Lottery

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Mathemagician, Jul 23, 2012.

1. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Jul 23, 2012

Hell nah! :lol:

I'd quit in a heartbeat. Then I'd do a whole bunch of real cool stuff. Once I was jaded by traveling so much (it happened to me last time I was in Spain for 3 months, by the end I was just ready to be home) I'd come back and get some really part time job. I'm talking a few hours a day just a couple days a week. The rest of the time I'd garden, walk my dog, take naps and drink wine. I would also consider moving to another country. I've always wanted to learn Italian... And Italy has some great wine! Yeah, that sounds like heaven!:)

2. GAteacher87

GAteacher87 Companion

Jul 23, 2012

I truly would keep teaching.

I would do a lot with the money, but I would keep teaching. :)

3. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jul 23, 2012

If I won the lotto, I would still want to teach and live my life as I do right now, but I would do the following:
    - give a large part of the money away, to people / organizations that need it
    - hire a chef, bartender, personal trainer, interior designer, hairstylist, make up artist, etc. to have around 24/7, so that I can just point to pictures on Pinterest and say: make that for dinner! I want that drink! Make them look like that, too!
    Haha - just kidding, but this is a fantasy I have sometimes, lol.

4. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Jul 23, 2012

I would want to, but I'd probably give my job to someone who needs it and volunteer as a tutor.

5. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Jul 24, 2012

Oh, I'd have to teach part time. Or do SOMETHING part time. I don't like the idea of income not coming in at all....that my whole savings is slowly dwindling away day by day. Even with millions of dollars, that would make me nervous. :unsure: I also just like my job. :) NOT full time though. I'd go back to school to be a student if I won the lottery.

6. alioxenfree

alioxenfree Rookie

Jul 24, 2012

Buh-bye!

If it was less than $10 million, I'd invest it, travel, and keep working. A. 10 million or so, I'd be gone like lightning! I'd volunteer somewhere, travel a lot, and manage my portfolio! The jackpot would really have to be 50 million because I play with four members of my family. We plan to (because we think we're going to win!) start a foundation and a scholarship fund.

My real estate agent had a client who was a teacher and won $200 or 300 million in the lottery :woot:. She planned to keep teaching but she found that she couldn't concentrate on her job because the money and what she could do with it kept creeping into her thoughts. She ended up quitting. She and her husband got a financial planner to help them out. They paid off their kids' loans, bought themselves and their kids homes, and they travel everywhere. They are living large!

I would love to follow in her footsteps!

7. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Jul 24, 2012

Mid school year I think I would keep teaching. Mid summer I think I would not go back. I guess I am in the moment!

8. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 24, 2012

I would want to continue teaching but with a full time housekeeper and fabulous trips on breaks.

I've already been approached about paying rent or car payments for the parents of my students. Only twice, but that is enough to be flabbergasted.

The car payment parent had a newer car and bigger vehicle than I had and always had a new high end purse, though it is possible they were good knock-offs. I don't know how she thought it was my job to pay her car payment when she didn't work.

So I would want to work, but I'm sure more hand-out folks would come out of the woodwork.

9. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Jul 24, 2012

I would not quit mid year, but I would quit at the end of the year. I love teaching, but if I won the lottery, I would quit to pursue other dreams of mine: being a consultant, opening up an animal rescue with my sister, volunteering with the elderly or with a group home such as the one my sister in law lives at, or running a farm.
    I would like to travel to the places I would love to see: the British Isles, Italy, and the western US. Hmmm, maybe rent an RV and drive cross country?
    First and foremost though, I would share my wealth with my family members and closest friends.

10. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 24, 2012

I think it would be hard to continue to work, especially people knew that you won (and who wouldn't know!) because they might always be asking you for money. I would definitely hire a financial planner though! No way could I manage all that money myself!

11. traveler

traveler Comrade

Jul 24, 2012

I think I would continue teaching in some way. I'm not sure if it would be in the same district/state or country. I feel like I would go work overseas cowing I would be able to provide for myself and help others. But, once I got the money in my hands... who knows for sure. I think it had the power to really change people.

12. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Jul 25, 2012

Not right now! Maybe at some point, but right now I'd stay home with my little girl. I'd travel a ton too.

13. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jul 25, 2012

I would probably continue teaching until I had children of my own.

14. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jul 25, 2012

Yes! Like Alice said, my summers would simply be much more interesting. I'd also probably live in a nicer apartment and eat out a little bit more. I would probably also take my car to a professional place and have it fixed and detailed so it doesn't make dying sounds anymore.

I might also buy a digital piano and finally buy a gym membership instead of just paying each time I go. =] And I'd put enough away to pursue an advanced degree or two at a nice University.

Then again, I haven't really even taught my first year yet, so I'd have to get back to you after 2 or 3 years or so.

15. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Jul 25, 2012

I would teach until I had kids. Then maybe I would stay home for a few years before going back to teaching. I'm not sure if I would really enjoy being a stay at home mom and I really love teaching. I might switch to part time if possible, meaning that I teach only 4 classes instead of five.

Also, it depends on the amount of money won, because first we would use the money to pay off my fiance's med school loans. Then we would probably buy a nice house, but save the rest for the future when we have kids.