Lost my voice

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by runsw/scissors, Feb 5, 2009.

1. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Feb 5, 2009

There is some nasty cold going around, and I got it. It has settled in my throat. The result is no voice whatsoever. This virus seems to be hanging around an average of 3 weeks (our pastor had it as did another teacher and the husband of a third.) I am drinking loads of tea, eating chicken soup, etc. Today I had the kids take turns coming to the front of the room and acting as my microphone for class instruction. It went OK, but chunks of information were lost in translation. Any suggestions about how I can get my voice back and quickly?

3. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Feb 5, 2009

Had the same thing three weeks ago. Lost my voice completely. The first day I had a sub with me to be my voice, but I kept trying to talk! I stayed home after that until it I regained my voice. I still have the cough lingering though.
    I used Vic's vapor rub on my chest at night. I think it helped a little.

4. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Feb 5, 2009

Let your voice rest as much as you can......take a few sick days if possible.

5. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Feb 5, 2009

I know how you feel. I have not lost my voice, but I am horse. I have been popping cough drops for the past couple days. I have also taken cough syrup both daytime and nighttime. It hurts to cough is what it feels like now.

6. piggy2009

piggy2009 Rookie

Feb 5, 2009

same here. it's really tough to handle the class if you lost your voice. and there's nothing to do about it except taking cough drops and cough syrup everyday. if you can, why don't you just a few days off or try not to talk when you're not teaching.

7. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Feb 6, 2009

The kids were pretty good yesterday, but didn't always take the "student teachers" quite seriously. I'm at school again today, but if my voice isn't better by Sunday afternoon I'll be looking for a sub on Monday. I have the painful chest cough, no voice, and some congestion. It sounds like this bug is all over the country.

8. Teacher_Lyn

Teacher_Lyn Companion

Feb 6, 2009

i agree scissors, you need to take this weekend, Monday and maybe Tuesday and try not to talk AT ALL. i'd also force myself to sleep a lot, keep your body warm, eat nothing but hot soup and liquids, lots of lemon and honey.

i hope you get better
    (btw, I love Yakko!)

9. maebowler

maebowler Comrade

Feb 8, 2009

I'm just wondering how your cold started. The last few nights I've woke up every hour because my throat feels full and sore. It has nothing to do with my nose, just my throat. During the day it is better but my throat is still sore.

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 8, 2009

I lose my voice twice a year, regular as clockwork.

The ONLY thing that works is to not talk. Don't whisper, that strains the vocal chords. Simply don't talk, unless it's to yell "FIRE." Pretty much everything else treats the symptoms, not the base cause.

Give the kids a day of worksheets/ reading/ whatever else you can write on the board. No, it's not good teaching. But a day or 2 of it won't kill them, and will allow you to recover.

Remember.. not a WORD!!!

Feel better.

11. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Feb 8, 2009

I felt it coming on early last week, just a general yucky feeling and a tickle in my throat that caused me cough a lot. Wednesday afternoon I only had about 1/2 of my voice left and my throat felt congested if that makes sense, like I had a piece of food caught in it or something. When I woke up Thursday it was a full blown cold. My chest was all congested and my body ached and I had no voice at all. I felt better as the day went on but was completely wiped out by about 8:00 in the evening. I toughed it out on Thursday and Friday, but I am taking tomorrow off and maybe Tuesday as well if this doesn't clear up. I feel miserable and wish there was someone here to give me a back rub. Everything just aches so much!