Lottery

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Mathemagician, Jul 23, 2012.

1. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Jul 23, 2012

If you hit the jackpot tomorrow, would you keep teaching?

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 23, 2012

Yes

But my summers would see a whole lot more travel!!!

But we would still be home during the school year-- my 3 kids would still have to attend school. So I would see no need to stop doing what I love.

4. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 23, 2012

No. No, no, no.

I enjoy teaching, but life is too short as is...so I would take the opportunity to experience other things I enjoy and discover things I didn't even know I enjoy.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 23, 2012

At first I would....and then I'd see what develops.:whistle:

6. Curiouscat

Curiouscat Comrade

Jul 23, 2012

I would quit. I would love to adopt a class though and spoil them a bit. For example, I might pay for an extra field trip and buy them books for their classroom library. It would be fun to buy each child several books and leave them on their desks as a surprise from Cupid:)

7. greendream

greendream Cohort

Jul 23, 2012

I'm interested to see how many people would quit and how many people are liars.

Kidding of course. ;)

8. platypusok

platypusok Companion

Jul 23, 2012

I would keep teaching because what else would I do all day. I was out of work for a year after school and the first couple of months was okay but I was bored out of my mind.

But like the PP, my summer would be full of travel.

9. jwteacher

jwteacher Cohort

Jul 23, 2012

Yes. I would work just as hard, if not harder, knowing I have the luxuries to destress me.

10. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Jul 23, 2012

NOPE...Too much disrespect.
    When I missed teaching, I would love to volunteer as a secretary for the teachers...copy, cut out, type, display, organize, etc.

It sure would be fun to win a lottery that could only be spent on my classroom. :cool:

11. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 23, 2012

I honestly probably would, at least at first. I love what I do and I honestly don't know that I would make the best full-time sahm. But like czacza, I would see what develops :)

12. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 23, 2012

I would take at least a year off. I'd probably volunteer, but I'm not sure if I would teach full time.

13. Ted

Ted Habitué

Jul 23, 2012

For me, it depends.

If it was mid-year, I would not quit. I feel I have a responsibility to get my fourth-graders to fifth grade. I couldn't, in good conscience, leave them halfway through.

If it was RIGHT before school started, I probably would still not quit. That would leave the district in a lurch. Not cool.

That being said, if/when I did quit, I would definitely "adopt" my school and beef up their computer lab... pay for some pretty awesome assemblies, etc. That would be a blast! :)

14. perplexed

perplexed Comrade

Jul 23, 2012

I wouldn't quit mid-year, but then after, I'd look for a part time teaching job or I would just sub 2-3 times a week.

15. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jul 23, 2012

No, I wouldn't continue working.

Someone else can have the opportunity to support their family.

16. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 23, 2012

;)

Since I'm one of the 2 who said yes before you posted, I'll respond:

Read my posts about how much I honestly enjoy my job. (You can do it by clicking on my name-- a link will come up letting you read my previous posts)

No lying here, and no need to lie, ever, to strangers online.

17. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Jul 23, 2012

It would depend on the amount and how public everything was. I would want to continue working, especially in the computer lab, but I would also worry about becoming a target for frivolous lawsuits.

18. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jul 23, 2012

I think I'd like to start a private preschool and kindergarten.

19. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jul 23, 2012

I enjoy my job. A lot. A lot-a lot.
    I can't imagine not being a teacher.
    I really do think I would continue teaching.

20. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jul 23, 2012

I would probably quit for a few years to spend time with my kiddos before they reach school-age. But then, I would be right back in the classroom.

21. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 23, 2012

I would keep working--I love what I do. Getting the call that our lotto group at school hit the jackpot would certainly make paying for my kids' post-secondary education easier (and make my son's wish of doing his Master's in Europe a reality).

22. Jeky

Jeky Comrade

Jul 23, 2012

I would finish out the school year and then probably quit......but I like the idea of "adopting" a classroom; that sounds fantastic!!

23. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jul 23, 2012

I would probably keep teaching, because I don't know what else I would do!! It would be nice to have that financial backing, though, and know I could quit at anytime. I would probably go to part time.

24. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Jul 23, 2012

I don't know. I might go in knowing that I have nothing to lose. Knowing that you are in complete control of your financial future like that. The idea of being able to have a job that if there became too many problems you could say here is my 2 weeks and know that you would be perfectly fine to pay all the bills if you walked away. That would be a huge stress reliever right there. The idea of working because you want something to do and enjoy the people you work with, not because you have to. That is the apart of the ultimate goal.

25. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 23, 2012

There are many sad stories of lottery winners who blew it all, made bad decisions...no one ever thinks they'd be as stupid if such fortune came to them...
    Truthfully, I'd like to think I'd first get a good financial advisor..then I'd help out my family...pay off kids college loans etc, do something nice for my parents, but I TRUTHFULLY wouldn't make big decisions immediately after hitting the jackpot. As I said in my earlier post, I'd keep my job and then see what unfolds...

26. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jul 23, 2012

I would at first. I'd definitely finish out the semester. I wouldn't want anyone to know that I'd won it, so I'd try to keep it business as usual. I think knowing I had all that money in the bank would make putting up with the irritating stuff a bit easier too ;)

But I wouldn't work till retirement. I'd come up with some scheme, a "front" business as such, and then leave.

27. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Jul 23, 2012

Same with me. I love working in education, so if I wasn't directly teaching I would definitely still do something related to it.

28. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Jul 23, 2012

Those who win large amounts and don't use a financial advisor never really had a plan. It's sad really, they could have set themselves up for life. This also reminds me that I need to call mine this week, have not talked to her in a while and need to make some changes.

29. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jul 23, 2012

That wouldn't be allowed here :(

We've had some graduates make it pretty big in business after they left. The majority of them went to two of the eight high schools that we have. They tried to donate money to their schools and the district wouldn't allow the schools to accept. District said that the money had to go to the district and be spread around to all of the schools. One wanted to beef up the computer lab and the district said no, do it for all the schools or none. Which is a crock since some of our schools have nothing but super rich students with parents that donate thousands at different fundraising events. One school raised over $30,000 at its Fall Festival. It only has 250 students at the school.

30. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Jul 23, 2012

Well thats how he could have gotten around it. He may not be able to donate, but he could spend the money at something like a fall festival. I know at our carnivals, anyone is invited. And the money made at those stay there for the PTO to use.

31. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 23, 2012

I'd like to say that I would continue to teach but the reality is that I probably wouldn't. Sure, if it happened in the middle of the year I would finish it out or if it happened right before school started. Like Alice said though, my summers would be full of travel. My daughter would continue to go to school. I would be able to help out a lot more at her school so I could stay around education.

32. Ted

Ted Habitué

Jul 23, 2012

Good point, Bob.

I'd attend our school's Walkathon and sponsor each student. Or buy each student a Sno-cone and insist on paying $10 per Sno-cone.

There are creative ways to do things. ;)

33. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jul 23, 2012

yes, he could have told his coach, team, fans, etc. to just plan a game around him so he could fly back to his hometown and attend a Fall Festival. Keeping in mind that high schools don't have big fundraisers like that - instead it is a bunch of little fundraisers that go to clubs.

Or the other guy could have bought flown in to buy a thousand boxes of donuts the day the computer club was selling them at the grocery store.

Would you have done any of those things? That really is a silly suggestion. To inconvenience someone that wants to donate an extremely large amount of money to the school. To the SCHOOL for specific purposes. Not to a PTO who gets to decide where the money goes.

34. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Jul 23, 2012

Excuse me for trying to be creative. Sorry, I'm not the one who makes the rules, I'm the one who try's to find ways around them. Lets just stick with the fact that the school district doesn't allow it and that sucks.

35. MrsHoot

MrsHoot Comrade

Jul 23, 2012

I think part time ( maybe) and I would pay someone to do all of my testing and data entry! :D and maybe to go to meetings and some parent conferences...

36. MsG

MsG Companion

Jul 23, 2012

I would keep teaching, but take the opportunity to travel to exotic places during the summer and breaks. I love teaching and I love my off time. I've been off for 7 weeks and am itching to get back. I would be bored out of my mind not working.

37. lovebeingteach

lovebeingteach Companion

Jul 23, 2012

YES! I would open up a childcare center that was free to working parents. I have a feeling I would have a HUGE waiting list. :lol:

38. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jul 23, 2012

I'd definitely keep teaching.

I'd pay off my siblings' homes, my parents' home, and my own, too.

39. smalltowngal

Jul 23, 2012

Yes! I'd say my daughter would get more of a history education during the breaks than she would in school!

40. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 23, 2012

I would not keep teaching. I've always wanted to open up a farm that worked with both off the track thoroughbreds and kids in a juvenile detention center so I'd probably do that. I'd also travel, travel, travel!

41. smalltowngal

Jul 23, 2012

That would be awesome!