Lost/Past Loves

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Oct 21, 2008.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 21, 2008

Share your stories of the one that got away. What made that person so special? If you could, would you get back together w/ that person or let things be? Have you found a better love since then?

I wouldn't say they were lost, but just past loves. I've only really had three BFs, but I have no regrets about the past or desire to get back together w/ them. BF #1 was back in HS, he was a football player so I guess he was popular, a bit of a flirt, but he was nice. BF #2 became a Marine during our dating. He was a fun, nice guy. BF #3 is my current beau. He's the sweetest!

Sure, I may reminisce or look at an old picture or two once in a blue moon, but that's about it. It would feel so weird to be back w/ my previous loves, but I wouldn't mind knowing how their lives are now. But, that was a different time in my life than the present. I tend to look forward & not really think about what might or could have been.

3. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Oct 22, 2008

I love my husband. Dearly. Even when he is a butthead! But, oh, I think there will always be a small part of my heart that flutters when I hear my ex's name. He was my first "love" (as love as you can get when you're 15), my first kiss, my first real date. I will never forget the summer we dated. It was blissful! Not a care in the world, just being 15 and in love.

I love my husband. Truly! But there was a time in my life that I wasn't for sure, and we broke up for a summer. And there was another sweet talker to take his place, another good kisser. I'll never forget him either...{going to Google him just to see what he's up to}

Young loves are great. But I'm so glad I have my hubby snoring in bed next to me. Even when he is a butthead!

4. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Oct 22, 2008

I have none. I have never had a romantic relationship other than the one with my wife.

I love her, but I do sometimes feel like I've missed a part of my life. No one can have all experiences, but. . . .

*sigh* This is a hard topic for me:unsure:

5. Swamp Dog

Swamp Dog Rookie

Oct 22, 2008

ok, this isn't my story, after being married 25 years (this Nov) my stories are looong forgotten, but my son's.

He and his HS gf just called it quits, for now she says. They are both away at different colleges so I suppose it was bound to happen. Still, he went to visit her over the holiday weekend and says they had a great time together. Later that week she tells him she can't handle a long distance relationship.

My heart is still breaking for him. I get tears every time I think of this and I thought I was past it now.

I know they'll both move on and be fine. It's me who's left having a hard time. I'll never know any of his friends, male or female, like I knew his HS friends. I thought I was ready for the empty nest but apparently I'm not.

Sorry, this should be it's own thread.

6. Shanoo

Shanoo Habitué

Oct 22, 2008

I've got a pretty good one.

When I was 19 or so I got a part time job. Everyone I worked with was young and fun and we hung out all the time. One guy in particular and I had an intense connection. I say that I fell in love with him immediately. Even though we went out a couple of times and hung out constantly, neither of us were ready/able/whatever to say and/or do anything about it. I was terribly hurt when he started dating another girl and started to pull away from him. There was still a connection there, however...to the point where we avoided each other at parties, etc. It was really awkward.

Fast forward a few years....I fell in love and married someone else. I would hear about the first guy now and then because of our mutual friends, but I saw him rarely. My husband and I moved halfway across the country and started a life of our own.

Fate, however, had other ideas and less than five years into our marriage, my husband and I decided to get divorced. I flew back to my hometown for a few weeks to be around my family and friends. One afternoon nearing the end of my visit, I decided to take a walk downtown...a completely random and spontaneous decision on my part. Guess who I ran into?

The first guy had decided himself to take a walk that afternoon and we ended up crossing paths. We decided to get a beer and ended up hanging out the rest of the time I was home. As it turned out, he was recently single himself. We exchanged emails and kept in touch after I returned home.

After talking, we realized that the feelings we had for each other back then were still there. We feel like they always were, but it wasn't the right time for us back then...that we would have ruined what was meant to be. What are the chances that I would be walking down that street at the same time as him both of us newly single?

He recently moved out here to be with me and I couldn't be happier... :)

Our mutual friends say that it's about time we got it together - lol

7. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Oct 22, 2008

Awwwwwwww... :wub: What a cute story. I mean, I'm sure getting a divorce wasn't easy, but... meeting up with your first love on a street..... :) :thumb:

Oh, and I don't have any real cute stories like you guys. I had a boyfriend before my hubby and many crushes and been the crushee, but my family moved around SO much, that I never had a chance to get to know anyone. I was shy and socially awkward growing up because of how instable my life was. Glad I'm with my hubby :).

8. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Oct 22, 2008

I was in a bad relationship for so long. I dated after that but never clicked with anyone.
    One night I was out with a friend and met someone. We talked and he asked for my number. We went on our date which I didnt think went well. I was attracted to him and liked him but I didnt think he liked me. I didn't think he would call me but he did. A little over a year we are talking marriage.

My grandparents met and dated when my grandmother was in high school. They both ended up marrying other people why I amnot sure. After they both divorced they reconnected and started dating again but he was sent off to war. They wrote love letters to each other during that time. When he got home they started their family. We never found out they didnt marry till much later in life even though they had 2 children. we arent sure why they waited but we do know they loved each other and were there for each other through all the hard times they went through.

9. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Oct 22, 2008

I have been married for almost 3 years but about 8 years ago I was engaged to someone else. We decided not to get married due to geographical disagreements (he wanted me to move and I didn't and he couldn't move because of his job, etc.) I had still talked to him on and off even after we broke up. He ended up getting married to this "wonderful" woman who seemed too good to be true. He also had a child with her. Turned out she had some SERIOUS issues that I won't bother to go into (I wanted to tell him I TOLD YOU SO hahahha but I didn't want to be mean). Sometimes I wonder what it would have been like to be married to him but I'm happy where I am now. He emailed me shortly after I got married. I told him that I was very happy and he seemed ok...probably kicking himself in the butt for losin a great gal like me :D

10. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Oct 22, 2008

I getting my Guitar out and tying my hair in a ponytail
    Here is my song

To All The Girls I've Loved Before
    Willie Nelson & Julio Iglesias

To all the girls I've loved before
    Who travelled in and out my door
    I'm glad they came along
    I dedicate this song

To all the girls I once caressed
    And may I say I've held the best
    For helping me to grow
    I owe a lot I know

The winds of change are always blowing
    And every time I try to stay
    The winds of change continue blowing
    And they just carry me away

To all the girls who shared my life
    Who now are someone else's wives
    I'm glad they came along
    I dedicate this song

To all the girls who cared for me
    Who filled my nights with ecstasy
    They live within my heart
    I'll always be a part
    Of all the girls I've loved before

The winds of change are always blowing
    And every time I try to stay
    The winds of change continue blowing
    And they just carry me away

To all the girls we've loved before
    Who travelled in and out our doors
    We're glad they came along
    We dedicate this song
    To all the girls we've loved before​

OK the girl I went with in high School, Lynne My first Love and my first broken heart :unsure:
    I college I fell for Ellen but when I transferred from a New York school to a Arizona school I lost her :unsure:
    My first Wife I like her smile she was a Nurse I could sing the song "Jean" to her , She cheated :blush:
    Wife #2 Deanna She was hot, the mother of my Son, She cheated
    Wife#3 Met at church She was a teacher Cute as a button But she wanted more money she is now married to some old rich guy with one foot in the grave :confused:
    Important Girl Friend Kate here was my soul mate I had reconnected with her after years we had met in College and went on our different ways I was ready to move back to Massachusetts when she felt she didn't want me to make a life changing move just to be with her go Figure Broken heart #2 :eek:hmy:
    Wife #4 Terri We met online, talked for 2 years, she moved here as of tonight we are still together :hugs:

Being a workaholic that is how I lost a wife or 2
    Not Making good choices is my problem I don't do a good job of vetting.

11. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Oct 22, 2008

Hmmm... I was engaged pretty soon out of high school to my high school sweetheart. He was pretty controlling, however, as was his mother. We also did not agree on spirituality, but it was mostly the controlling thing. It took three tries, but I finally gave the ring back and it stuck. I haven't seen him since, except for an unfortunate moment of timing on my part-I was stuck standing in line behind him for an hour and a half during election day, 2004. After we broke up, I began online dating. The guys at my college were not into serious relationships, and I didn't want to mess around after being engaged once. It took two years of meeting guys, but I finally found my husband. I'm super happy, but do wonder about fiance number 1. I heard that right before my wedding, his girlfriend passed away of a horrically sudden and terrible bout of Rocky Mountain fever. What the? That made me feel so terrible for him. We went to a very small high school, so everyone knows everything that goes on, and I'm sure he knew about my wedding, and then to go through that terrible heartbreak. I've heard that he's on the east coast now, working as a nurse and that he has a steady girlfriend. As happy as I want to be for him, it does make me a bit sick to think about him with anyone but me, even though I would never want to be with him again. I hate that I can't be happy for him.

12. blessedhands

blessedhands Comrade

Oct 22, 2008

Wow what a coincidence!

I just reunited with a high school crush of mine. We haven't seen each other in 10 yrs. I am going to go and visit him soon. He told me that he had liked me since high school and I'm like, "really, I never knew cuz I been liked you from those times." We started talking as if there were no gaps between our lives. :)

Now we taking it slowly. But our friendship is something I will forever cherish.

13. becky

becky Enthusiast

Oct 23, 2008

Back when I was 15 or 16, I liked this boy named David, and he claimed to like me, too. The thing was, I wasn't pretty, my clothes came from anywhere but Fashion Bug, and when he wrote my name on his binder it was 'Beth', not 'Becky'. Oh, well..
    I let David be my 'first', if you get my drift, even though I wanted my husband- whoever that would be- to be my first. We'd skip school sometimes, and stay at my house all day, making out. Oooohhhh.. it was luscious- at the time. David had a rough home life, though, and in 10th grade he tried to commit suicide. He actually got on the bus after swallowing a bottle of pills. After that, things weren't the same with us, mostly because of his dad. Eventually, we lost touch, then I read in the paper that he had a heart attack at 28, on Father's Day of that year. I called his mother, and she swore he wasn't on drugs- even though I never suggested that. She also laid it on thick that he had a girlfriend when he died. No problem- I was a single mom by then. I was calling out of compassion, nothing else.

I didn't mean to get windy here. There are times, though, that I think back to those days. I wish I could have made more of a positive impact for him, though, especially when he attempted suicide..

14. becky

becky Enthusiast

Oct 23, 2008

BTW- if I ever catch 15 yr old Jeannie with a boy- it will NOT be luscious!!

15. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Oct 23, 2008

Aint that the way it is? "We had 'it' all just like Bogie and Baca-all" and now we don't want our kids to do any of 'it'.

“Cleaning This Gun (Come on in Boy)”

The Declaration of Independence
    Think I could tell you that first sentence
    But then I’m lost

I can't begin to count the theories
    I've had pounded in my head
    That I forgot

I don't remember all that Spanish
    Or the Gettysburg address
    But there is one speech from high school
    I'll never forget

(Chorus)
    Come on in boy sit on down
    And tell me about yourself
    So you like my daughter do you now?
    Yeah we think she's something else
    She's her daddy's girl
    Her momma's world
    She deserves respect
    That’s what she'll get
    Ain’t it son?
    Hey y'all run along and have some fun
    I'll see you when you get back
    Bet I’ll be up all night
    Still cleanin' this gun

Well now that I’m a father
    I’m scared to death one day my daughter
    Is gonna find
    That teenage boy I used to be
    That seems to have just one thing on his mind

She’s growin' up so fast
    It won't be long before
    I’ll have to put the fear of god into
    Some kid at the door

(Chorus)
    She's her daddy's girl
    Her momma's world
    She deserves respect
    That’s what she'll get
    Now ain't it son?
    Y’all go out and have some fun
    Probably be up all night
    Still cleanin' this gun

Now it's all for show
    Ain’t nobody gonna get hurt
    It’s just a daddy thing
    And hey, believe me, man it works

(Chorus)
    She's her daddy's girl
    Her momma's world
    She deserves respect
    That’s what she'll get
    Now ain't it son?
    Y’all run along and have a little fun
    Probably be up all night
    Still cleanin' this gun

Son, now y'all buckle up and have her back by te- let's say about nine...thirty.
    Drive safe.​

16. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 23, 2008

I had a mad, long crush on my church pastor's son throughout jr high & HS, but he never knew it. We never went to the same school, never went on any dates...never even talked on the phone. I just saw him regularly on Sundays in which we just bascially said, "Hello" in passing. When senior prom time came, I really wanted to go w/ him, but had no idea how to come about it. I ended up having a classmate of mine call him & kind of mention that I'd like to go w/ him & he said yes.

So, my senior prom was not only my 1st date w/ HIM, but my 1st date ever (due to having strict parents). That night was perfect & sadly, we never went out again. Yrs later though, we coincidentally worked at the same place & met for lunch once, but that was it.

Fast forward more yrs: He's been married & divorced & has a daughter. I'm still single.

17. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Oct 23, 2008

LIFE'S A HOLIDAY ON PRIMROSE LANE

18. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 23, 2008

Yes, it's funny how life goes!

19. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Oct 23, 2008

I have an old girl friend from High school that I e-mail once in a while a couple of times she has caught me when I was "down" and mad at my Stepdaughter or mad at the wife and she has told me to just come over to her place (180 miles) she is now a widow I have never taken her up on it because I am committed to my marriage in all my marriages I have never cheated

20. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 23, 2008

Well, it's good to know there are still some good men out there. There's a lot of no good women out there too. Now, some people may question why you need to email this lady from time to time when you're married, but it's none of my business.

21. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Oct 23, 2008

Amen! :lol: :haha: :lol:

22. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Oct 23, 2008

Oh it is just that we are classmates ..... we went to HS back in NY she is in San Diego and I am In Yuma I am on a bulletin board for my High School

BTW I wouldn't say she is trying to pick me up .... she just wants to help me

23. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 23, 2008

Yeah, help you...lift your spirits & mk you feel better when you're down about your life back home! ;) just kidding!

24. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Oct 23, 2008

Sort of a reverse story:
    I dated someone for 3 years. It wasn't a good relationship but I can be VERY stubborn and I was determined it would work :rollseyes: Anyway, we finally broke up. A week later he had a new girlfriend. Well, they just got married a few weeks ago. I do NOT miss him what-so-ever, and in hindsight, I know I didn't even like him as a person much less as a significant other. But, it the marriage thing did bother me slightly because I am single. Not terribly, but a bit; not that I want to be married to him, but the fact that he found someone (and so quickly!) and I have not.
    Anyway, somehow his name was brought up the other day while talking to my mom (sidetracking- I am not going home to MI for Thanksgiving and my mom was mad. I mentioned I missed it before when I went out of state with the loser, which is how his name came up). My mom told me his picture was in the local paper the other day. As employee of the month for a local car dealership- working as an oil change person! :toofunny: :rofl: He does have an associates degree and he is an oil change person! Meanwhile, I have a career, my own house, a brand new car, etc... Made me smile a bit :D Or a lot :D :D :D

25. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 23, 2008

giraffe326, I'm sure you were too good for him anyway. And as far as him having another gf the next wk after you broke up, if it happened that soon, I'm sure he knew her all along.

26. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Oct 23, 2008

My love life is boring. My ex-husband is worthy of a thread entitled "The world's worst fathers". Other guys I have dated both before and after the marraige aren't worth mentioning, except for the current ont....

I am in the middle of my own personal romance novel. I'll let you know if anything exciting happens there.

27. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Oct 23, 2008

We all went to high school together. At first, I thought he had been cheating on me, but I worked with her cousin (who hates her) and she helped confirm that he did not actually cheat on me.

*giggles*- oil changes :whistle: I can't help it. It will be funny for a while. I want to go get an oil change when I come home for Christmas! Just to laugh!

28. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Oct 23, 2008

You're BAD :D

29. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Oct 23, 2008

I was fortunate to meet a lot of boys and men and have some good long friendships when I was younger. (Keeps me smiling now.)

A few noteworthy ones

(age 12) " Richard" My first crush and flirtation, we went everywhere together, inseparable, explored an entire city by foot, bus, and bike, ...decided he was gay after I moved away. I like to think that....(no, that's not right. Lord, forgive me.)

(age 18) "Sam" An older (22) marine from North Carolina. Holy cow! southern voice, man in uniform, muscles, older....sigh...(fans herself just remembering that charm) My father used to ask me if his knuckles dragged on the ground when we went out.

(age 23) "Charles" This one came after a long college relationship with someone else that ended at graduation. Charles was the one with the boyish grin, from Boston. Tall, dark, funny, a bit goofy, made me laugh all the time. Had those deep brown bedroom eyes that are kind of turned down at the end. I swear I think they twinkled.

Then blah, blah, blah, husband, blah, blah.

Nothing like those three, though. Loved my husband, but for pure romantic charm....

30. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Oct 23, 2008

Well Back to singing

To all the girls who shared my life
    Who now are someone else's wives
    I'm glad they came along
    I dedicate this song
    To all the girls I've loved before​

Whenever I get in a "what if" mood I just play and sing along "To All The Girls I've Loved Before"

31. xmasqueen

xmasqueen Rookie

Oct 23, 2008

My first love was a Disc Jockey who was 2 years older than me and if my parents hadn't known his parents they would never have let me go out with him. I dated him the summer after I graduated from HS. He was a lifeguard at the public pool also and when he was in HS he was one of the male cheerleaders...we had those way back when in every school....and all of the girls were nuts over him but he went steady with the same girl all through HS. When I met him that summer I couldn't believe it when he asked me of all people out, I didn't run with the really popular crowd...kind of the middle group. We dated that summer and the fall when we were home from college and I fell head over heels. He would dedicate songs to me over the radio when he was DJing and I would swoon. The most memorable one was "Fever"....you give me fever, in the morning, you give me fever all through the night.... (heart goes pitter patter). That next spring I was at church and one of the church busybodies stopped me and asked if I had heard about Max and when I said no, dreading something bad had happened to him, she told me he had to get married because he got some girl at college pregnant. I was heart broken and bawled for days. I met my husband and years later realized how God was watching out for me because my husband is the most wonderful, loving, kind person I've ever met. Max has been married and divorced 3 times that I know of and the first one marriage ended in divorce because he was cheating on her. My heart no longer pitter patters over him but I've been married to my husband for 42 years and I love him more than my own life.

32. becky

becky Enthusiast

Oct 24, 2008

Another BTW- I did catch 22 yr old Kevin with a hickey once. He claimed he was using free weights at the Y and one slipped and hit him in the neck. Lol.

33. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Oct 24, 2008

:toofunny::lol::lol::

Make sure you warn him to be careful of those loose free weights, never know when they might do something unpredictable.

Or maybe suggest he wear a turtleneck, because otherwise people might think it's a hickey.

Or whatever -- I'm sure you can figure out an amusing way to torture him.;)

34. becky

becky Enthusiast

Oct 24, 2008

Well, poor Kevin.. He made the girl mad and she stopped seeing him. She was so mad she wouldn't leave the house that last night until I let her completely vent about him! All I could do was chuckle and welcome her to my world!
    So.. I don't expect him to have another hickey in a loooong time!

35. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Oct 24, 2008

I'm lucky enough to remain friends with a lot of my exes. Just because the love burned down doesn't mean that they lost all the qualities that made me at least LIKE them. One old boyfriend is an executive at CMT (considering he was a total punk rocker in high school, this kills me), one runs a theater company and has gone COMPLETELY conservative on me, and one is in a very happy gay relationship.

The one who really got away was my childhood sweetheart who just couldn't shake his drug habits. I loved him a lot for many years but turned down his proposal the last time I saw him a decade ago. He was gone six months later from an overdose. It still makes me sad. Thankfully, DH is very understanding and deals with me being mopey when the anniversary of his passing hits.

36. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Oct 24, 2008

There's one guy I dated that I really feel "got away." I've been having a lot of pretty big problems with my husband, and I start to think about those other guys. I know it's not a good thing!

But this guy just really had it together. He was very good looking, incredibly smart (sometimes I thought too smart for me), good with money, polite, and everything it seems my husband isn't at the moment. I'm not sure if it would have ever worked out with him-but it would have been nice!

37. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Oct 24, 2008

The list is pretty long (ones who got away). I'm not very good at the whole flirting game. :sigh:

38. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Oct 24, 2008

You got me woo hoo

39. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

Oct 24, 2008

I only had 2 "serious" boyfriends before I met DH. The first one was during my first 2 yrs of HS. He was a senior when I was a freshman. He took me to his Sr. prom, bought my first promise ring. We dated during his first year away at college but grew apart. He said I needed to experience HS life and he was holding me back (Yeah, riggghhhtt!) He tried to woo me back after I started dating boyfriend #2 during my jr. year. Too little, too late. I still catch sight of him every few years. We always smile and say "Hello"

Boyfriend number 2 was just what I needed at the time. His parents were both in education. I had his mom when I was a sophmore and his dad in college. I loved them and his brother like my own family. Unfortunately, he became more interested in hanging with the frat than with me. It made me very sad when I finally ended it. I get random calls when a friend or relative runs into him. Hey! Guess who I just saw! Even my DD called me from work when he came into the store (same one I worked at when we were dating) She had only met him once when she was about 3. He knew who she was right away. She looks just like I did. I guess it was Dejavu for him!

I don't regret either relationship. I learned a lot from both. When I met DH, I knew what I wanted from a relationship.

40. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 24, 2008

Yes, each past relationship, whether good or bad is a learning experience. Although it's not too late, I wish I had dated more guys before the bf I have now. I've only been in 2 relationships. I only had 1st dates w/ a few others plus the HS guy I was too young to actually go anywhere with. He was only able to come to my house.

Here's a story (but definitely NOT a lost love):

I lived in Los Angeles from birth through age 13 & only moved 1x in my life to a city an hr away. Well, at the gym I belong to now was a guy that went to my private school back in LA. We never knew ea other back then, but I was in 7th gr & he was a senior & I remember seeing him around the school. So, when we met ea other at the gym over 10 yrs after the yr I was in 7th gr, I mentioned that we used to go to the same school, & he asked me out. He was a police ofcr. I remember we went miniature golfing. He came over the house another time, but after that, that was it w/ him. Extremely short-lived. He was one of those pretty boy types & being a police ofcr doesn't help when they already are on the egotistical side.

For me, I've met the most guys at the gym.

41. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Oct 24, 2008

It's been a good life. Many good friends and many happy experiences and encounters.

I think I've always fallen in love too quickly.

I'm not in a relationship now, and that's just fine with me. It's very peaceful. My soul is happy. And my bedroom floor is a mess. And I eat peanut butter sandwiches and cereal for dinner. And sleep in big cotton t-shirts.