Lots of calls from Clark County S.D. elementary jobs/interviews

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by teachertasha, Jul 8, 2013.

1. teachertasha

teachertasha Rookie

Jul 8, 2013

If you are still looking for a job and willing to relocate, check out CCSD in Nevada. I applied June 26th, application was approved for selection on the 5th of July. I had a call the same day for a phone interview and was hired for an elementary job. My phone is ringing off the hook with calls from principals---I have had probably 5 different schools calling today for phone interviews.

3. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jul 8, 2013

And you can take a class trip to Clark County Museum to visit Mark from the History Chanel Reality Shows.

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 8, 2013

Lots of middle and high school positions, too.

5. anewstart101

anewstart101 Cohort

Jul 10, 2013

hmmm hows the pay? My son loves Las Vegas area. . .

How is the school district for special education?

6. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 10, 2013

The pay is not great but not as low as many other places. Here's the salary schedule.

http://www.ccsd.net/employees/current/employment/salary

I will add that there are some good benefits, primarily that the district pays into our retirement on our behalf. It's a significant chunk of change that they put in each year. For me it's around $13k per year.

7. anewstart101

anewstart101 Cohort

Jul 10, 2013

What about cost of living? I wonder about how much rentals would be in a decent area.

8. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 10, 2013

Rental prices have come down tremendously in the past couple of years because of the housing bust. There are tons and tons of houses and apartments for rent at a reasonable price, many of which offer discounts for teachers.

9. Lendurel

Lendurel Rookie

Jul 11, 2013

Hey!

I got a call from Cambeiro ES and after an 11 minute interview they offered me the position. This seems highly odd to me...anyone else think so?

10. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jul 11, 2013

If they have a lot of openings then I'm not surprised. But it might be in a tough area where it's harder to get teachers to stay.

11. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 11, 2013

Maybe a little strange but not too crazy. If you interviewed with an elementary school in CCSD, you probably already passed the district interview and were deemed "eligible for hire". You've already passed the test, so to speak, before you even talked with the specific school site.

12. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 11, 2013

Be sure to add your jobs to the jobs list! Congrats!

13. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jul 11, 2013

I teach in a Catholic school and my starting salary was only $1,500 less than CCSD public school starting salary if I read it right. 32,900 vs. 34,341. My health insurance is free though I pay extra for better dental (like $40 a month). No retirement stuff though and I don't bother paying into a 401k at this point.

14. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jul 11, 2013

My friend just got hired with CCSD. She has been teaching in tiny private schools for the past 3 years while trying to get a public school job. Finally, she decided that leaving the state was worth being able to teach in public school. She has 60 units above a BA because she has a CA credential (30 units) and a Masters (30 units), so she's going to be getting paid really well considering the cost of living there!

She got 3 job offers and actually got to pick the grade level! I just could not believe it! This kind of thing is so foreign in our horrific job market!

Congratulations!

15. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jul 11, 2013

If I was in the CA job market I'd probably leave just for the experience. You can always go back. It's only like an hour plane flight from LA right?

16. VT-HI-PATeacher

VT-HI-PATeacher Rookie

Jul 12, 2013

As I look at the salary schedule I see that it stops on step 9 for class E. Do you know what happens to those that are on class E, step 9, after their 10th year? Do they stay on that class and step until they have enough credits to move to class F?

My wife and I are considering a move to CCSD next year and we would be both on class E, step 9 if we chose not to take any more grad/continuing ed courses. Does CCSD have 100% tuition reimbursement?

17. ECE ABC

ECE ABC Comrade

Jul 12, 2013

:)

18. bison

bison Habitué

Jul 12, 2013

Yes, but you need to go through a two year induction program within five years to clear your credential or it expires, so a lot of people feel like they have to stay in California. You might have seen another thread where a teacher was asking if she should let hers expire because she's not teaching in the state right now. They've become a lot more flexible with the requirements due to the job market though, granting extensions and such.

19. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 12, 2013

The experience steps are limited. Once there are no more downward steps, you're stuck.

The district does not generally offer tuition reimbursement.

20. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jul 12, 2013

They won't let you clear them with experience in other states? If you transferred your license from lets say NJ to CA would you still have to go through the program?

21. teacherwithlove

teacherwithlove Comrade

Jul 12, 2013

Yes. A coworker of mine had an MA in Ed and a credential from NY. She still had to do BTSA. Nobody gets out of it unless you were grandfathered in.

22. AnnNorCal

AnnNorCal Rookie

Jul 12, 2013

This is not what I have been told by the CTC. If you come to California with several years of experience(3+) you are exempt since you are not a new teacher and this is a program for new teachers. If you leave California and teach for 3 or more years and then return to California you will not have to do BTSA and will be able to apply for a clear credential when you return. I asked this question since I was thinking of moving to Nevada to get some experience and then moving back to California after a few years. It's a great way to avoid BTSA.

23. teacherwithlove

teacherwithlove Comrade

Jul 12, 2013

Oh I'm sure you're right. She only had 1 year of experience.

24. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jul 13, 2013

Reasonable.

25. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Jul 18, 2013

2 years of BTSA or three years on the job? Sounds like California....
    I have a CA prelim credential but after applying at CCSD and having a phone interview district HR called and told me that the state had just changed requirements for a teaching cert and I was something like three units short in language arts credits. I thought it was nuts since my BA is in English.

This was a couple of years ago, though. Maybe I'll try it again. If they are indeed searching in CA for applicants, perhaps the person processing my app at that time was just misguided.

26. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jul 18, 2013

Try again! My friend who just got hired had no problems, and she definitely wasn't an English major. She got her credential in 2010.

27. mrs-j

mrs-j Rookie

Jul 24, 2013

I sent in my application for my Nevada teaching license, and applied to the CCSD website on the 22nd. How long before I can expect to hear back from the school district? How long did it take for all of you?

I'm kind of excited at the prospect of moving!!

28. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 24, 2013

:2up:

They have been working really quickly this summer because there are just so many slots that need to be filled. I think you should expect to hear quickly, maybe within a couple of weeks.

First you'll be interviewed by the district, just a generic administrator who will ask you questions from a list. Once you're deemed eligible for hire, your name will be sent out to principals who have an opening for whatever area you're qualified for. Any principal who likes you will call you for an interview. Once they decide to hire you, they will "claim" you in the system, and the hiring process will begin.

Don't be afraid to ask for phone/Skype interviews. Most applicants are out of state, and the district knows that.

Good luck, and keep us posted!

29. mrs-j

mrs-j Rookie

Jul 25, 2013

THANK YOU for the information! I got a call from human resources today saying they are calling my references! I am actually (dare I say?) getting EXCITED! :D

30. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 25, 2013

Nice! Keep us posted!