Lots of teaching jobs opening up in Atlanta?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by smurfette, Jul 15, 2011.

1. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Jul 15, 2011

3. teach42

teach42 Comrade

4. doodle70

doodle70 Companion

Jul 16, 2011

I guess they aren't listed at TeachGeorgia yet....

Gives you time to get Georgia cert if needed.

5. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Jul 16, 2011

I'm as desperate and in need as they come, but I wouldn't apply to either district. I'd try another field before I walk into a war zone. I'm sure they are getting thousands of applications though. I think I deserve better treatment and will fight for a great district or leave the field.

6. TeachGA

TeachGA Rookie

Jul 16, 2011

Atlanta City doesn't post openings on TeachGeorgia, you have to go through their website. I've applied... their application is pretty long and tedious. I really hope they get some great teachers in there. The kids deserve a lot better.

7. doodle70

doodle70 Companion

Jul 16, 2011

Oh OK I'll look there too. Are you going to the job fair next Friday? They have several counties listed. I'm in Alabama so I might make the drive...

8. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

Jul 17, 2011

APS pays well too since it is often hard to get teachers to stay in that system. I hope they get their act together! My sister in law is an admin for a school in the system (one not in the group of 36 that were in the scandal)

9. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jul 17, 2011

There will definitely be several openings, but be ready to be under the microscope for a long time if hired. They do pay well though.

10. TeachGA

TeachGA Rookie

Jul 17, 2011

The one in Clarkston? I'm thinking about it... it's not in the best area, and I'd rather not go by myself! I may have to force myself, though, because I really want to get into the district that I student taught in and they're gonna be represented there.

I read this: "The job fair is open to Georgia and out-of-state certified educators, to include recent education graduates, and individuals who are eligible for non-renewable certification via an alternative preparation route specializing in the areas of Math, Science, Special Education, Foreign Language, and ESOL." So does that mean they're looking for those areas only? If I'm elementary, should I even bother going?

11. teach42

teach42 Comrade

Jul 17, 2011

I would just go and submit my resume anyway. It can't hurt. It sounds like they are looking for teachers in those areas particularly as those are the ones usually in high demand now. I'm sure they need elementary teachers considering the scandal happened at those schools too.

12. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

Jul 17, 2011

Just asked my sis in law, and she says go to the job fair! The areas listed are ones they have trouble filling, and retaining teachers, to begin with but with all going on they very well have ECE spaces to fill too. :thumb:

13. Go 4th

Go 4th Habitué

Jul 17, 2011

Keep in mind that some of the 178 will be fighting to keep their jobs.....plus, it's all so recent that the jobs may not really be open yet.

They certainly will need a lot of great teachers to help clean up the mess. The kids deserve it!

14. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

Jul 17, 2011

Teachers being let go have until Wed morning to resign. If not, they are being fired later that day per the news this morning. Some of the 178 are going to fight it, but most know they are caught and are choosing to resign. My sis in law said they are looking to quickly get positions filled. Her school had several teachers agree to transfer to one of the indicted schools to fill a spot and her school now has openings too. So keep that in mind as well that not all jobs may be in the schools, but other schools too. Going to be lots of movement in APS for a while!!

15. doodle70

doodle70 Companion

Jul 17, 2011

Yes the one in Clarkston :) and I might do the online one for Fulton Co too. If I could get on in Atlanta with the pay being as high as it is I could get an apt and go home on weekends. It would be a very doable situation.

16. TeachGA

TeachGA Rookie

Jul 17, 2011

Okay cool, I'm making plans to head out there then! Is it appropriate to bring your portfolio to job fairs, or should I just stick with resumes and cover letters?

This whole thing is just a big mess. I feel so bad for the kids. Plus this is one more example of why I DESPISE standardized testing!! :banghead:

17. TeachGA

TeachGA Rookie

Jul 17, 2011

I did the online one for Fulton last year... it didn't really do much for me, but maybe that was because I was a first year teacher? I guess I can try again this time around. I applied for some jobs on the south side of the county, but I haven't heard anything yet.

18. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Jul 17, 2011

How sad! :( I would love to teach in Atlanta and D.C but would hate to move away from my family to teach in a disturbed school system. Especially since the educators in D.C are being deemed "ineffective", I feel for any teachers who are filling their spot. I have confidence in myself as a teacher, and think I will do a great job, but I would already be mentally fragile moving away from loved ones so that would not be smart of me to do that to myself. What's really sad is those poor kids who have to come to school each day and deal with the sudden move of teachers, or to see their "favorite teachers" who have been teaching in their schools, suddenly gone and a bunch of new faces appearing. I know it's a part of life, but still sad.

I definitely agree that those kids need good, strong, solid teachers to fill those spots. I wish I could do it. :love:

19. xitalianacutiex

xitalianacutiex Rookie

Jul 17, 2011

I am actually from the ATL area and I am moving to South Florida because I could not find a teaching job here... Even in preschools! Honestly, a job is a job, but I would not want to walk in to the disaster that is going on in Atlanta Public Schools right now. Up in Delaware, a teacher friend of mine got excessed from the school we were working at. The only position she could get was at the worst rated school in the state. It is so bad that the higher ups removed all of the staff including admin and replaced everyone. My poor friend had the worst year of her life at the school, and I believe most people are getting replaced again because no progress was made.

However, I do wonder how many people are going to try for those positions. I know I would not want to be under that microscope.

20. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 18, 2011

How did some schools have people cheating and others that were not? I guess the K-2 teachers are all staying because they do not take standardized tests? Or the school only singled out certain classes to carry on their cheating scheme? I just don't get it.

21. TeachGA

TeachGA Rookie

Jul 18, 2011

I think a lot of it depended on the administration... basically, "You'll have good scores or you won't have a job." Plus, those 178 are the only ones who got caught. Sadly, God only knows how many others out there who were involved, but weren't implicated. :2cents:

22. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

Jul 18, 2011

Some schools in APS, like the one where my SIL is employed, is in a affluent area and test scores are usually very good. Bonuses began to be given to principals who could show significant improvement in schools that were not performing well and thus some principals began putting pressure on their teachers to "help" the students find the right answers. Money talks loudly and many teachers are now saying they were told do it or lose your job. It's a sad situation all the way around.

23. glitzeyes

glitzeyes Rookie

Jul 19, 2011

In response to Doodle70

Hey what part of Al are you from? I am from the sand mtn area: Boaz, gunts, Albertville etc. I have been trying to find a job for over a yr with no real luck other than along term sub position...It is so political here, all about what you know....I am probably moving back to the midwest but just curcious if u are experiencing any of the same issues?

24. doodle70

doodle70 Companion

Jul 19, 2011

I'm between B'ham and Anniston. The district I am wanting in and I student taught in is like that and even with a former principal and current teacher I can't get an interview.

25. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Jul 19, 2011

Not all of the schools had principals that condoned cheating. Some serve poor students but maintained integrity when giving the test. There are many strong teachers in Atlanta who have been tainted by the ones who succumbed.

So far, I'm impressed with their new superintendent. He seems like a sensible calm person. You may end up enjoying Atlanta City Schools.

26. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

Jul 19, 2011

I feel horrible for those teachers who now feel like they are all being judged by the wrong doings of others.

I do like the new Superintendent and I hope he keeps his word to make all the wrongs right again! :thumb: