Lots of twists, but hopefully seeing the light at the end of the road

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by BioAngel, May 5, 2010.

1. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

May 5, 2010

To review...
    I found out in February I was not going to return to my school--- I was told it was because of low enrollment, but my Supervisor hinted at other stuff. I think she's crazy and over criticizes my work. Everybody else has been really positive about my lessons. (Not perfect, but not horrible)

I joined the private school company I was with again, got my resume in order, posted it around online, and put a new portfolio together (with newer stuff than just out of college and more geared towards younger and middle school students). I applied again and again and again and got turned down a few times. Some never even emailed me a thank you for the application or anything. I was very stressed because I need a job to keep this apartment and pay the bills (like we all do I know).

It's now May and I feel even more like its NOW or never (at least until next school year begins to wind down). I won't take a sub position, which means I had to turn down one job already. After I've had my own classroom for 2 years, I don't want a place I'd have to share or just have for a few months... I want my own area.

So this is where I am right now:
    -- I have really high hopes for a science (3rd to 6th grade) position in a Catholic school. It has its own room and I would enjoy working in a faith-based school. I seem to be well liked, so hopefully that'll help. (I have already done a face-to-face interview with the principal and was shown around the school already) I'm doing a demo lesson, observing a younger grade (since I don't have experience in teaching kids that young), sitting in on meetings, and meeting other faculty in a few weeks. I think all of that looks really good for me. But I only have 2 years teaching experience with 5th graders and no Masters--- I have a lot of positives, but I'm wondering how much those 2 things will do to damage my hopes. They also just started the hiring process, I was the first interviewed so I'm going to have to wait awhile before I hear anything and I'm horrible with patience for stuff like this.

-- Second school is one where I'd be doing a good amount of traveling into a major city. It's at a very old and prestigious school, doing basically what I'm doing now: 5th and maybe 6th grade science. Sounds very much like the school I teach in now. I have an actual school interview there on Friday (I already have had a phone interview).

I'd take the Catholic school in a heart-beat if I had my choice. Then again I'd take either if they're offered to me, its a teaching position, more experience for me. I feel like I HAVE to have 3 years of teaching experience and a Masters to be on firm ground-- but I have neither and it just panics me.

I am telling schools that I was planning on starting my masters this summer (which I was) but once I found out I wouldn't have a position for next year I had to reconsider due to financial reasons. As soon as I can sign a contract, I'm signing up to do an online program.

This is sooo much more work than I did last time for a job--- I really feel for all of those who have to go through this process of getting a teaching job. I'll keep you all updated as I find out what's going on. (Hopefully all good news! :thumb:)

3. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

May 5, 2010

Good luck friend. Just remember the fact that you are getting interviews is huge at this time of year. Most schools are finishing up testing, reassigning current staff members and are just about to start looking at staffing outside of the school district in a few weeks. You are well ahead of the curve! You will find something! I am confident in your positive attitude and think of those negatives that you keep mentioning as POSITIVES. In this budget conscious world you are a gem. You already have two years of experience and the desire to get your masters! Somebody will snap you up!

4. texjess2010

texjess2010 Companion

May 5, 2010

this sounds like its going great for you and YAYYYY!! on the interviews!! best of luck!

5. BioAngel

May 18, 2010

I'm happy to announce today that I have been told that I will be receiving a contract some time this week. It is at an independent Catholic school, which if I could sum up in one word would be "home" and I don't feel I'm being emotional but using what I've learned over the past two years to make this decision.

From the moment I met the principal, I felt very welcomed--- today I spent the whole day at the school and while my brain literally hurts from all the in-take, pressure, and talking, I still feel like this is the place for me. I felt so welcomed by the faculty who seem to genuinely be very sweet and warm. There didn't seem to be any cliques amongst the faculty--- everybody knows everybody. Since I'm also Catholic, that is a huge plus for me-- where we'll have Mass once a week together and when walking into the old convent house that is now offices and has a chapel in it, it all smelled of incense. It's a very powerful smell for me-- my first incidents with God were in places of where incense was burned so it drew me in.

At the end of the day I told the principal I really wanted the position and she said she'd speak to a few more teachers about today and then speak to the business office... aka I got it!

The new position will be a challenge but I'm ready for it: it's teaching 4 grades with 2 sections each of science. So I'll be busy putting together a brand new classroom management plan for this new situation. So I do have a few days to wait before signing a contract but I'm the only candidate for the position--- the principal felt I was THE person for the position and didn't bother to publicly announce it.

Oh I feel like I'm floating on clouds.... :)

6. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

May 18, 2010

:hugs::celebrate:

7. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 18, 2010

Congrats, BioAngel!!!! Was this the first school you were talking about in your first post?

8. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

May 18, 2010

That's soooooo awesome. Is it too soon to put your job on the jobs list???

9. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

May 18, 2010

Congratulations! That's great!

10. newbie23

newbie23 Comrade

May 18, 2010

Congratulations! You'll do a wonderful job and what a confidence booster to know you were, THE person for the job.

11. cityfrog6

cityfrog6 Comrade

May 18, 2010

Fabulous!!!!! Congrats!

12. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

May 18, 2010

Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful news!!! I had had a feeling your hunt was going to be a successful one, I'm so glad that it already has been this early in the hiring season.

13. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 18, 2010

YAY!!! Congrats!!

And I LOVE teaching in a Catholic school!!!

14. BioAngel

May 19, 2010

Yes this was the Catholic school I was talking about in my first post. Apparently, and this serious almost brought me to tears--- I mean any GOOD feedback I get as a new teacher is so helpful to me---, the principal said that she didn't even post the position on the school site or in a newspaper because she had the feeling I was the one for the position. She wanted to wait until she saw how yesterday went for me and apparently I had gotten many compliments from the teachers that I met with. What's great is that all of the comments I made were truthful and I didn't have to exaggerate anything, so I already know they love me for ME!

It was so painful to hear that I was being let go from this school--- these years really made me have a different pov of myself as an educator. I really was doubting I could do this, but I know with a few more years I'll be on solid ground as a teacher. I have done SOOO much more this year and have really shined.

One of the things I'm going to try to do-- maybe not this year because it'll be enough for me as is-- is get in touch with science teachers from the other schools that are run by the same group of nuns (its part of the group called School of the Holy Child). It was suggested to me that this is what the principal would like to see happening and I think its a great idea.

I know they're also looking to get their curriculum aligned with standards--- trust me I'm already on top of that. I have the National Science Education Standards book and I'm going to go through the whole curriculum I'll be covering and see if everything is good to go.

Months ago I started thinking about Catholic schools, but I stopped when I decided I'd just stick it out at this school for at least another year. I'm so happy (honestly as upset as I have been in the past few months) for this change.

So thank you fellow teachers--- Aliceacc, MsMar, leighbball, smalltowngal especially--- for all the advice and insight and the nudges to do better and how to get through everything :D (Not just with this thread but all the threads that I read and post in)

OH and YES add to me to the jobs list leighball! Grades 3 to 6 Science Teacher :celebrate:

Now... how to tell my students... :unsure:

15. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

May 19, 2010

It sounds like an amazing opportunity for you, BioAngel. I'm so excited to you! You are officially added to the jobs list:)

As for telling your kids, I don't have much advice, but I know how hard it is. I'm being transferred to another elem school in my district and don't know how to tell my students...I've been here for 6 years. So hugs on that one...hopefully someone will have advice we can both use!

16. BioAngel

May 19, 2010

I just wanted to add a piece to the story of yesterday, since it really was hilarious:

[From another thread...]

Yes a big wicker basket over my head.... she and I were both laughing about it though :D

17. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

May 19, 2010

WOW! Congrats! SO excited for you!

18. Tutor

Tutor Comrade

May 20, 2010

Congrats BioAngel...I took a position in a Catholic school 3 years ago and it is a wonderful place to work. Our diocese has adopted standards that are very much in line with state standards. Have fun planning...

19. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

May 20, 2010

This is Fabulous! What a blessing for you :):)

20. BioAngel

May 22, 2010

So I'm still waiting... I know the principal really wants me, but she just needs to get the okay by the headmaster of the whole school. She called me last night around 9pm and told me that the person she needs an okay from has been away and he hasn't responded back to her contacts.

Now its just a lesson of being patient and keeping in touch, but I am anxious (she mentioned it too, not to read into it and be waiting by the phone so I'm sure she's sensitive to how I feel).

21. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 22, 2010

I'm so glad for you! It's been a long road, but I sense that this is where you were meant to be!

22. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

May 22, 2010

Congrats! I'm sure all your varied experiences will help you here. Celebrations are required for this sort of news!

23. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

May 22, 2010

congrats to you

24. BioAngel

May 24, 2010

Yay--- I was greeted this morning with an e-mail from the principal saying they talked to everybody who needed to be talked to and its all a go! They also provided me with my salary--- $5000 more than what I'm making already. :)

Still no contract to sign--- they need some info to do a background check (which I have no reason to not pass it) and need me to do the usual paperwork. But they're not interviewing anybody else.

So thank you Lord-- I'll be teaching again next year :D

Tonight, my sister, my boyfriend, and I will be going out tonight to celebrate with sushi!

25. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

May 24, 2010

So GLAD! Yea! Another great teacher finds her niche!:hugs:

26. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 24, 2010

Congrats!!!!

27. jwteacher

jwteacher Cohort

May 24, 2010

Congrats BioAngel.

28. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

May 24, 2010

That's great!

29. 2cutekiddos

2cutekiddos Companion

May 24, 2010

Awesome! Sounds like it was meant to be!