Have you tried "Happy Chappy"?
    I had the same problem earlier this year, when I started 4 new three year olds. I remember something I learned at a Dr. Jean workshop. I bought a small tube of chap stick. You can get any flavor. I then tell the kids that if they are quiet in the hall they get a Happy Chappy. Then I show them by rubbing a little chapstick on top of my hand and let everyone smell it. They think it is great and they want their hand to spell good too. The first couple times I try to make sure that everyone gets a Happy Chappy sometime during the day. Now they only get it when your quiet in the hall and stay in line. It has worked for the most part.

We also use the Magic finger. I remind them we need to be quiet and tell them to put their magic finger on their mouthes.

Here is the song we sing before we go in the hall:

Magic Finger in the air,
    Magic finger in my hair,
    Magic finger on my hips,
    Magic finger on my lips,
    Now we're quiet as can be
    for we are walking in the hall you see.

We also don't move until everyone is quiet and we stop the line if we are talking and I remind them to put their fingers on their mouth.