lots of 'first' posts tonight

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by czacza, Sep 13, 2010.

1. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 13, 2010

Lots of newbies with questions tonight that seem like 'class assignments'...Does anyone else notice that or is it just me? This is a good place to come for help and advice- it's just funny how many first posts are on the elem threads....

Wait- just noticed several are even from the same state...Arkansas...could it be an ed class assignment at an Ark college? C'mon newbies...enlighten us...and we'll help you out with some of the answers you seek!:haha:

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 13, 2010

I noticed that too!!

4. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Sep 13, 2010

It's that time of year!

5. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Sep 13, 2010

Do you think there are profs out there who tell their students to go to this great website and ask question a, b, and c?

I'm sorry, I find the "I've got an assignment due" posts annoying. I'm in a sour mood, normally I wouldn't even admit that. But I do. Something tells me that most profs' goal is not to test their students internet posting skills, but to actually get them some face time with real life teachers.

I usually just don't respond. Kudos to those of you who do!

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 14, 2010

'Tis the season...

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 14, 2010

I don't THINK there are profs who give this assignment: I KNOW there are profs who give this assignment, because they've said so in a PM. Unfortunately, neither the profs nor the students seem to be aware that, when one comes to a Web site simply to grill its members, one does at least owe the members the courtesy of (a) a decent introduction, (b) a respectful request, and (c) a thank-you afterward.

8. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Sep 14, 2010

I agree with kcjo. I find those posts annoying and I don't answer them. Maybe that's uncharitable of me, I don't know. I figure there are a LOT of teacher boards, and a lot of members, so hopefully, someone else will answer them. But not me.

9. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Sep 14, 2010

I've been on both sides, so I feel torn. I don't like the questions that seem as if they are fishing for opinions to make their own. However, I remember getting survey assignments with short deadlines in college, and I didn't know any teachers. It's easy enough for people who have friends or family teaching, but I didn't just have a teacher I could call up and interview. So, I definitely remember that feeling (and I'm SO not a person who could just call up a teacher to ask them questions--doing it on the internet was much more doable).

(That said, I agree with TG's rules...)

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 14, 2010

I don't even mind answering them if it's supposed to be a survey of teachers.

I mind the ones that begin with "what do you think...?" or "Is it appropriate...?" or other things that are obviously supposed to be done by the person posting the questions.

If you're hoping to become a teacher, rule number one is that you respect education enough to do your own homework. Rule number two is that you don't assume that other teachers are too stupid or uncaring to know the difference.

11. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Sep 14, 2010

I am sitting here trying to recall if I ever had to do any assignments that involved surveying other teachers and I just can't (although is has been a while :p). I guess I don't see the purpose of the assignments at all and maybe again that's my age showing. My prof's would ask me what I think is a good assessment, or MY philosophy on edcuation, not someone elses. Again I am just confused as to the point of the assignment :dizzy:

12. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 14, 2010

It's possible that one point of the assignment is to get students connected with an educational community online. In that case, however, the fact remains that one MUST observe some sort of etiquette.

13. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 14, 2010

I agree with kc.

14. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Sep 14, 2010

I read them to get the tone of the request. If I feel like it's someone genuinely looking for a little guidance, I'll answer. If I feel it's someone looking for someone to do their homework for them, I'll ignore them.

I never had an assignment asking me to survey other teachers. I know I did ask you guys for (a lot) of help when I was writing my philosophy. And you were very patient with me :hugs:

15. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 14, 2010

I got my Masters in 1984.

We didn't get internet access until 1998.

So I never received an assignment of that type. But I think they make a lot of sense-- it gives potential teachers a real concrete view of what teaching is all about, from the difficulites in finding a job to the variety of opinons about most other issues. It's every easy to see everything as black or white in an education class or in student teaching, but a whole lot of greys appear in the real world.

16. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Sep 14, 2010

I am not seeing these threads. Were they deleted?

17. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 14, 2010

No, they weren't deleted. I noticed them, too, before I saw this thread.

If it sounds like someone is trying to find an easy way to get out of doing work, the posts annoy me. If they want to become familiar with established teachers and the online support that exists, I can understand that. But, I'd like to suggest that they read through many different forums, then draw their own conclusions.

18. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Sep 15, 2010

I also went to school well before the age of the internet, so if we had an assignment to interview a teacher, the college arranged for us to visit a school with a group of willing teachers. I can see where using this kind of forum makes those assignments easier, and makes it so that the college doesn't necessarily need to put you in touch with an actual school....I guess I stopped reading the posts because so many of them DID seem to be the student finding a way to not have to do the work him/herself, kwim? Looking for a teacher(s) to interview, well, that's one thing. Looking for someone to design an instructional unit...well that's another altogether.

19. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Sep 15, 2010

lol. I didn't notice. But I would think if a professor assigns outside work to do, it would likely be in a classroom talking to a teacher face-to-face. With today's technology, however, that might not be the case. Who knows.

20. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Sep 15, 2010

I joined this forum to get help on some college assignment, I believe...

or, rather, I came ot the aregular site for some lesson plan ideas, saw the word "discuss" and was hooked.

But I'm pretty sure my first post wasn't about homework asignment... or if it was, I'm sure i introduced myself and why I was asking first. :)

21. Teacher_Lyn

Teacher_Lyn Companion

Sep 15, 2010

I hadn't noticed. I typically feel like if it's something I know the answer to (and I'm not running on empty/too tired to answer) then I response because when I first became a teacher, my team seriously took me under their wing and helped teach me everything I needed to know instead of telling me to just got look it up somewhere.

I feel like it's my duty to help other people. Karma.