Lost Wallet

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by MrsC, Sep 7, 2008.

1. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 7, 2008

I woke up this morning to a text from my son (sent in the wee hours)--"I lost my wallet!! What do I do?!" YIKES! He was with a group, off-campus, and isn't sure where he lost it. He lost his student card (which also acts as his swipe card to pay for food and to which I deposited $800.00 yesterday so that he can pay for his books), his driver's license, his bank debit card and his health card. Luckily, he only had less than $15.00 cash with him; I had given him some last weekend, but he left most of it in his room.

I was so glad that he's less than an hour and a half away. I drove out this afternoon to take him his old driver's license (so that he has some photo ID in order to start replacing what is lost), a new wallet, and some emergency cash. I think he was surprised that I made the drive, but I felt that he needed some reassurance. He has reported the wallet lost with both the town and campus police, but will need to wait until tomorrow to start the painful process of replacing what is lost.

Geesh...what next?

3. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Sep 7, 2008

I am so sorry. I hope that someone honest finds it. That was so sweet for you to go reassure him.

4. michelleann27

michelleann27 Cohort

Sep 7, 2008

Ouchhh I am so bad about misplacing my cards and thought i lost 1 one day and called and cancelled it and then found it 5 minutes later. I had to wait 2 weeks for a new one. I am sooo sorry he lost his wallet. Maybe a good person will turn it in. Hopefully with everything intact. Good luck!

5. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Sep 7, 2008

Both of my girls went through similar situations early in freshman year!

He should have been able ( I hope!) to cancel his student card immediately so that someone can't spend all the money.

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 7, 2008

I de-activated his card on-line hours before he was awake! (and nothing had been spent). I've emailed him the link so that he can re-activate after he replaces the card tomorrow morning--thank goodness for his 11:30am start tomorrow morning.

What is it about that first year away?

7. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 7, 2008

:sorry: That's one of the uneasiest feelings in the world. I lost mine once & fortuantely, an elderly lady found it & gave it back to me (w/ nothing missing) in the same day.

8. michelleann27

michelleann27 Cohort

Sep 7, 2008

That is awesome and a great feeling when you get it back in one piece.

9. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 7, 2008

We were on our way to the beach (an 8 hr trip) in a Jeep Wrangler with the top off (not a great idea btw! and not my idea to begin with). The other girl's purse fell out of the back. We tried to go back and look for it, but it was midnight so no luck. A man called her two days later saying that he had found her wallet with everything in tact.

10. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Sep 7, 2008

My niece started college this fall. She chose not to live on the campus, and the trailer she was moving into didn't work out. So now she and her little dog that I adopted for her (3 1/2 lb rat terrier) are living in my parents' camper near campus. Day 1, she left the dog out of her crate while she went for groceries, the dog proceeded to eat the blinds. She also got lost on campus. Day 2 she locks her keys in her car and the campus police convince her it will cost $100 for the locksmith (it was $20), Day 3 she had a flat tire (which I thought she knew how to chage - she doesn't). Day 6 - 10 no classes because of a hurricane. College is having a rough start for her!:dizzy::rofl:
    It's good that you were able to get the student card cancelled so quickly. Hopefully the wallet and it's contents show up quickly!

11. michelleann27

michelleann27 Cohort

Sep 7, 2008

Wow I wish your niece much needed luck :)

12. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Sep 7, 2008

Thanks! We were really worried about her, but she handled it all much better than I could have at her age.

13. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Sep 7, 2008

Loosing your wallet is the worst feeling in the world!! I'm an expert at this, unfort. I left it at a McDonald's in one of the worst parts of my college town my LAST WEEK of college. I was interviewing for teaching jobs, so I had EVERYTHING in it-SS card, license, everything. The guy who took it went on a spending spree and I've been checking my credit report ever since. Last October, I tossed my wallet in my shopping bag the morning of our big Halloween party. Not thinking, I made that my 'trash' bag while cooking for the party and proceeded to throw it down the garage shoot. Once again, I had to replace everything. My husband is pretty sick of it, but alas-some personalities are just prone to flightiness. I really hope he gets everything back together. You are a fantastic mom-my parents were great in helping me call all cards the first time. I couldn't have coped as well without them.

14. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 8, 2008

In the back of my mind I keep hoping that it will be returned--either to him on campus or here at home. I can't expect it, though, and he'll be having to spend much of his time between classes this week standing in lines and making phone calls to replace what's missing.

15. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Sep 8, 2008

WOW!! What a week for her. I am sorry for your neice and for the son with the missing wallet!

16. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 8, 2008

Well, the student card has been replaced, reactivated, and he has been able to spend more than $500.00 on textbooks! (yikes!) I spoke with the bank today and he'll be able to replace his bank card easily tomorrow. It's all working out, I think.

17. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Sep 8, 2008

I'm glad things are working out, MrsC.

I lost my wallet my senior year. Of course, it had everything in it. I called that night and deactivated all of the cards and ordered new ones. Luckily, I had an old drivers liscense that I could use. I lived four hours away from home, so I had to deal with everything myself.

About, gosh, a month or so later, I found it behind the couch. I have NO CLUE how it got there as there was no way it could have fallen behind it, no room, or kicked under it, no room. To this date, I believe that our apartment was haunted and my mischievous ghost hid it behind there.

18. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Sep 8, 2008

That's great news, MrsC! Peachyness, I think that ghost vists me from time to time! :)