Lost out on an interview

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by wldywall, Aug 4, 2014.

1. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Aug 4, 2014

A MI district just called for an interview, and I had to ask for another day because I didn't have had money for it today. Grrrrrrrrr

Now I have to hope he can arrange for another day.

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 4, 2014

Could you ask for a phone or Skype interview?

4. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Aug 4, 2014

Wasn't an option for them....but my sister said she would take me......so I called him back and left a message......and now we wait. Thank goodness Friday is payday

5. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Aug 4, 2014

Cross my fingers!

6. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 4, 2014

Oh I hope you get a call back....

Did you get my pm???

7. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Aug 4, 2014

Yeah I did, thanks

8. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Aug 4, 2014

HOLY COW, three calls today!

Of course the MI district is mad that I couldn't come at a drop of a hat, even when I made arrangements and called them back. Their loss.

I have heard from Nevada and Texas already today! Not at the interview stage with Nevada, they need to contact one more of my references, but they really want me.

Texas thought I was in town for an interview in person in two hours, they were disappointed that I wasn't there, however they are trying to sort that out now.

This is what is should have been like with my cert two years ago when I got it.......It is a rare one, highly needed and yet, no interviews the first two years.

9. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Aug 4, 2014

Sounds promising!

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 4, 2014

ALWAYS say you can make it...then figure it out or cancel/ reschedule afterwards...it's a tough market out there...don't give your ompetition an edge...

Years ago there was a good candidate interviewing to be our P...she had to pass on the offer for the next round and wanted to reschedule but my school found someone else in the meantimeme...(s)he who hesitates is lost.
    :sorry:

11. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Aug 4, 2014

Good luck with your upcoming opportunities!

12. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Aug 4, 2014

Note to self, never take an interview call with DH in the background, he said loudly enough for the school to hear that we didn't have the gas money to go. Of course I always have a backup plan, my sister who will make sure I get to where ever I need to be. Alas, DH knows better now.....I hope.

I've had to yell at family members a few times about phone calls for me. I am always awake, I will always take the call, and if I am not home they are to give my cell phone number. PERIOD.

GRRRR. But as my sister says, if they didn't call back, maybe that says more about them than it does about me.

13. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 4, 2014

How supportive is dh of your job search?

14. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Aug 4, 2014

Mostly supportive,he is even changing careers so I can go out of state. He is just a pessimist who rarely thinks of creative. That is what he had me for. :rolleyes:

He feels really bad about it, but hey I called them back in five minds once I confirmed with my sister, if they choose to not return my call its on them.

15. hep223

hep223 Companion

Aug 4, 2014

Just a thought- I always use my cell phone number on applications. I have kids that answer our home phone, but they know to NEVER answer my cell phone unless it is my husband or their grandmother.

Good luck with your calls!

16. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Aug 4, 2014

Wyld, since your sister is supportive of your search do you think she could help you out with a gas card, maybe a prepaid visa? Then you would have it at the ready and she wouldn't have to drop everything. Or perhaps you could get one ready when you get paid? Emergency interview situations only of course...

17. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Aug 4, 2014

Good luck!

18. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Aug 4, 2014

We've talked about it. But this was a unique situation, I have just gotten back from a trip to the Upper Peninsula for an interview.....which we chose to turn into our first honeymoon (after 24 years). Normally gas money isn't an issue, but DH and I splurged on replacement wedding bands......cheap ones, but that was our extra money for the pay period.

19. MissPapa

MissPapa Comrade

Aug 5, 2014

Haha. I did that with one school. I was tight on money because I was still a sub (not to mention saving up for a wedding and moving out!) and they wanted me to come in the morning when I really didn't want to lose a day of pay (I was also LTS). They said they'd call me back. My fiancé then was like "Are you nuts?! Call them back and accept that 12PM appointment!!!!" Within an hour after they called me, I accepted the 12PM appointment. Thankfully they were still at the school and were nice because I'm sure there are others who will be like "sorry, your loss". My day of pay being lost for this interview gave me a full-time job. Funny thing is, all my other interviews this year were after school hours.

So yea, ALWAYS accept. Because you never know what can work out. If it's impossible, then figure something out. Consider it the fact that the principal WANTS to give you her time of day because it's very hard with the amount of work he or she has. If I ever were to be in a position to go on interviews (hopefully not another teacher interview because this school has a good staff and is close to home!!!), I will be accepting the time and day they give me, no questions asked.